S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

iPod: IceLink or Neo iON?

Old 12-02-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod: IceLink or Neo iON?

Just got a new '05 S (Silverstone with red/black int. - woohoo!), and I have my iPod connection options down to two choices: Denison ICELink 1.1 and the Neo iON. They appear to have the same functionality: both plug into the stock headunit, both use the headunit and dash controls for changing tracks but not playlist navigation, and both leave the iPod in browse mode so you can navigate the iPod as well (Yeah, yeah, I know, its bad to fiddle with the ipod while driving).

The ICELink has 2 advantages I can see: it has an integrated cradle with dock connector, and it is compatible with the proclip mount for the S2K, which mounts the cradle just to the left of the shifter, in a way that doesn't damage the dash or trim, and is convenient enough to change a playlist without running off the road. Both the icelink and the proclip are more expensive than competitors' products, but there's a lot to say for (relative) elegance and simplicity.

My questions for the board:
1-Does one system have different functionality than the other? Note that this is the ICELink 1.1, not the ICELink plus.

2-Has anyone used the ProClip S2K mount, particularly in an '04 or '05 with the ICELink? Does it get in the way? Is it awkwardly placed?

3-How secure is the ICELink cradle? How horizontal can I mount it before it starts sliding? Ideally, I'd like to slide the ipod into the cradle horizontally next to the shifter but i dont want it flying out in a hard stop.

On a semi-related note, it just occurred to me that the new U2 ipod matches my S2K perfectly - red and black front to match the leather, and silver in the back to match the paint. Too cool. (and too bad I can't justify dropping $350 for a second ipod).

Links:
ICELink:
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?opti...d=375&Itemid=79

Proclip:
http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=97&...13126&year=2005

Neo iON:
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/default.asp
Old 12-03-2004, 09:13 PM

on #2 the proclip s2000 vehicle mount is useless - too close to your leg. The proclip ipod device mount is terrific. I attached the mount to a gooseneck from Arkon.

Others have installed inside the sliding center console on 04s and 05s.

Check out www.ipodlounge.com for more information on the devices.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the advice.

ipodlouonge.com seems to favor the Neo iON, which I have just ordered. The iON cable will be hanging loose when the ipod is not in the cradle, unlike with the ICElink's integrated docking cradle, but that looks to be the only real advantage of the ICElink 1.1. There were too many negative reviews about the ICElink and little glitches being reported, both in the official review and in the ipodlounge forums. The iON is getting better feedback, both for product quality and for customer service.

I also got the proclip ipod cradle and vehicle mount. I agree, it's probably a little too close to my right leg to be ideal, but as long as it doesn't interfere with my leg while driving, it should be OK. There doesn't seem to be any ideal place to put it, but if the mount really sucks, I'll probably end up using the cupholder and running the cable in from under the console.

All told: $207 for the Neo iON, shipped, and $64 for the proclip holder + mount, shipped. Overpriced, I agree, but why cheap out on such a small thing when I just dropped so much on such a beautiful car?

I'll post pictures and a review when I get it installed. Until then, it's plain old CDs for a few more days. Sigh, how 20th century.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:22 PM

I had been looking at a solution like this until I decided to go Alpine. I was going to go with the ION as well because I use a case for my iPod (the iSkin) and figured that having to constantly take the iPod in and out of the case to use the IceLink's dock would have been a pain anyway.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by BlueDevil34,Dec 5 2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the advice.

ipodlouonge.com seems to favor the Neo iON, which I have just ordered. The iON cable will be hanging loose when the ipod is not in the cradle, unlike with the ICElink's integrated docking cradle, but that looks to be the only real advantage of the ICElink 1.1. There were too many negative reviews about the ICElink and little glitches being reported, both in the official review and in the ipodlounge forums. The iON is getting better feedback, both for product quality and for customer service.

I also got the proclip ipod cradle and vehicle mount. I agree, it's probably a little too close to my right leg to be ideal, but as long as it doesn't interfere with my leg while driving, it should be OK. There doesn't seem to be any ideal place to put it, but if the mount really sucks, I'll probably end up using the cupholder and running the cable in from under the console.

All told: $207 for the Neo iON, shipped, and $64 for the proclip holder + mount, shipped. Overpriced, I agree, but why cheap out on such a small thing when I just dropped so much on such a beautiful car?

I'll post pictures and a review when I get it installed. Until then, it's plain old CDs for a few more days. Sigh, how 20th century.

Good write up. I also bought the neo ion and have been very happy with it. One of my friends heard how good my system sounds and he ended up getting one for his Audi. I would have taken some photos of the install but my camera is not working. I am looking forward to hearing more about your install and seeing some photos of it.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by walkabt,Dec 3 2004, 10:13 PM
on #2 the proclip s2000 vehicle mount is useless - too close to your leg. The proclip ipod device mount is terrific. I attached the mount to a gooseneck from Arkon.

Others have installed inside the sliding center console on 04s and 05s.

Check out www.ipodlounge.com for more information on the devices.
[QUOTE]
Old 12-16-2004, 02:25 PM

Hrm, my Neo ion came today, but the cables are mismatched:

http://homepage.mac.com/bluedev1l/PhotoAlbum85.html

Sending it back tomorrow. Not sure if I want them to fix it or just refund my money. They delayed my shipment waiting for the right vehicle adapter in the first place, but they were have really good service and were very responsive for such a small outfit.

Can anyone compare the build quality with the Denison IceLink 1.1? Unfortunately, I can't test it before I send it back, since I am much more interested in whether it works.

The good news is that the ProClip (see link above) works great. The mount snaps onto the console to the right of the shifter, and doesn't get in the way of your leg. With the standard (non swivel) proclip ipod mount, the ipod is at about a 30 degree angle and not in teh way of hte head unit - easy to glance at and control by touch. I'll post pictures when I get a new cable installed.

Also, a question about installation: I really don't want to do this myself, but best buy quoted me $70 to pull out my head unit and run the cable. I got the distinct impression that they didn't understand what I was asking them to do, though. Any experiences or tips on what to tell them to get a reasonable quote? Anyone in the DC area, is there a good local shop I can use? Is $30-$50 too optimistic?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:35 AM

Just talked to Neo - they're sending me the correct cable priority mail with a return label free of charge. So a few more days of waiting ... bleh.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:47 AM

Is that ipod mount the proclip model? I looked at the www.proclipusa.com website and they only showed a left side of shifter mount. Are they the same kit just reversable or is it a differnent adapter.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 08:00 AM

My friend got the neo ion for his Audi and I told him to take some photos of the install. Hopefully he remembers.

Quick Reply: iPod: IceLink or Neo iON?