UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I can hardly believe it!

Old 10-30-2004, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can hardly believe it!

There is a distinct possibility my 'little' bit of accident damage may result in my car being written off

The repairer called yesterday to say that the estimate so far for this repair stands at Pds10,800 including VAT and labour That's nearly half the price of a new car and just for damage to one quarter of the car?

He has a good reputation for repairs and is the only one on the Island with the equipment to do the 4 wheel alignment, though I think I may be getting a '2nd opinion'. He's blaming the cost of parts - one bit for the suspension/back axle coming in at Pds1000 plus vat all on its own. He tells me it's touch and go whether the insurance will treat it as a total loss (will know better on Monday), but I think I'll want to argue the toss on that - if the FS board is anything to go by, I couldn't replace my car with one of similar year/mileage for 15k!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:40 AM

I didnt see this on carpers list... So i just wanted to say. I'm sorry that this has happened and I hope that you get everything sorted one way or another....good luck....
Old 10-30-2004, 10:54 AM

Sounds like the chassis is bent if it's going to cost that much

He's right on the suspension. Damper and spring assembly by itself is around
Old 10-30-2004, 10:58 AM

This boot repair was approx.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=neil_s2k,Oct 30 2004, 07:54 PM] Sounds like the chassis is bent if it's going to cost that much

He's right on the suspension. Damper and spring assembly by itself is around
Old 10-30-2004, 11:07 AM

I'm not sure I'd want my S back after that much damage to suspension/chassis/alignment related stuff. Seems it's a very difficult car to fix properly if bent in those areas.

Are you basically not going to get enough if written off to replace with a similar car then? is this normal with insurance (I've never had to make a big claim fortunately)?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:19 PM

New front wing, new drivers door, new washer bottle and motorand wheel arch lining. Paint and Vat
Old 11-01-2004, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by euan,Oct 30 2004, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure I'd want my S back after that much damage to suspension/chassis/alignment related stuff. Seems it's a very difficult car to fix properly if bent in those areas.

Are you basically not going to get enough if written off to replace with a similar car then? is this normal with insurance (I've never had to make a big claim fortunately)?
I've no experience of how this works either, so I'll post when I do know.

I really don't think the chassis is bent, but the rear wheel did absorb the impact.

I also think the repairer may be taking the Michael
Old 11-01-2004, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by euan,Oct 30 2004, 07:07 PM

Are you basically not going to get enough if written off to replace with a similar car then? is this normal with insurance
What the insurer has to do is put you back in the position you were in prior to the accident.

Whether it chooses to write your car off is a decision for them, based on whether they believe it is economically viable to repair it. If they choose to write it off, it follows that they are required to pay to you a sum equivalent to the cost of sourcing a used car of comparable specification, mileage and age.

Invariably, the initial write off valuation offer will be a low-ball offer - as a rule of thumb, you should never accept the first offer. What I'd suggest you do is start gathering together as much information as you can about the cost of a replacement car of comparable age and mileage - use the FS&W board, Honda's used car search engine on its website, Autotrader or anywhere else you can find prices for comparable cars. Send copies to the insurer and insist that it's going to cost you
Old 11-01-2004, 04:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the repairer is taking the piss to the point of it being written off...isn't he going to earn nought from this then?

Perhaps its paining him to stack up the prices to this point?

Quick Reply: I can hardly believe it!