S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Soft Top liner Install

Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Soft Top liner Install

I inherited a German soft top innercover at a great price from Dean, who had decided to spend the money on other toys (speed not comfort)

I looked at the installation instructions and decided they were too difficult for me to understand and do, but uhh the man refused to even consider allowing a return for refund. So yesterday I did the install, and it wasn't so bad -- so far.

The only thing that remains is securing the skirts on either side of the back. It looks simple, but space is limited back there. I'm looking on the web for a homunculus who can crawl back and push the plastic strips into their retainer slots. Doesn't Honda make a robot?

The liner makes a big difference. The interior is noticeably quieter on the freeway, and I am also hoping that it will be cooler in the Texas sun.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Jim, this looks like it makes the interior look neater. I'm a fan of neat.

Does it protect the soft top from wear, as well?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Former Moderator

^^^
...makes it look like a prissy Porsche Boxxxster top!

I don't know whether it will protect from wear, Lainey. I raised and lowered my top on the MY00 many many times over the eight years I had it, and I didn't notice any wear. I do keep the car in the garage, though, and treat the outside of the top regularly, so that helps. But it was especially the heat and noise level that I was interested in lowering if possible. It does look neater, though.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 AM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

I too hate the cramped area behind the seats when I'm just trying to clean the inside of the 'plastic' window, which is a lot bigger. Looks like a real fun install Jim.

I have heard of dozens of people who would like to quiet down the road noise when traveling. They have tried some very expensive and time consuming ways to reduce it. One of things that I found out, entirely by accident, is 95% of all the interior engine noise comes from the transmission tunnel - specifically the boot. When I placed insulation in that area I was shocked how it cut out the noise. It is now almost as quiet as my Caddy. However it did take some of the thrill of hearing VETC kick in.

That is inverted insulation at the base.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Jim and Dave,

Can you give me details? I am interested in a quieter cabin. Where can one purchase an inner liner for the top, and how do you add sound insulation to the boot area?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is an interesting piece. I did not know they were making something like that. Kinda completes that raw look of the top when up.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997,Jun 11 2007, 09:48 AM
I looked at the installation instructions and decided they were too difficult for me to understand and do, but uhh the man refused to even consider allowing a return for refund.
What do you mean? I told you that the top came with my world famous "tail light" guarantee. When you see the tail lights of the UPS truck disappear, the guarantee's over.

I'm glad to see the install went O.K.. I was dreading the potential emails and phone calls.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=dlq04,Jun 11 2007, 08:54 AM] I too hate the cramped area behind the seats when I'm just trying to clean the inside of the 'plastic' window, which is a lot bigger.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by goblueS2K,Jun 11 2007, 08:58 AM
Jim and Dave,

Can you give me details? I am interested in a quieter cabin. Where can one purchase an inner liner for the top, and how do you add sound insulation to the boot area?
Dennis, about the soft top liner -- I myself don't have the information about how to order it from Germany. I got this one from Dean, who decided to sell it, so he has the information you need for ordering one. (Has to be paid for in Euros in some special kind of way -- Dean will tell you). I know Howard (DrCloud) also has had one for some time and likes it. I think a number of other S2ki people have installed the same one.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by dean,Jun 11 2007, 09:18 AM
What do you mean? I told you that the top came with my world famous "tail light" guarantee. When you see the tail lights of the UPS truck disappear, the guarantee's over.

I'm glad to see the install went O.K.. I was dreading the potential emails and phone calls.
I figure you must have had it stashed next to your ashtray for a while.. since it smells like a smoke filled room. It looks great! And fortunately I didn't have to go through the process of getting it from the Euro source!

So anyway I didn't think I needed to go for your extended warranty -- the one that lasts until the check has cleared!

Quick Reply: Soft Top liner Install