Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Overrev gone bad...

Old 08-16-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Overrev gone bad...

About 3 weeks ago EARLY in the morning (around 2:30am) I was putting my S through her paces. Redline'd 3rd, went for 4th...got 2nd instead. As quickly as I could I placed the clutch back in but of course it was too late. No immediate noises or signs of trouble until the CEL started blinking. After I pulled into a gas station to check things out, I noticed the idle had gone to shit. Thumbed through the owners manual, stopped and started her a couple of times...same result. I was about 15 mins from home, so I decided to tempt fate and get her home because I was too tired to wait for a tow truck + plus I had to be at work in 4.5 hours. Took it easy, didn't go above 4k...car made it home. Next morning I started her up to see if the idle was still fubar'd...affirmative captain. Sent Todd a PM when I got to work asking if I could get it towed out to the shop and got the ball rolling.

Away she goes!

After a scare with the tow truck (never confirmed the car made it till WAAAY late)Todd & Rick get to work to confirm all suspicions, compression test confirms...at least 2 cylinders are affected with one of them having 0 compression! Head gets pulled and sent to machine shop for new OEM valves, valve guides, and a slight mill job.

Look ma' no head!

Yes, the valves did hit the pistons but we're guessing not hard enough to stress the piston any certainly not hard enough to bend a rod. Machine takes everything apart and notices my damn near all my retainers have cracks in them! So Todd orders new OEM 04+ retainers and gets them over to the shop as soon as he can so they can finish up. About a week goes by...head comes back
Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd and Rick are class act guys, I'm glad everything worked out for you!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, that sucks! Glad to hear that shes running normal again. Todd and Rick are the best when it somes to the S2000... you made a good decition taking your AP1 to them. I've read that the Bosch Platum 4's run too hot (for our cars). I have used the Platum 2's on my B16 swapped EF back in the day and LOVED them (better then the NGK's). I will deffently watch my shifting after readding what you had to go through because of a bad shift.

~Clinton
Old 08-16-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,Aug 16 2006, 03:31 PM
Todd and Rick are class act guys, I'm glad everything worked out for you!
I agree with that statement.

I am glad they got things taken care of for you.

Watch those shift spectacle. I am sure no one has to tell you that anymore.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Glad everything worked out. I need to know what machine shop they use so I don't go there.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see you back on the road
Old 08-16-2006, 08:37 PM

Nice work guys! Kudos.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:10 AM

Glad to hear you're back on the road. I was there when they got the problem solved, and both Rick and Todd had huge grins on their faces
Old 08-17-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by j_c_a,Aug 17 2006, 08:10 AM
Glad to hear you're back on the road. I was there when they got the problem solved, and both Rick and Todd had huge grins on their faces
I was there as well and I can honestly say they left no stone (maybe bolt in this case ) unturned when it came to troubleshooting the problem.

They were prepairing to pull the head and start over before the solution presented itself, that is the type of guys they are. They were dedicated to do whatever it took to get the car 100% for you.

Good save guys!!!!!!!!!!1!111!!!!eleven
Old 08-17-2006, 06:38 AM

They do a great job over there, and stand behind their work.

Quick Reply: Overrev gone bad...