S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Seasonal Warnings and Reminders

Old 09-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Seasonal Warnings and Reminders

EDIT by CKit: The S2000 is not a toy. It is dangerous when operated in an unsafe manner. Don't let your previous driving experience lull you into a false sense of security. See the following thread for people who underestimated driving conditions / overestimated driving skill.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=645876

End EDIT

I'm in my 10th year of ownership and I've been on S2KI for most of it.
Every year we see a bunch of the same mistakes costing owners their S2000s. If not the entire car at least the engines. Very expensive problems so I thought we should put this information out again as a warning for new owners. Many different things need to be known by all and new members often are not aware of some of the most important. Fall has arrived and temps are falling so it is time to warn the new S2000 owners of the perils of fall and winter.

Traction. These cars have all sorts of issues due to the rapid run up of torque and horsepower in a short rpm span. Best to drive like a little old lady and don't take it over 3000 rpm or so when in inclement conditions. It is wise if you can avoid driving in bad conditions and use another car.

Tires need to have adequate or new tread. When cold there is little to no traction. After first rains there can be floating oil slicks on the road.

Torsen differentials add to the perils by adding or releasing torque to the wheels depenedent on both wheels maintaining traction.

Search and look at all the threads about "I crashed my car" or "totaled" There has to be more than a hundred of them. When the conditions are less than ideal the driver needs to be aware of the quirks of this car and never hit V-tec.

If you have a cold air intake you should be aware of hydrolock. AEM in particular has cost many engines. Some AEM intakes can hydrolock your engine from a rain storm without moving. Switch out to your factory intake for the rainy season.

And any season, if you hear your engine starting to make knocks or other bad sounds don't try to drive home. This happens almost weekly costing the owners mega dollars in self induced engine repairs. The same goes for if you think you may have taken water into the intake. Shut it off immediately and call a tow.

HTH
Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And don't use your cruise control on wet and/or slippery roads!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Good thread
Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 PM

Yep, good advice for everyone new to their S2000.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info, I hate reading about those threads. Hopefully this will save more S's this year.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can someone please explain the deal with the plastic window? lets say i wanted to ride top down when the temps really drop is it safe to do so with the plastic window?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mrwilliams,Sep 30 2009, 05:27 PM
can someone please explain the deal with the plastic window? lets say i wanted to ride top down when the temps really drop is it safe to do so with the plastic window?
i think there was just a thread from someone who cracked theirs because of that. i'd try to avoid using it but one tip i've heard was to heat up the interior to soften the window a bit and then drop the top. but i'm not sure if you'll have problems bringing the top back up when the window is cold again?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:43 AM

I know with Boxsters, the owners have a technique called the boxster chop. You begin to lower the top with the plastic rear window, stop it halfway, lightly chop the window to make sure that it folds properly (in a straight line down the middle of the window), then get back in and lower it the rest of the way. Plastic become more stiff with cold temps and is more likely the crack instead of bending at lower temps. This makes sure that it is folding correctly to ensure that chances of cracking are minimal.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my area (NJ), morning temperatures are around 50 degrees right now and I've noticed a marked drop-off in grip from the stock RE050's. It caught me by surprise a couple weeks ago. Now I'm prepared for it and sometimes even have fun kicking the back end out and letting the VSA tuck it back in, but I digress, please be careful as temperatures are dropping as we move into fall/winter. I can only imagine what the tires would be like when it gets to be 45 or lower. I plan to stop driving the S regularly in November.

The best analogy I can draw is when you're chewing a piece of gum and drink some cold water, the gum gets hard immediately.

Be safe guys.

Quick Reply: Seasonal Warnings and Reminders