Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

my 2010 superlap/world time attack build up

Old 04-25-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2010 superlap/world time attack build up

with 25days left to superlap, i thought i would give u guys a diary of my ownership and build up of the car since i bought it new on 6/5/2000 .

here she is spanking new :

and in the garage with the other toys at the time

gate crashed an evo motokhana day with h9krpm and took out best new comer

i was really happy with the car till this happened just outside the 3yr warranty period.
long timers on the forum may remember this

contrary to belief on this forum. it wasnt an over rev, and no it never had been over revved either. it was just retainers being cracked, valve float, and broken rocker arm leading to bits of metal goin throught the rest of the engine. honda australia of course denied any warranty being just outside of the warranty period and typically called it engine abuse . dealer wasnt too helpful either despite the fact it had been serviced at the specified intervals since new from the place i bought it.

so i eventually replaced the engine with a japanese import engine and replaced the clutch at the same time with a light weight fidanza flywheel.

decided to put in some engine monitoring as well with the fantastic Blitz Racing Monitor DC. As i hated having gauges everywhere/anywhere in the car, this device is great cos it monitors coolant temp, engine oil temp, oil pressure, and boost presssure(got none !) in a compact unit with warning beeps if it gets over your preset values.

it was then i started taking the car to the track
i decided to give her a trust 63mm titanium exhaust which weighs only ~4kg compared to the stocker which was almost 30kg

more weight loss reduction in the form of a lightweight battery.

still on a diet with some volk te37 wheels
16x7 +42 with kumho v70a 225/50=16kg
16x8 +45 kumho v70a 245/45=16.8kg

oil was a bit hot hitting 140C on the track so i added an oil cooler with thermo fan on top of it

the car was great at the track but soon the stock diff died. so i decided to replace it with some 4.77 gears as an upgrade. Due to bad mechanic workmanship and installation, who thankfully are out of business my 4.77 only lasted 1 track day before disintegrating.

luckily i had a spare 4.44 diff
but having had 2 diffs go on me , i was rather hesitant to do any further track work with the honda diff. so i upgraded to a nissan r200 diff with 4.3 gears

despite missing quite a few sprint days because of the issues of the differential i still managed a
4th placing for 2006 overall. Had i attended more sessions, based on lap times , i would have been 2nd still on stock suspension !

despite the weight loss from the flywheel, exhaust, battery, the ap1 was a little twitchy on the limit so in went some suspension in the form of tein monoflexes for the new season

some pics at the track

this how the car looked at the end of 2007

however during the season break in testing for the 2008 season, the broken retainer issue came back to haunt me again despite only travelling about ~30000km with the japanese engine with new valve springs and retainers put in at the time of engine replacement. once again the engine was stuffed due to these :

as u can see the cracks happening can't exactly be seen from just taking the rocker cover off

now i was pissed off, time to buy some parts !
darton sleeves

brian crower 2.47 stroker kit

stronger rods

arp bolts, cometic head gasket, cp pistons

pistons coated

titanium valve springs , retainers, and valves

with the engine completed, i decided more weight loss was required out with the sound deadening with dry ice!!

more sound deadening removed around the transmission tunnel !!

lets upgrade the braking system while i'm at it
project mu rotors, and project mu h16 brake pads, project mu brake fluid

with a borrowed racing seat ( thx dave ) and a borrowed oem hardtop (thx AusS2000 ) i entered superlap in 2009 at Oran Park GP circuit

Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 AM

however i had a major coolant leak issue that prevented me from participating at all
only did a few practice laps the day before superlap at oran park before i was overheating and leaking coolant. Despite never driving at Oran park before and only doing about 5 warmup laps before calling it quits, the driftbox logged a 1:24.
i can only wonder how fast i could have gone if i had pushed the car, but will never find out now since Oran Park is gone

in any case when i got back from Oran park, we found a coolant leak around the intake manifold. With that fixed the car was stronger than ever and I took out the Queensland raceway saturday afternoon sprints

the win was not without trials and tribulations though.
i had a Dunlop DZ02g tyre delaminate on the track

the left front oem brake caliper/ piston / pad disintegrating on me. Could have died from this the pictures tell a 1000 words

suspect looking brake caliper

wtf is goin on here with the brake pad ??!!!

omg the piston and brake pad fused to each other

i had no brake fluid or any brake pressure with the brake pad. the brake fluid had all leaked out from the seal as the piston had fused itself to the brake pad.
most likely diagnosis: faulty piston caliper, not releasing properly, leading to it not releasing properly from the rotor, leading to brake pad eventually wearing out completely and overheating.

oh well, time for another brake upgrade ! in the form of a project mu 4 piston slim unit.
with the bigger piston , bigger wheels were required. so out went the 16x7 te37s front... in with 17x 8.5 +30 te37s @ 18.4kg with advan a050 245/40

in preparation for superlap, something extra is going to be needed since this is a world time attack event afterall !
how about a combined PWR radiator/oil cooler

custom aluminium front splitter

OMP Pista carbon fiber racing seat , OMP 4 point harness

more power is going to be needed right ?!
private label header
here on the dyno , glowing red

hmmm still wasnt happy ...c'mon the world is coming right ?!.. MORE POWAAAR
head porting

more weight reduction and engine response from a light weight T1R crank shaft pulley. bought 2 for good measure

hang on a minute ! we need some safety right ?!
Hard dog rollbar !

so the car now was like this
with an APR GTC-200 wing

still need 2 means of securing the bonnet to appease CAMS
bonnet latch !

hmmm still need more POWAAAR
3" exhaust, no catalytic converter, no muffler , minimal bends for maximum flow. however i do have the cat, muffler to bolt back in for the road

but hang on , more weight reduction is needed !
time for a carbon fiber hardtop

as it is, with 25days to go, i'm still waiting on bigger injectors to arrive and a final retune
probably in the next fortnight or so.

Having never driven Eastern Creek racetrack, i'm not expecting any miracle times. i'm just glad to be amongst some other monster cars and international drivers there. I hope to put in a decent showing, so if u haven't had a reason to be at Superlap, this is a shout out for all s2000 owner/drivers to come and give me some support there (Since we never had the 10th S2000 Australia Anniversary that got cancelled earlier in the year) .
Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thread, I have always wanted to read more about your car. My car will be heading in a similar direction soon. Does this car still see the road? Goodluck with superlap I will be in japan but cheering on elias's and your car in spirit.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 AM

bad ass subcribed
Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 AM

I'm looking forward to World Superlap - hopefully you'll turn more than a lap this year!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Woo hoo, let's organise a drive day to SuperLap!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 AM

A few of us from the Brisbane crew will be there to support fireball, so it'll be great to meet up with anyone attending from Sydney (or interstate for that matter).
Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amazing build!!! saw some pictures of it last time didn't know who's car it was but god dam. I'll be floating around superlap being sure to keep a lookout for this beast
Old 04-25-2010, 06:38 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great read, JS... might see if I can come down to be one of your cheer squad!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi fireball--car's looking great! good to hear it's so competitive!

have a question though: i also want to get that harddog model with both the diaganol and harness bar welded, but with the harness bar lowered. i noticed your car has the exact configuration i wanted, with the seatbelt bracket attachements as well. but i was wondering, are you able to use a harness with the bulkhead and seatbelts in place?--always seemed to me that the harness would hit all that stuff?

Quick Reply: my 2010 superlap/world time attack build up