S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GPS based Lap Timer

Old 07-21-2005, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS based Lap Timer

I wanted to review a product that I purchased recently that some of us maybe interested in hearing about.

Note: I am not affiliated with the manufacturer.

Some of us goto enough track events where timing is not offered. This is fairly typical of a HPDE events. (I think...) Until I started running with Speedventures.net, other HPDE didn't have timing at the track so I couldn't get any feedback how the changes I made in the setup of the car translated into faster lap times.

I looked at various RF based IR based lap timers on the market. Most of them cost as low as $200 (MyChron Light) to $300 (Hot Lap). I decided against these RF based lap timers as it needed a sender on the track side and required receiver to be mounted to capture the IR signals.

I went with a GPS based lap timer / data logger unit sold by G2X. It was little pricey for me so I had to sell some of the stuff in my garage that I wasn't using (T1R Test Pipe & Cobalt Pads) to cover some of the cost. Its a self contained unit (no track side sender) thus you can use it at any track as long as you get a lock on few satellites.

Here is my review.....

Installation:

The base unit looks like this... Pretty easy installation with 3 wires to connect. Power (12V), RPM Signal from ECU, Display Unit & GPS Antenna. Stores everything into a CF card.

The base measure items such as:
GPS Track Mapping
GPS Driving Lines
GPS Lap Distance
GPS Elevation
Lateral G's (GPS and Inertia)
Accel G's (GPS and Inertia)

I decided to install it underneath the passenger seat.

This is what the display unit looks like. I decided to attach it to a generic radar detector window mount.
It displays:
GPS MPH
GPS Laptimes
Lateral G's
RPM
oh yea.. RPM shift light..

Magnetic GPS Unit was mounted on the trunk...

I didn't want to review it till I was able to run it at the recent Speedventures.net event ealier this week. (July 2nd, 3rd)

The unit was surprisingly accurate. Its been a while since I took stats but its accurate enough for me.

Speedventures vs GPS Lap Timer

Interesting summary data...

You can also segment the lap to compare session to session difference.

Now, I am not the fastest driver but I think it helps to get instant lap feedback and compare different set-ups from lap to lap. Its probably useful to see a difference in laptime after a new mod or tires.

Since its portable, I can use it on different cars that I will own in the future as well.

Pros:
Instant Lap Time (Accurate)
Self Contained System
Data Logger

Cons:
Pricey
Software is not very user friendly. Comparing diffrent runs takes multiple steps.
Display unit doesn't come with a window attachment kit.
No On & Off Button
Am I fast enough to use this???

Anyways, its a good unit. other hard-core track junkies would benifit from a data logger like this.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:28 PM

Crazy to spend $800 on a lap timer, but that looks like it's more of an entry-level data logger with a nice added feature -- a lap time display.

GPS has its limitations. Some tracks are going to have grandstands/trees/etc. that could interfere. Cloudy or rainy days are going to cause problems. And consumer GPS just isn't super accurate. Even data logging systems use it as a data source they have to reconcile with accelerometers and/or beacons.

I like having a beacon, so that you can know that multiple drivers are all getting timed in exactly the same way. Especially if you've got multiple drivers at an event, and you're looking to compare segment times.

Nothing beats the Ultralap in that department. But this looks like a nicely-priced sysetm. The DL1 is $900, I think, and the Ultralap is about $200. If you only need minimal data logging functionality, that box looks pretty good.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:29 PM

I like it...
two questions:
can I get G numbers and rpm at each section of the course in the segment summary table?
how do you make the segments? can you specify them or does the timer/program do it?
TIA.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 PM

interesting write up. where can i buy one of these? you have a link?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up!

Here's the URL for the company: http://www.g2extreme.com/
Old 07-21-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jonam,Jul 21 2005, 06:29 PM
I like it...
two questions:
can I get G numbers and rpm at each section of the course in the segment summary table?
how do you make the segments? can you specify them or does the timer/program do it?
TIA.
Yea, you can get G numbers and RPM thoughout the course. You create you own segments or automate it by inputing the initial lateral G's and ending lateral G's.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:56 AM

Good write up. The G2X is definatley a data logger first and a lap timer second. For those of you looking at is as an expensive lap timer, your missing out. It's also Racepak's first venture into a lower cost unit. The rest of their stuff is pretty high dollar and used heavily in drag racing and NASCAR. The software is the same for all their stuff so it's pretty robust, pro team type stuff .

I recently started investing GPS based data acquisition for our team and finally came down to comparing the RacePak G2X with the Race Technology DL1. I still have both units for another couple of days or so. Here's the write up that I did over on the improvedtouring race forum below in italics. Executive summary is both units are good and you can't go wrong with either one from a data logger point of view. I've highlighted a couple of key points in the repost. If you have no intention of adding additional inputs later, the G2X is for you. If you plan on adding inputs or want to be able to do segment times from the display in addition to lap time, you should be looking at the DL1 + DASH1 display. Both units do segment times in post analysis on the software.

I have both units for about another week, so if there is a specific question, let me know. Some of these get pretty nit picky as the units are both good pieces. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

G2X
+ display that functions as a lap timer without a beacon (via GPS), and does speed, RPM, shift lights, and gear indicator
+ CF memory
+ robust software, shared with Racepak's more expensive products (very prevalent in NASCAR and drag racing)
+ lots of pro type features in the software like: storing track setups for easy recall at next visit, car setup information, weather station input, stored configuration settings, structure for storing run files
- 50% larger than DL1
- more initial software setup
- each input is a seperate cable
- not many built in inputs
- display cannot not do segment times
= display not required to log data
= structured window setup in software
= add on inputs via Racepak VNet ($$)
= slight hum from some displays (internal power supply)
= top side CF card removal
= $900

DL1
+ smaller than G2X
+ extra inputs (8 + individual wheel speeds)
+ CF memory
+ more intuitive software (v5) with better autoscaling
+ inputs are on 2 screw terminal connector blocks (easy car swapping)
+ video sync capability (additional cost)
- no standard display
- track set up each time you load raw data in v5 (~10 seconds)
- not as polished in the software look & feel
- you make your own data storage folders
= more freeform window set up in software
= add on display: can display any input; in addition to the G2X display features it can also do segment times & splits ($$)
= front side CF card removal
= comes with carry case
= $950 - exchange rate dependant (UK)
= software update (v6) in BETA now

I got a DL1 this time around, but part of that was based on the need to be able to easily swap between cars and that we already had lap timers installed. I also got comfortable with the DL1 software quicker. I can see buying either one and recommend them both.

Al Siem is your man in the US for a DL1 (Action Digital - http://www.actdigital.com/). He has been very helpful, as has Tim at Racepak for the G2X. (http://racepak.com/)

I'll be posting in the R&C forum as I have data to share from the events.

If you have question let me know as I've used the software on both and have been looking into this for a while.

Key point and the reason to buy one of these types of units:
The main learning tool is from the data, more so than the lap times. Also the ease of swapping into someone with a similar car can be very valuable for you as a data comparison point. I helped a friend (who's an instructor, not just a student!!!) pick up 2 seconds at MidOhio (TracQuest) by going out with him and comparing his data vs my data. You've got to be able to look at the data trackside, right after your session for maximum value and impact to your driving.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:10 AM

Note: for whatever reason, I have trouble getting S2ki to load properly from work; so I probably won't be able to respond to any questions until this evening
Old 07-22-2005, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by maxrev,Jul 22 2005, 12:38 AM
Yea, you can get G numbers and RPM thoughout the course. You create you own segments or automate it by inputing the initial lateral G's and ending lateral G's.

Thanks!
Now I want one
Old 07-22-2005, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by jlucas,Jul 22 2005, 07:10 AM
Note: for whatever reason, I have trouble getting S2ki to load properly from work; so I probably won't be able to respond to any questions until this evening
thanks for sharing the write-up..
Both sounds good.. will have to pick one after some research..

Quick Reply: GPS based Lap Timer