Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

New custom rear diffuser

Old 01-27-2008, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New custom rear diffuser

So I sold off my J's diffuer, wanting something different. I figured, "Why not have something custom fabricated?" Thats where it all began.

I went to the fabricator, who we call "the goat" (simply because he looks like one, which is.. the awesomes). I've met The Goat through several friends who are in the local auto-x/track scene, he's famous for building ass kicking race miata's, serious miatas (yes, they do exist). Here's a pic of one of his project cars from last years track day in Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA.

Impressed by what I saw, I want something along the lines of that, but on my AP1. So we sat down, Goat an I, over tea and some fine grass, we plotted on the design that I think would look kickass, and that he thinks would work best aerodynamically.

I wanted to chop my rear bumper in half and go for that short bumpered race kaa look, but the animal said NO, not unless I want to chop my trunk. Why do S2K's have to have such low trunks?! trunk spaces are overrated . So out the window my race kaa look idea goes . The diffuser is also going to be made in aluminum, we may possibly make a CF version of it in the future, depends on how this one turns out performance wise.

I also have to ditch my stock exhaust system, I picked up the T1R Power63 V3 headerback exhaust from Gearheads Online at a killer deal. Justin from Gearheads even came over and installed the exhaust for me, free of charge!

Anyways, we had the basic idea down, so up on the lift the car goes. Which also means.. less talky... more pictures.

Custom made brackets are welded onto the rear subframe.

Me participating in the building process / doing some heavy lifting

Under tray mounted up to the custom brackets and "Teh Tunnel" held in place

side angle

Whats this?

We call this "the piece that goes beside "Teh Tunnel"

Creating of the mouting bracket that holds the tunnel to the car

Random shot of rivets (very cool)

Me, at this time, already totally impressed by my KuzToM DiFfUzErrrr

Chance to show off my shiny new T1R exhaust.

Here's a picture of what we've achieved so far, without me in the shot

The mountain goat, bending more sheet metal into ultra high performance pieces.

Ta-da!!!

Add on piece to the undertray.

I've once again contributed to the build, by custom painting my vision of the Goat's true form on his newly fabricated piece.

And here, the last pieces of the puzzle.

I've special requested to have the side fins extend out to my Spoon rear fender flares. For the extra wide gangsta effect.

And at last, the "almost finished" product, now all we have to do it paint the damn thing so it doesnt look so "wild"

However, due to my laziness, this is it for pictures. I will have Justin take more pics for me of the actual finished product on the car sometime this week.

I know you guys are now wondering, "does this diffuser actually work?".

Street driving impressions:

I can feel the difference made by the diffuser on the highway, starting at 100km/m (kilometers, since its Canada here. ), the car felt alot more stable at high speeds while driving straigt on the highway. Also VERY stable at high speed corners, I can now feel the car alot more, and I feel alot more confident in high speed turning, especially through those fast sweepers. This is on an AP1 without any rear wings (most of you with AP1's will know what I'm talking about, a rear spoiler is pretty much a must have), but I do have a J's CF wing going on there soon too (pics to come). Overall it feels great, I cannot wait to try it out on the track this summer.

Special thanks to:
Justin @ Gearheads
The Goat @ Chikara Motorsports

All constructive comments are welcome!

- Ed

UPDATED!! MORE PICTURES
Installation of the J's CF wing at Gearheads Garage

Unwrapped

Snapped a couple pics of the car with painted diffuser on. Much cleaner looking now than the bare aluminum, more more UFO look.

Rear shot. Please excuse the dirty car, the weather was great today so I just decided to park into a parking lot and snap a couple pics on the way home from work today.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Hey Ed, That's pretty wild stuff! If anything, it's very unique!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:26 AM

such a badass diffuser
Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Banned

That's a badass diffuser!

Ocean " A.K.A the goat " really knows his stuff,especially miatas.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 AM

Sweet. I can't wait to see what your new front bumper will be. With all that downforce in the rear from the diffuser and wing, you will need some front downforce to balance out the car.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

that thing looks hardcore
Old 01-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

transformer?!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:59 PM

Updated with new pics, check bottom of original post!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:55 PM

ouuuuuuuuu thats a pretty sick diffuser....
looks great after the paint!

Quick Reply: New custom rear diffuser