S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Goodbye #4 Cylinder

Old 01-28-2001, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after reading about Barry WY Silver/Black '01 and Jason Saini's cars and their #4 cylinder problems, it looks like bad luck has strucken again! My '01 Yellow/black was only a month old with 2800 miles on the odometer when that aweful metallic tapping sound hit me yesterday morning. The noise sounded like someone threw a screw in a coke can and shook it around violently, it was the worst sound you would ever want to hear coming from an engine. It came everytime I tried to give the car any bit of throttle, it was especially bad in the 2k - 4k rpm range. I was on the way to an autox event that morning 2 hours away, but luckily that sound came only 4 miles from my house so I could at least turn around and make it home on its own. The sound got worse last night when I had to move the car into the garage, it sounded louder and more violent as if something wanted to come shooting out from the valve cover. After hearing about this problem from other members, I believe that my car has become another victim of having a destroyed #4 cylinder. I don't understand, I've only used premium fuel in the car and babied it for the first 1000mi before even wringing it out. I'm supposed to have the car flatbedded to my dealer this Monday, I'll keep you guys posted on what the problems were and how the dealer handled it.

Questions for Barry or Jason: How long did it take for the dealer to do the repairs and does your car still feel the same afterwards? Also, are there any upgrades I can do to the car while the shortblock/other parts of the motor is disassembled?
Old 01-28-2001, 09:24 AM

What's wrong with this ****ing car? Only three reported problems, but seems like three too many to me. Anyone hear of these types of serious engine problems with the Porsches, BMWs, etc.?
Old 01-28-2001, 09:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpaceNeedle
[B]What's wrong with this ****ing car?
Old 01-28-2001, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpaceNeedle
[B]....
Old 01-28-2001, 10:00 AM

It's very interesting that only the '01 cars have been impacted so far. What could be different? Also, is the current theory still that a lubrication problem is causing the overheating?
Old 01-28-2001, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear AutoEX,
My repair took 19 days, then four more to fix the cooling system problem THEY created, then ?? more to fix the steering system problem. I got the noise on 4 January. First, they ordered a valve cover gasket and waited six days before making the diagnosis. Then they ordered the parts to do the short block repair, then the mechanic worked on it from Thursday afternoon through Tuesday afternoon including half of Saturday. He had to take out the exhaust system, the transmission, "apparently" part of the steering system, and then take out the engine. Then he took off the top half of the engine (part of the combustion chamber, valves, etc) and put the old top half on the new short block, got it back together and inside the car.

During my repair he didn't fill the cooling system properly, so, when I got my car back on January 23rd, it overheated to four bars on the temp gauge in just a few miles. The fix for that was delayed two days because I ordered a Mugen replacement thermostat from King Motorsport. The dealer thought the "new" thermostat they put in with the short block was defective, but it wasn't. I tested it and it opened properly. The mechanic must have gotten too much air into the system when he filled it, not bled it properly.

I have asked my dealer to call the Honda Tech Line tomorrow to ask how much damage probably happened to my engine by getting too hot. It was only for a couple miles.

I picked my car up yesterday at 1 pm and noticed that there is play in the steering wheel that wasn't there before the repair. Back to the dealer tomorrow.

I hope your repair goes better than mine.

Contact me by email (barry@newpa.com) for more details.

By the way, tell them to pull all four spark plugs TOMORROW and not wait for a valve cover gasket to make a diagnosis. They'll find the #4 cylinder's plug is black and the others are clean/white. Honda-Tech asked my dealer to look inside through the spark plug hole with a "boro-scope" (kind like a colonoscope for cylinders) to make the diagnosis. My dealer had to borrow one from another dealer.

Since this has happened now to FOUR USA '01's and NO '00's there must have been a casting problem or some other "during the run" design change to cause this. It sure makes me wonder about the "new" short block.

Upgrades: Any transmission/clutch modifications you want to make or any exhaust system mods you want will be easier/cheaper because those systems will be out. Lighter fly-wheel? Different clutch? Mugen exhaust?

I think the unreliability of the #4 cylinder argues for keeping things stock--keeping the repair responsibility clearly in Honda's lap.

[Edited by Barry WY Silver/Black '01 on 01-28-2001 at 11:12 AM]
Old 01-28-2001, 10:41 AM

ah oh. Let me share my sound. After 600 miles on my 01 (6000 on my 2000), I noticed a noise yesterday that worried me. At 3K to 4K RPM there was a very loud rattling metallic sound from the engine that got louder as the RPM's went up. It was about 3 minutes after firing it up and driving off. It lasted for some time but seemed to go away after another 5 minutes but I had reached my destination soon after. I have not driven it since. Does this sound like the same problem??? My 2000 never made these noises (nor did it ever have any problem).
Old 01-28-2001, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by y2ks2k
Does this sound like the same problem???
Your description sounds similar to AutoEX's. Either you have a major engine problem or you don't, obviously. I'd check the oil level and start it up again. If no problem sound, drive it but still have Honda check it out. If it still has that tapping sound, have it trailered to the Honda.
Old 01-28-2001, 10:59 AM

Update: I took it around my neighborhood for a good 10 minutes after I warned it up. I stayed in 1st gear and tested the RPM band. At 3K RPM the buzzing starts at 4K RPM the buzzing almost rattling noise is VERY loud. It sounds like it could be the engine or the tranny. At 5K RPM it goes away completely.
Old 01-28-2001, 11:19 AM

Wow...if y2ks2k and autoxex both have the #4 cylinder failure, that's really scary. What's really odd is that this has only happened to '01s. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen to mine...

Quick Reply: Goodbye #4 Cylinder