S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine noise, sluggish

Old 04-30-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise, sluggish

Just today while driving home, it shot out a puff of black smoke. now my motor sounds like theres marbles in it and its feels really sluggish. Also, my check engine light is blinking now. And when i slightly accelerate i feel like my engine hesitates really hard. the exhaust sounds like *putt putt putt putt*. Anyone have any idea on what it could be? im going tomorrow to get the cel checked. Also, ive notice a werid smell coming from my exhaust, it almost smells like fireworks. Oh, btw i have 25k miles its a 2000 model. My exhaust doesnt sound how its normally sounds like on idle. motor feels really shaky. thats all i can think of for right now.

edit, Any more info would help.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Thats not a good signs...esp if the cel is blinking which means there is something serious wrong with your engine. Stop driving it now to prevent further damange and have it towed. It sounds like you bent some valves...Did you ever have the spark plug recal? Maybe your number 4 spark plug came lose...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:28 PM

ya, its in the garage. i havent driven the car for a week. n ive kept myself away from high reving due to previous tickets for my car. i dont think i got the spark plug recall. i will check this out tomorrow.

here is a couple of link that my friend thought of.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=engine+blow

ive always changed my oil every 2500 miles.

i will probably check out the spark plugs, do a leak down check, n cel code check.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blinking light just means there is a misfire that could cause damage to cat. All car companies where mandated to use this to get you attention that there is something wrong that could damage the 3way cat. The sound you are hearing is a cylinder not firing that's why it sounds like putt, putt. The ticking noise could be anything from cracked valve retainers or score cylinder wall. The smell is normal if the car isn't running right. The black smoke is a good clue of somthing wrong lol
Old 05-03-2005, 07:29 PM

today i took it into the dealer. the dealer explain that the spark plug did seize, but they said they would have to wait since they said there was a hose that was by pass because of the intake. I had an intake on there exactly 8 months ago, but i took it off quickly since it did not save me gas. the car has been running fine since two days ago. I highly doubt that the intake could cause the spark plug to seize. ive been running on stock air box for almost now 7-8 months. Is the dealer trying to get me by saying it was because of an intake, but i currently have my stock air box. The aftermarket intake was on there for only a couple of days.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:44 PM

Honda is cracking down on modes on S2000, we will not warranty anything if the car has been modified so good luck on your quest. true this will not cause a spark plug to seize but you admitted to having an intake so....
Old 05-03-2005, 11:57 PM

but im wondering im not under warranty. my warranty was up prior to im assuming 2 years ago. im outside of warranty. I do understand that if i was in warranty and i had some sort of alterations that it would void my warranty due to the fact of aftermarket things.

But the problem i am having is actually a recall that was the manufactures made a mistake from factory on the torque spec of the spark plug. From my understanding warranty and recall are different.

A warranty usually covers specified mechanical problems during a specified period of time or number of miles. But modifying it can void the warranty.

A recall is actually the manufacture (that built the car) telling the owners that there is a factory defect that needs to be changed. And im assuming honda did there research and found this to be a problem.

but from just saying that an intake cause the spark plug to explode would result in a faulty spark plug possibly exploding.

I really dont see how it is link'd together since its a recall not and not a warranty.

SteveUCI foudn this "Applies to all 2000-2001, and 2002 from #0026 to #6983. This TSB involves a simple spark plug replacement, where new spark plugs will be tightened to 18 lb-ft. This is free of charge. "
quoted from this link https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...opic=69839&hl=

--------------------------------------------------------------
dlq04 mentioned
15 LOOSE SPARK PLUGS

A small number of owners report major engine failure due to Loose Spark Plugs. An even larger number report finding loose spark plugs when checked. Some owners believe Honda
Old 05-04-2005, 03:32 AM

good job on the searches
Old 05-04-2005, 04:23 AM

Just an FYI, if the vehicle is under warranty and they attempt to deny a claim due to aftermarket modification, they must prove that the mods CAUSED the damage to the vehicle. This is law and it can be worth taking to court if you need a new engine. I also know that many dealers will initiate the recall on the plugs outside of warranty. As for them actually fixing the engine? Well, some people have had luck, some haven't. Good luck on your problem.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:54 AM

Also, here's some info on AWA or After Warranty Assistance, the so-called 'secret warranty'.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/warranties/a...08/article.html

Also, if they say that the failure would have been repaired due to the recall but refuse to fix it because of the 'aftermarket modification' of the air filter, GET IT IN WRITING. Then you can quote them some laws about how they have to PROVE it was the fault of the filter. The main thing is to make sure they say that they would otherwise fix the issue, or they may just say that since you're out of warranty you're screwed. Then use K&N's website here to provide the exact law:

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

Make sure to get them to commit to one thing, then back them into a corner with that one point.

Quick Reply: Engine noise, sluggish