S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to: smoke your own sidemarkers and diffusers

Old 10-26-2003, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my clear side markers and decided to go for the smoked look. Instead of sending $50 via Paypal to that website in Germany, I went to the marketplace here at s2ki and bought clear ones for $24.99. I then went to my local hobby shop and bought a $4 spray can of "Model Master - Transparent Black Window Tint" and easily smoked the side markers in a couple minutes. Came out perfect. You can buy this spray online (item #2949) here:

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1019

It's an acrylic-based tint, so it's resilient. However, if you try this and screw it up, you can use paint thinner and start again from scratch. A word to the wise, don't get carried away when you start spraying or you'll end up with a dark blue mess and have to hit the paint thinner. Three quick, light coats is about all you need. Also, check the legality in your state of clear side markers and diffusers.

Also, I followed W1ngman's turnsignal bulb mod from Rick's site and took the amber bulb that came with the clear side markers and colored the tip of the bulb silver with a paint pen. It completely hides any amber in the side marker when unlit. But, when the turn signal is lit, it pours forth orange. Kudos, W1ngman.

Old 10-26-2003, 04:49 PM

Here they are on the car. Next, I'll be buying smoked jdm diffusers from Rick to clear the headlight corners. Eventually, maybe he'll carry smoked sidemarkers too. Meanwhile, this is a solution.

Old 10-26-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post!

Would you recommend a couple coats of clearcoat?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:04 PM

I don't think it's necessary. The acrylic based tinting spray is like a clear coat itself. Plus, I figure if it ever gets messed up, I'll strip it off with paint thinner and quickly redo it.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:02 AM

Finally! Tomorrow I'll have my car back with my smoked jdm diffusers from Rick's, thanks to Duff and Mike. I'm curious to see how the smoked diffusers look with the smoked side markers. Will post pics.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:25 AM

I've got the smoked JDM's on my silverstone and love them! They seem to be the most uncommon corners chosen on the site, but I like them the best on the silverstone, for sure!

As for your home-made smoking, it's great! I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for posting a great write-up!

-Garrett
Old 12-31-2003, 01:23 AM

Thanks, Garrett. Do you have any photos?

I got the car back and the smoked jdm's look great. They do have a slight purplish/redish hue in certain light. I'm curious what it would look like if I had ordered clear diffusers and then used the method above for the smoked look.

I also painted the black plastic piece on the rear bumper below the license plate silverstone to match the body, and it came out awesome! Rpmzzz's car gave me the idea. I think it gives the rear end a slightly lowered look, and makes it look a bit more classy IMHO.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:52 AM

No, I don't have any quality photos... I've yet to buy a digital camera worth using!

You're right about the purplish hue, but I've noticed that it's there with the USDM smoked lenses as well. I'm not sure what the effect of having the clear lenses painted like you did. That'd be an interesting experiment... though a bit costly!

As for your rear bumper, do you have any pics of that? That's a pretty good idea. I'd definitely like to see it.

Take care!
-Garrett
Old 12-31-2003, 11:41 AM

Actually, smoking your own clear diffusers would probably give you a less red hue and if you screwed it up, you could simply remove it with paint thinner. If I had clear diffusers, I'd be doing that now. The spray I referred to above, is a bit more towards the blue end of the spectrum if overused, although used judiciously, it is simply a neutral black tint.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:31 PM

dammit- this is the kind of stuff I love- do it your self cheap mods that actually make a difference- and make your car much more original- keep it up man!

Quick Reply: How to: smoke your own sidemarkers and diffusers