Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Exige S update...

Old 05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Exige S update...

Just got in it after not driving it for many weeks (work)

Lotus picked it up while I was away, to fix the hesitation, which was a sticking SC relief valve. The hesitation was really bad, as it was just leaking boost.

It now goes like a rocket Instant throttle response!

Got some braided hoses on the way, leather gear shift cover, small front plate, and been speaking with Sinclaires about another 20 bhp

240 ish bhp and 950 kg should be amusing

Took a small vid earlier, it shows how it pulls from 30 to 70. The 2 markers on the speedo are 40 and 60. It really does fly now. Wasn't me holding the phone, honest.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eg0haTuz0dg

Chuffed to bits!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When are you selling it, Mark?
Old 05-16-2008, 01:25 PM
MBK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seriously considering an Exige S, so i'm interested in your ownership experience.

It would be my weekend toy but even so reported poor reliability and lack of dealer/factory support has stopped me buying in the past, has this changed?? I have no interest in the oily bits so if they are just one rung up from factory kit cars it would not be a car for me - especially at Boxster S money. On the other hand I saw an S give an Atom a run for its money at Abingdon and was mighty impressed. A couple of questions for you:

By your pic I take it you have tracked the car, what attitude do the dealers have to this and warranty work?

What is your verdict on the car, true trackday supercar slayer or slightly fallible toy?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it wasn't for my work situation, I'd be getting an Exige S, but my heart appears to be set on an M3, and hiring cars for track days. Really good to hear you're enjoying it though Mark.

ben's got some spare space in his lodge for the summer ring trip, it'd be great if you're there.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM

I can't comment for MB but after having tried the Elise SC (supercharged) I believe the Exige S may be my next toy - however not until Q3 next year. The reason being that the last 2 summers have been quite poor so I want a couple of nice summers with the Elise first.

However to answer the questions:

By your pic I take it you have tracked the car, what attitude do the dealers have to this and warranty work?
My dealer positively endorses it, as does Lotus, to the point where both Bell & Collville arrange track days and Lotus themselves do open track days at their site.

MB I am really chuffed for you mate I am thinking of going for the Exige S with the performance pack but 16 months is a long way away for me to make my mind up
Old 05-16-2008, 04:02 PM
MB

PL, old un but a good un

Chilled, i've sort of said i'm going the weekend after when Dave's going. I didn;t want to ask Ben about his space as I don't know him too well, and think he'd prob prefer a regular!

I think your M3 plan is a good one TBH. I had the same dilemma but my personal circumstances mean that it's something I had to do now, when I have no need for any sort of practicality.

MBk, i've never heard any real probs with the S2 Toyota cars, this thing is really well screwed together. Also on the dealer front, i've not come across anything like it. Lotus in Hethel are actually on hand for any problems, it's quite strange. They actuall come and visit the dealerships to diagnose stuff too, but in the case of my local, the guys seem to really know their stuff on these cars. Unlike Honda, or any other Jap marque, you just can't see them taking direct to Honda technical on little problems.

It's quite a nice feeling you get

I think they are fine with trackdays, they know i've been on one, and booked in on 2 more. They actually organise a lot of their own anyway. it is built for it so it would be odd for them to kick up a fuss. Hethel do their own ones too.

Again, i'm still also amazed at the quality of the interior. I swore never to own a Lotus for these reasons, but a lot of nice touches like the LED switches and stuff are quite cool.

I wouldn't quite class it as a toy, I could live with it day to day - if it had a rear parking camera

All I can say is try one. It's just nuts
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 PM
MB

Kelk, I had a passenger ride in the Elise SC, brand new orange one. It was a touch less noisy than mine for some reason, but it felt really good. Can't describe the difference, but it felt a bit less nuts, not in a bad way. Has the same power obviously, just a tiny bit more refined.

If I was a roof off person, it would be bloody perfect.

I just preserred the Exige as it's a bit more aggressive.

Interested to see what you think when you drive an Exige S (you might have already)
Old 05-17-2008, 01:13 AM

i saw an exige (s??) the other day. nice noise as he stabbed the throttle when he past me.
was a luuurvely white too!

pictures dont seem todo it justice, the arse end looks real nice in reality!
Old 05-17-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was in my local lotus dealer yesterday looking at an Elise R.

I'm gradually convincing myself that i can live with it on a daily basis.....
Old 05-17-2008, 01:34 AM
Banned

Glad you're still loving it mate. When I got back from Singapore the first time I threw mine into a roundabout I almost made a mess of my pants. It just feels so good in the corners, you feel every blemish on the road surface and the feeling of acceleration is so thrilling. Each day when I rush to get into mine with the roof off, there really is nothing I'd rather be driving.

Until I see the local property mogul's F599.

Nothing looks like an Elise/Exige. They have such a unique shape. Sure, you have pretty saloons like Mondeo's and RX8's, but nothing can mimic the true sports car shape. And that's what I like. Not many people will own a proper sports car, kids, disposable income, practicality all get in the way. And I feel good that none of them stopped me.

It's definitely a car to own before you die, IMO.

Quick Reply: Exige S update...