S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Potentially blown motor.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potentially blown motor.

Well, the unthinkable has happened. I believe that I may have blown my motor. I was wondering when this day was going to come but wasn't counting on it tonight!

In any case, here's the story. I was driving home from a dodgeball game, yes, dodgeball, when a suzuki bike pulled up. Not sure what model, but it was quick. We had a few go's but I was too paranoid about cops so I was constantly laying off when I felt like I was going too fast because there's a poilice station close by. To cut it short on this encounter, we were pretty much dead even although he'd get the jump on me, I'd reel him in and if I managed to get the jump, I'd stay ahead.

Finally, I decide to see if he wants to go on a longer stretch of road and he does. As he follows me, I get on the throttle and he does too and as I'm going through the gears, I'm in 6th and everytime I'm looking out the rearview, I can see a bit of smoke through the brigthness of his HID lights out the back when suddenly my car shuts off and he changes lanes and goes zipping by.

I tried to start it while coasting but to no avail, so I pull over to the side of the road and after a few tries, the car starts up again, but I hear a bit of a noise that sounds like a very faint helicopter rotor that is depenent on rpms.

I manage to drive my car home and the noise is still present an can be heard with the hood up, but the car did manage to drive home and the turbo is still spooling. I did not rev it at all, but when driving, the blow off valve was still able to expel some air.

upon arriving home, I popped the hood and noticed some oil around the matting area of the head and block and there is a large amount of pressure coming out the breather filter on the valve cover. I turned the engine off and noticed that there is a huge oil loss and it's around the Low point on the dip stick.

The car still starts; however, I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to diagnosing blown motors so what's the consesus hear? What needs to be repaired? An entire engine, block, head gasket? I need someone to help elucidate me on this situation.

If this helps, the car was tuned on AEM EMS with seimen 630 injectors and a t3/t04e 60 trim turbo with stock compression and stock head gasket.

I apologize for the long read but appreciate any insight anyone can offer.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI:boosting in 6th gear is usually a bad idea.

As far as your motor, excessive crankcase pressure is usually rings/ringlands/or tapered cylinder walls.

Depending on the damage (assuming pretty extensive since you drove it home) you are looking at pulling the motor, having the block bored, new pistons.

This is of course a vague assumption until you actually look.

Do a compression/leakdown test and report back.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM

so i guess the new wastegate bolts did their job! lol

too bad it ended like that for ya. if you wanna go to all the effort and cost, get it built. if not, just buy a new longblock and install it in a weekend and be back on the road and no new tuning needed(just stay away from full boost in 6'th. load will get ya!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Oct 21 2010, 08:26 PM
so i guess the new wastegate bolts did their job! lol

too bad it ended like that for ya. if you wanna go to all the effort and cost, get it built. if not, just buy a new longblock and install it in a weekend and be back on the road and no new tuning needed(just stay away from full boost in 6'th. load will get ya!
haha yes sir, the new bolts their job just fine!

I just couldn't help it, the bike was not passing me and i wanted to stay ahead! Oh well, lesson learnt. I was wondering how long this would have lasted on stock compression. To be honest, I drove this car hard and fast every chance I got and loved every second I did! Just to clarify because I don't think I mentioned it, it was running at around 10 psi. I was tuned at around 8 psi at around 320 whp at about 3000 ft elevation and cranked it up to 10 and was seeing afr's at around 11:1 and it was smelling a bit rich especially at idle.

So yeah, from the sounds of it, this definitely isn't the head gasket then aye?

I reckon if I need to pull the motor, I'll go with a 3mm head gasket.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:31 AM

^no!!!!!! stay far far away from any crazy non-oem gasket!i would use a grilled cheese sandwich before a damn IP 3mm. lol
Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Oct 22 2010, 04:31 AM
^no!!!!!! stay far far away from any crazy non-oem gasket!i would use a grilled cheese sandwich before a damn IP 3mm. lol
hahaha
Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by siadam,Oct 22 2010, 12:21 AM
FYI:boosting in 6th gear is usually a bad idea.

As far as your motor, excessive crankcase pressure is usually rings/ringlands/or tapered cylinder walls.

Depending on the damage (assuming pretty extensive since you drove it home) you are looking at pulling the motor, having the block bored, new pistons.

This is of course a vague assumption until you actually look.

Do a compression/leakdown test and report back.

But just to clarify about the 6th gear thing, I'm Not exactly sure what you
where doing. But you don't want to be doing a final gear pull from a lower gear speed. Lets say 60 or 70 because it puts a hella load on the engine.
But if your in sixth because you need to shift out of 5th then its my understanding that is okay. But then again I don't think its a good idea to be doing over 150 on public roads either.

Post up some pictures when you take it apart I'm interested to see how much damage you have considering the situation. If you where doing a top speed run it makes me wonder because I see you have an early AP1 did you change the oil jets ?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jacko,Oct 22 2010, 01:42 PM

But just to clarify about the 6th gear thing, I'm Not exactly sure what you
where doing. But you don't want to be doing a final gear pull from a lower gear speed. Lets say 70 or 80 because it puts a hella load on the engine.
But if your in sixth because you need to shift out of 5th then its my understanding that is okay. But then again I don't think its a good idea to be doing over 150 on public roads either.

Post up some pictures when you take it apart I'm interested to see how much damage you have considering the situation. If you where doing a top speed run it makes me wonder because I see you have an early AP1 did you change the oil jets ?
No I didn't change the oil jets and that's another thought I had. The moisture around the matting of the block and head is definitely oil and not coolant, so I'm thinking it's a ring or ringland that broke.

Again, the oil was at the low mark when I got home and checked. I'm looking for a new engine as it is and was looking to drop the compression this time, but im curious as to why some are opposed to a 3 mm headgasket. Is it just the IP or is it any gasket in general?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 PM

^because it becomes a giant weak spot in your engine.

if youre gonna lower the compression, do it right and build that beezy with pistons&rods. thick headgasket is a cheap fix that costs you more in the end. its an absolutely awful product.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the car is tuned properly then a 6th gear pull should be fine .

Quick Reply: Potentially blown motor.