JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Mugenless!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugenless!

It's been a long time since i've posted on S2ki, and to be honest a lot of those years I don't regret not being here. I bought my stook in October of 99. It was BB, and beautiful.
After a foray into Volk (still love em), and a lot less reputable companies in both the aesthetic and performance oriented arena's I really came to the conclusion that Mugen had my number. Everything fit like OEM, and I never lost on the Dyno which is saying a lot for the stook. My S ended up being a rolling Mugen catalog. Somewhere in 1999 I saw a Road and Track cover of the silver Mugen SS2200. I was in love. Hence my love of all things Mugen. As stated above I almost have every SS part except for the rear bumper, exhaust, seat, and front sway bar. I'm lucky enough to have had all of the rest. My engine threw a rod in a spectacular fashion on an on ramp in 2005, smoke pouring out of my carbon hood. I rebuilt the motor with updated oil sprayers (Honda of course denied warranty even though I was a tech working at Honda). Iron sleeves,upper brace, Forged pistons, Con Rod's, Dual valve springs, ported head, Spoon head gasket, ARP head bolts, TI valves, endless radius seats, and a whole lot of sweat... she was running again (to 11,000rpm) and well. Power only dropped off at 10,400rpm so 11,000 was deemed safe for over rev. Since I was running 13:1 compression only a 100 + octane would do, especially with the Mugen ECU which runs very lean but has a nice torque advantage. Well at this point my car was a little unbearable to drive. The NZ suspension and the soft top removal, and Amuse single had sort of killed it for me. Yes, at 10/10th's it was a blast, but anything less and I was hating the fact that I couldn't talk to anyone in my own cockpit. So the car sat....and sat.....and sat. I got into racing motorcycles, modifying my CBR600RR with of course Mugen exhaust and other Mugen bit's. All fantastic, and well sorted. Unlike almost every other american motorcycle supplier. I wish they had offered race bodywork because even the better brands of bike bodywork sucks. Had to give that up due to new fiancee and kids. So, I find myself in 2015 with 3 kids, a lot of cars, one Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto (love it over any superbike), and a new business.
So, one day last week I walk out to my driveway and look at my fading BB S, and see all the rust on the disk's, the bad rubber, the horrible crack in my front CFRP bumper (due to an unknown parking lot ass hat). I felt bad, and it didn't help when I walked into my bedrooms's bathroom and found my dry carbon Voltex Type 4 wing sitting there (never used). I know i've digressed quite a bit, but I feel there is a need that people understand that i've been here for a long time with a modification bug that extends to every part of my life including guitars. I am the owner of the 3259 USA S2000 made. And you have to realize I was probably the 3rd person in CA to receive one (they don't ship by numbers). At least us CA owners were pretty rare in the first few months. My car before this was a 1956 Porsche speedster that I rebuilt. I replaced the pan and had the motor rebuilt by the "maestro" and then of course sold it.I didn't want to make the same mistake twice with the s.
I've missed S2ki quite a bit and decided to write some observations from an original owner. I'd occasionally come on here to see what the rage was, but since 2000 + the FFurios, everyone and there sister was into it, and sometimes not for the right reason.
I've been lucky enough to own some of the best parts for the S2000, and in reality most of them have been Mugen. Are all Mugen parts totally hardcore racing parts? No. But they do enhance the S2000 in a way a lot of companies forget, just to enjoy the ride. I will miss knowing these parts aren't around anytime I want them. Of course a lot of stuff happened between when I bought the car and now. Turbos. 8 second S2000's (CRAZY!) widebody, stance, and a million other things. In this Forum I just wanted to say I'll miss Mugen being a part of the S2K (not every part.. but a lot!). Because of this I had a friend in Japan search everywhere for the only part in my kit that i'm missing. Out of the hundreds of call's he sourced an SS rear bumper...as it turns out one from a shop that couldn't sell it because they didn't have the exhaust. Lucky for me Kingmotorsports (who I first inquired about getting both pieces) has an exhaust. No bumper. Perhaps they were meant to be together. Sorry to have made this so long winded but I really feel nostalgic towards my S, and to Mugen who really made me smile every time I put one of their little or big works on. Thanks Mugen....you're awesome! And, to those who say JDM is crap and overpriced, PM me and I have a pic for every piece of junk I bought that I cringe to think I helped a copy industry with. Buying cheap copies is like downloading media for a fraction or free. It's stealing. The companies that replicate didn't pay to wind tunnel test or autoclave. Sorry..rant. So those of you with experiences similar to mine, I would suggest getting any S2K Mugen parts now. Especially aero, as it is done in batches.

P.S.

All information that Mugen
is stopping production on
"most" S2000 parts came from a
Mugen distributor in Japan.
The "official" word was "we
aren't pursuing that line
right now". But the dealerships
translation is it's done. A few
items have officially been marked
as discontinued. More to follow.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any pics of the car?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

It's on stands. It look's horrible. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
Here's one from an 05 autocross. My engine hasn't blown at this point
so I don't have the Mugen baffled pan, engine mounts, hard bushings, etc.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:06 PM

It's a real shame that Mugen is closing it's door to the S2000. What a great run it was!

Though, it's nice to see they are developing new products for Honda's new line up of cars like the S660!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:20 PM

Received 3,375 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Great post

I've been bitten by the Mugen bug kind of late in my ownership but I agree with all of your opinions. Great parts , a bit expensive but not overpriced if you consider and appreciate quality. I firmly believe all of the power numbers Mugen advertises for their parts, one of the few manufacturers that does not over-inflate their power numbers IMO. Good choice going with the Mugen exhaust, one of the few exhausts that is easy to live with day in and day out.

I never heard of them dropping the s2000 support, I better pick up a spare filter for my Mugen intake. lol.

I don't know about that 11,000 rpm motor but I hope it has a happy long life, blown motors really suck.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

That was very difficult to read, but i agree for the most part.

To be honest though, Mugen really died (to me) when they reorganized and became M-TEC. The old Mugen used to make legit parts, like baffled oil pans, sway bars, hardened bushings, etc. They have made a couple of decent stuff in recent years, like the new Recaros and the CTR BBK, but for the most part they just make OEM optional-ish aero kits and light exterior mods now. I wish they made a wider variety of parts, especially performance oriented, like Spoon.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they tried too hard to get picked up by Honda, like with the Mugen civic that sold for $30K plus, because they probably feel there's more money in that and gives them a larger audience. But yeah I definitely agree Chris.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
That was very difficult to read, but i agree for the most part.

To be honest though, Mugen really died (to me) when they reorganized and became M-TEC. The old Mugen used to make legit parts, like baffled oil pans, sway bars, hardened bushings, etc. They have made a couple of decent stuff in recent years, like the new Recaros and the CTR BBK, but for the most part they just make OEM optional-ish aero kits and light exterior mods now. I wish they made a wider variety of parts, especially performance oriented, like Spoon.

I have to agree with you there. I love my MF-10's and first run Mugen S2000 parts, but I kinda threw up in my mouth when
I saw the gas cap cover and rear view mirror cover. Regardless their products for the S have been copied and used by just
about everyone. Glad I still have their aero and that it's not too copied as everyone seems to love ASM now.