Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cayman S

Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S

After taking delivery on Wednesday and having a chance to drive it for the past couple days, I think I have enough to write a comparative review. Everyone knows the relative merits of the car and can read Road & Track for a subjective review, so I'm going to focus on comparing it to what I've owned and have thoroughly test driven.

S2000 (owned)

As others have noted, the Cayman is really an S2000 on steroids. It's a good bit faster, it handles a little better and it creates that unmeasurable connection that few cars can. The S2000 has the CS on shifter action and tossability and that's about it as far as I'm concerned. The CS offers better handling feel and increased limits just about everywhere.

Overall very similar cars.

STi (owned)

The STi is a very different beast than the CS. AWD gives it a very different handling dynamic where you always feel like the car is fighting your inputs, shifting power around and generally doing what it can to improve on your driving. I felt like I could hop in the STi and easily push the limits of the car without any concern. The CS feels more on edge, demanding a more refined input because there are no differentials to shift power and make you look like a hero.

Power delivery is also very different. My Sti was Stage 2 Protuned, so it had a lot of power everywhere in the rev range. The CS is definitely not as fast, but it actually feels faster due to the visceral nature of the car. The clutch and shifter are about equal to me with the STi being a bit notchier and feeling more precise.

370z (tested)

As magazine reviews have pointed out, the 370z offers very similar performance to the CS, but overall there is just something lacking. The interior of the Z is so much better than the old model, but it just doesn't feel as refined as the CS. The handling is very good, offering lots of feedback with high limits, but it just doesn't feel as connected to the road. The shifter is too different to compare really...the rev-match feature is cool but it does take the driving excitement away to a degree. Although the CS is not very easy to Heel-Toe at everyday speeds (brake pedal is too high).

Power is very similar between the two, however delivery is not. The CS gets stronger the harder you push it while the Z feels like it's fighting you as you get higher in the revs. The was a symptom of the old Zs too, not free revving, and it is definitely better in the new car, but still present. Again, the power may be similar, but the nature of the CS just makes it feel faster and more alive. Must be that German thing everyone always talks about.

M Coupe (tested)

These cars are both very similar and yet so different. The handling is much more refined in the CS while the M is heavier and demands that you throw it into corners. Both fun in very different ways. The shifter, well, the M just sucks. The CDV makes shifting action and clutch uptake such a pita that I did all I could to avoid shifting the car on my test drive. I know you can delete the CDV, but I can't compare the two stock.

Power delivery in the M is similar in that you just keep getting more power the more you let it rev. The M has a wonderful engine and emits a glorious shriek as you rev the piss out of it. The CS is very close here but I have to give the power and delivery award to the M. They both feel plenty fast--the M is more brutal while the CS is more refined.

C6 Z51 (tested)

All i can say about the Corvette is power, power and more power. That's what I felt the vette was all about after driving it. It's fun, don't get me wrong, and it handles well enough for a big car, but I just felt like it was missing something. It wasn't as tossable because of its size, the shifter was vague in comparison to most of the other cars I drove and the interior just wasn't up to the CS standard. I'm not typically an interior guy and the vette doesn't have a bad one per se, but it just left me feeling like I was sitting in my dad's old Pontiac Grand Prix.

The CS basically wins everywhere but power for me. Again, this is just an opinion so the vette lovers should feel free to resist jumping all over me. I know the CS costs a lot more, but when I step into both cars I feel like I'm experiencing something special in the CS while the vette is just a tool for going fast. Hard to explain this feeling.

I test drove a couple different cars on top of these, but they are too far different to even compare. Ii the end, I couldn't be happier with my decision. The car is so clean that everyone thinks it's brand new (like I could afford a $70k car). It gives me a smile and sense of excitement that no other car I've driven to this point can match. I can't wait to start tracking it since I tend to go to Infineon and the STi pushed like a pig there.

Anyone considering a sportscar in this price range should definitely at least test drive the CS.

Ryan
Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 AM

Congrats! Love the Cayman S. What year, colors, equipment?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks man.

It's a 2006 Midnight Blue with Xenon, Bose Surround, Sport Seats, Boxter S wheels, painted crests and a couple other minor things.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

How's the interior feel, size-wise, compared to the S? I'm 6', 250lbs, and wide in the shoulders (and ass, too ) and I'm cramped side-to-side in the S2000. Is there a significant difference in the Cayman?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by tonerockyhorror,May 15 2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks man.

It's a 2006 Midnight Blue with Xenon, Bose Surround, Sport Seats, Boxter S wheels, painted crests and a couple other minor things.
Pictures!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,May 15 2009, 10:16 AM
How's the interior feel, size-wise, compared to the S? I'm 6', 250lbs, and wide in the shoulders (and ass, too ) and I'm cramped side-to-side in the S2000. Is there a significant difference in the Cayman?
The cabin is cavernous compared to the S2000. My fiance was commenting how comfortable she felt and that she got claustrophobic in the S2000 with the top up.

I'm actually 5'10" 200lbs and I find it to be just fine. Height really isn't an issue as the seats go back far enough. What could be a concern for you is the seats. Big butt doesn't matter as the seats bottoms are fine, but the side bolsters might be tight if you have broad shoulders. I do and I'm just pushing the limits of comfort.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,May 15 2009, 10:16 AM] How's the interior feel, size-wise, compared to the S?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys. Wish I was in the market, but I'm not. Maybe someday, it would look great sitting next to the S in the garage.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by exb00st,May 15 2009, 10:18 AM
Pictures!

Hopefully this works. Click on the picture.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 AM
MIC

I went from a S2000 to a C6 and now I'm thinking of making a move to a CS. I'm worried I'm going to miss the power\acceleration coming from a C6. I haven't driven a CS but I plan on to soon. How do you compare the power and power delivery compared to the S2000?

Congrats and pics please!

Quick Reply: Cayman S