S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

UTH changes on the 06 S2000

Old 11-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts
Default UTH changes on the 06 S2000

I got my 1st look/drive at the 06. There are many changes UTH and in other systems that make the 06 stand out from the previous AP1-AP2's.

1. DBW (drive by wire) No throttle cable between the pedal to the throttle body. It's all electronic. this has allowed for several other changes. The cruise control actuator, control unit, Idle air control motor have all been eliminated.

2. Returnless fuel system. There is no longer a regulator on the fuel rail, it is built into the fuel pump module in the tank. The injectors, fuel rail, fuel feed lines have all changed.

This will make ALL the Supercharger kits for the 00-05 cars not compatible

3. No air injection system. There is no longer an air pump mounted under the drivers headlight. The rest of the system has been removed, including the control valve on the intake manifold.
The cylinder head doesn't have injection ports machined. The cylinder head will not swap on the 00-05 cars. (with a stock PCM)

4. New intake manifold casting. There are no additional vacuum ports on the manifold. The intake air temp sensor has been relocated to the air inlet tube.

5. SRS system. Several new components, front impact sensors have been added, as well as a passengers seat weight sensor. The Passenger airbag now is shut off when someone under a safe weight is in the seat.There is also a driver seat position sensor, which changes bag deployment forcebased on seat position. The passengers bag shut off indicator is above the radio door.

00-05 passenger seats will not function with the system. The weight sensor is built into the seat rails.

6. The hemholtz resonator on the exhaust system has changed shape/dimension. they are no oval, instead of being round.

7. ECM logic/SSD mode. The ECM/PCM performs several functions after the key is turned off and removed. You must wait at least 15minutes after the key is turned off before unplugging the PCM. If you unplug the PCM while it's performing the SSD (self shut down) tests you can permanently damage the PCM

8. Maintenance minder system. The previous Maintenance Req'd light has been replaced with a new system. Oil life is calculated based on RPM's and operation conditions to determine oil change intervals.

9. Air filter mounting stud has changed, the air filter from a 00-05 will not fit properly in the 06 airbox.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was fortunate enough to also get a drive/look at the 06. Quite possibly the most comfortable one yet. I'm not sure why, but to me it just seemed more comfortable than my 02. Then again I may be on crack.

I can say that the throttle is much smoother though. Not to mention the added "cubby hole" on the passenger side lower panel that is perfect for cd cases. Pretty hard to make the cd case(s) fall out too.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info chris. this is exactly the kind of info we need.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Former Moderator

My test drive was about 3 miles, with only a few corners. Handling was the same as the 04-05 cars.The trans in the car I drive shifted smooth, even cold. Some of the 04's are pretty crunchy cold.

I will say the DBW was pretty seamless, with no delay to rev match on a downshift. (I can't say the same about the DBW on the 6 speed TL)

The 2.2L seems just as good as the previous models. I wouldn't hesitate buying a 06. I will say it the nicest stock S2k that has been built so far.

I didn't check the weight difference between the previous model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same weight, or a bit lighter due to the removed components from the earlier cars.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Former Moderator

New info added
Old 11-29-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Honda site states it has 237bhp (down by 3) and weighs in at 2855 lbs. I can't remember if earlier models had the LEV II certification, but this model does. A few of the pictures appear to show a different wheel design (a few showed '04/'05 wheels).
Old 11-29-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Nov 29 2005, 01:16 PM
The Honda site states it has 237bhp (down by 3) and weighs in at 2855 lbs. I can't remember if earlier models had the LEV II certification, but this model does. A few of the pictures appear to show a different wheel design (a few showed '04/'05 wheels).
The horsepower technically isn't really down by 3. The SAE calculation of horsepower has changed and thus a lower reading numerically. If the same calculation was done on the 00-05 models, it will also read 237 hp.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other changes I noticed over '05:

Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Vehicle Stability Assist (VSAR) with Traction Control
Including 4 Integrated Roll Bar Speakers
Exterior Temperature Indicator
Old 12-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

more and more comfy and suited as a grand touring car, less and less as a driver's car.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info Chris!

i am a bit disappointed that our little roadster is losing it's previously hyper concept.

Quick Reply: UTH changes on the 06 S2000