Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Interstellar

Old 11-28-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought it was really good
Old 12-04-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Something must be wrong with me then because I thought it was terrible. My wife and I walked out with ten minutes to go when Cooper was pushing on the back side of the bookcase because it became so stupid we did not care any more how it turned out. My brother sent me an email a couple days before saying, "Skip it. I laughed out loud several times during the movie." I hate to say he was right.

I love Nolan's work but this was a serious mulligan. It reminded me of the equally well cast and laugh out loud bad "Mission to Mars."

Don't get me wrong, the special effect sequences were good, the robots were really neat, it had an all star cast, and watching Damon lose it was kind of interesting but......It starts out with a thinly veiled global warming preachiness that last for 20 minutes, the actors mail it in, it spends way too much time on scientific exposition, it is too long, and the whole ghost and different time scale plots become heavy and tiresome. When Caine dies reciting his stupid poem I started laughing out loud. When Hathaway makes the speech about which planet she chooses because of the human desire for love. When Cooper is revealed as the "ghost". Hokey fake forced sentimentalism and movie cliche. Nolan does not do that well.

I read one review where they said Nolan was just trying to include too many complex ideas and has to try to dumb them all down and explain too much and it becomes a total mess. I agree. I would not even rent this movie. When they hit the planet Damon was on it gets interesting for about 30 minutes but for me that was about it. I give him credit for trying, but it needed to be scaled down and scaled back. If I had to hold it up against something like Solaris, it pales in comparison.

And Anne Hathaway's face should not be seen on a giant screen. She looks like a crazed gopher.
I have to agree with this. Other than some of the visuals (which I won't list since some of you have not seen it yet), the story line was predictable and ridiculous at times. I watched it in an IMAX theater which I don't regret but three hours of rumbling and screaming with giant Anne Hathaway face made me restless and annoyed. Near the end of the movie, I just wanted to punch Matthew McConaughey's face and leave. lol
Old 12-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Near the end of the movie, I just wanted to punch Matthew McConaughey's face and leave. lol
You say, "I love Lincoln!", when you do that.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fokker
Originally Posted by Gymkata' timestamp='1417725242' post='23427061
Near the end of the movie, I just wanted to punch Matthew McConaughey's face and leave. lol
You say, "I love Lincoln!", when you do that.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6049732.html
Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it was great, really enjoyed it. It passes Gravity in my opinion. I particularly like the fact that depending on how you interpret the series of events, there are two radically different ways to perceive the ending.

Then I again I love movies like Red Planet, Mission to Mars, Event Horizon, etc, so I guess I'm among the "brain dead" masses that needs a scifi flick where you can turn your brain off, not have to overanalyze everything, and not notice any plot holes.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
I thought it was great, really enjoyed it. It passes Gravity in my opinion. I particularly like the fact that depending on how you interpret the series of events, there are two radically different ways to perceive the ending.

Then I again I love movies like Red Planet, Mission to Mars, Event Horizon, etc, so I guess I'm among the "brain dead" masses that needs a scifi flick where you can turn your brain off, not have to overanalyze everything, and not notice any plot holes.

I am in the same boat. I loved those movies you mentioned, especially Mission to Mars.
Just watch the movie and enjoy the places it takes you. I see no need to overanalyze it. I save my overanalyzing for my job.
Outside of my job, I enjoy movies and video game to allow my brain to turn off and go with the flow.

Anyways, Interstellar started off a tad slow, but it was clearly to set the stage instead of rushing into it. The whole premise was awesome. Go to space, find us a new planet. For once I was sitting there going "goddamn, what is gonna happen, I must know!" The end was a little crazy and I looked up what some other people interpreted it as. But overall an amazing movie that I'd recommend seeing.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r' timestamp='1417804114' post='23428107

Just watch the movie and enjoy the places it takes you. I see no need to overanalyze it. I save my overanalyzing for my job.
Outside of my job, I enjoy movies and video game to allow my brain to turn off and go with the flow.
Exactly! I've never understood why people nitpick and point out "plotholes" in movies. Movies are a way for me to just sit there and have fun. I enjoy everything from cheesy stuff like Bio-Dome to movies like Babel and Syriana.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
Originally Posted by suprmonky73' timestamp='1418130284' post='23431459
[quote name='d1rtyc4r' timestamp='1417804114' post='23428107']

Exactly! I've never understood why people nitpick and point out "plotholes" in movies. Movies are a way for me to just sit there and have fun. I enjoy everything from cheesy stuff like Bio-Dome to movies like Babel and Syriana.
[/quote]

I haven't seen Interstellar, and probably won't as I'm not a Hathaway fan at all.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I haven't seen Interstellar, and probably won't as I'm not a Hathaway fan at all.
Her unnecessary emoting in that movie almost achieves Les Miserables-level (aka Hathaway-condition 1)
Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I just saw Interstellar. I had no idea what to expect- i had no preconceived ideas of what is was about to embark on.

This excellent and very smart movie, with a massively talented cast- Matt Damon, not withstanding- follows the vibe set by Nolan's previous works like Memento and Inception. This is science fiction at its best- like most all science fiction- you need to leave certain currently accepted scientific facts at the door. This movie taps into a part of our psyche and a part of our brains, we don't typically expect to use at a movie. I am a massive sci fi fan, have a large science back ground, and really get into the concepts explored in this movie.

This is a movie that is way beyond the normal, way beyond the typical Hollywood fare. I would imagine that those who disliked it- or didn't "get it"- typically need to have their movie going experience packaged in an easy to understand, well, package. That is, a movie which explores concepts which are at least within the realm of possibility, or seem like they could be. And there is nothing wrong with that and I'm not insinuating you are anyway wrong in your likes and dislikes. Interstellar references other dimensions, which in themselves, are beyond our human understanding. Often times to understand, one has to experience- like if someone described the feeling of skydiving, you wouldn't get it unless you actually experienced it. Interstellar asks you to take a ride and understand without prior experience.

When I think about other Hollywood movies- say the Avengers or a James Bond flick (which I happen to love), where you just park yourself and escape- Interstellar keeps you thinking during the event and after the credits have rolled. I feel like you need a post grad in science to even be allowed to rent this movie. I will have to see this movie again to glean more- like Prometheus where each subsequent viewing brings a deeper and wider understanding. I hate to sound elitist, but this movie is for the true science fiction officianado- like Primer. It begs to be discussed with many pints of guiness.

I give it a 9.5/10. I'd give it a 10 but Matt Damon was in it.

darcy

p.s. Just for reference, my all time best science fiction movies are the typical shoot'em up types, like 5th element and Aliens.

Quick Reply: Interstellar