S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very Difficult To Shift

Old 07-17-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Difficult To Shift

My '01 S2000 is having trouble shifting through all the gears while driving. The clutch pedal has not changed position or become mushy or anything I have felt when clutches start to go., but the thing is really hard to get into gear. When sitting still, I can go through all the gears without any trouble, but once moving, it gets quite difficult. Has anyone had this problem? I checked the tranny fluid and the clutch fluid all level, although the clutch fluid is quite dirty (Maybe this is it), but I would really like to know if anyone had the same problem. Like I said it's an '01 with 68,000 miles. All stock, and never been in the shop before for anyhing. HELP
Old 07-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you're coasting to a stop sign or light and depress the clutch can you feel the car drag? Is it hard to remove from gear whith the clutch to the floor?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:24 PM

i'm not sure... but try flush out ur clutch fluid.. and check if ur clutch clyinders.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 PM

Yes it has kind of an unusual (once in a while) drag, that feels like the clutch has not disengaged, but it also feels like a clunking. Weird. It only will happens in first gear though, and the clutch must be pushed in, otherwise it stalls.(duh on my part). But that is the weirdness, it feels as though the clutch is not pushed in therefore about to stall, but the rpm's never change. And why only first gear..?.. Any Guess? But it is hard to shift into almost, if not all gears while driving. Oh, and jasonoff, it is only hard to remove from gear while driving, not sitting still...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Try clutch fluid first. How many miles on the car since the last clutch fluid change?
Old 07-17-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonoff,Jul 17 2006, 04:15 PM
Try clutch fluid first. How many miles on the car since the last clutch fluid change?
I'm going to guess NEVER or ........................
It was done incorrectly last time and it's now catching up with him.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff,Jul 17 2006, 02:15 PM
68,000. I think. I bought the car when it had 38,000 on it, and haven't done a thing except top off the fluids and change the oil and tires. It was a Honda Dealership so maybe, (Maybe...), they changed it at 38,000 before I bought it. Does this kind of problem sound like it could be fluid related...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 17 2006, 02:19 PM
I'm going to guess NEVER or ........................
It was done incorrectly last time and it's now catching up with him.
Excellent guess sire I am a fix it when it happens and was never a preventive care type of person. Some day I will learn my lesson... Todays the day!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Ok.. Have flushed and bleeded (bled), the clutch. Greased the fork, and adjusted the pedal (all over the place),. Nothing is working. Now, around the master cylinder piston, do you normally see what appears as grease, or should that area be completely dry? This is the area behind the pedal. I wouldn't say it's leaking, but looks wet. Could it be posssible that the gunk that was in the master be acting as a sealant to a leak. My pedal feels fine, this makes me believe that the hydraulics are fine.
I promise I am not looking for any fix from you guys, but someone who may have had the same problem. Hard to shift, crankwalking at low speeds, high speed stough to shift sometimes. Shift fine with the ignition off. Thank you.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Ek9
Banned

If the hydralics are fine, you need a clutch. Jack stand the car, get someone to press on the pedal while you watch the piston move under the car. If it's moving like it should, it's clutch time. If it's not, then you probably need a master or slave cylinder. I'd probably do both at the same time.

Quick Reply: Very Difficult To Shift