Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Tried tinting my back window

Old 07-23-2002, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tried tinting my back window

I bought this static cling stuff from Canadian Tire. Fairly thick product, 20%. I thought I would try it just to see how it lasted. I know others on the site have done it with no problems. Has any Prairie folk tried?

The instructions said to cut out your size etc (which I have done and it is a perfect fit) then you are to spray water on top. But, my question is how is this suppose to make the tint stick, with water on the outside? I didn't want to have water underneath the tint because of hard water spots (noted: I do not have any baby soap) What is your take on this? Also, I have a ton of little bubbles that need to be worked out. My rear window is the pits. I spent 2 hours cleaning it yesterday, with meguiars plastic cleaner, then plexus, inside and out. I have many little scratches, and a puncture (did not go thru) from when I had my alarm installed. I will be getting the window replaced at some point, but for now I thought the tinting would help.

Or... maybe a retrofit glass window.

Many on the site have said they use plexus and they have no scratches. I personaly think this is not the truth. I use a supersoft cloth, with plexus, since day one, and there are tons of fine line scratches.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xviper's plastic window looks new. He uses plexus.

vtextc has tinted windows on his hardtop
Old 07-23-2002, 06:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Shel,
Get the hard top and tint the rear window on that. Looks so much better, plus people will rarely ever see your softtop window and hence you don't need to worry about replacing it!
Just a thought
Asif
Old 07-23-2002, 06:14 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VTEXTC
[B]Shel,
Get the hard top and tint the rear window on that.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She doesn't listen to me...

I told her just spray paint it black and be happy
Old 07-23-2002, 06:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

HondaGal: A few random thoughts.

I have not been able to find the static cling tint. Are you sure this is the "static" cling? The stuff I got was standard window tint and it did not stay stuck on the rear window at speed. It just peeled off. My stuff was meant to be installed on a glass window and then the edge sealed with clear nail polish. I've looked in Crappy Tire and Home Depot and Revvy. Noone seems to have the "static" stuff.
As for my rear plastic window, yes, I do use Plexus but Plexus is not something that will remove the scratches. It only brings out the clarity and takes out the haze. I used a Macguire's plastic polish to actually polish out the scratches. THEN the Plexus went on. After the first winter of brushing snow off the rear window, it was very scratched up.
If your tint indeed does make mention of a "wet" install, you must spray the water (or soapy solution as in any decal install) on both the rear window AND the "under" side of the tint till both is dripping wet. After you lay the tint on the window, you must then use a soft squeegie to push all the water out from underneath the tint. Only in this fashion can you get all the bubbles out. I have no idea why they would tell you to spray only the outside surface of the tint. It makes no sense to me.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Former Moderator

Here is the product from canadian tire

Axius, static cling, insta cling, 26x78

no glue, place and spray with water. No mention of water underneath..
Old 07-23-2002, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm, the rag top is difficult enought to see out of, add tint and nightime reverse should be fun
Old 07-23-2002, 08:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGal
[B]Here is the product from canadian tire

Axius, static cling, insta cling, 26x78

no glue,
Old 07-24-2002, 05:50 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
I'll have to go look again.