Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Moving into 'cash' for a while

Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stocks been going up dude. just ride the upward curve. dont get off the bus when its goin to the top of the hill
Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Yeah, what's funny is that the EU and the US are teaming to increase pressure (sanctions) on Putin as predicted...but the markets seem to have shrugged it off.

I'm happy to be wrong. Far better than a global economic meltdown.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1405712483' post='23249887
i will say that even tho i am optimistic for the market overall, Tech is what scares me. Tech is getting way overvalued IMO. Especially some of these newer companies. Seeing what valuations these companies are getting funded at are shocking sometimes. feels like another tech bubble to me.
I'm in the (Silicon) Valley, and trust me, there's a feeling of 1999 all over again in terms of consumer spending (artisinal toast) and some irrational behavior (more artisinal toast). A couple of things:

2. There's value in the size of userbase. Fine, I could understand that for advertising. . . but it appears that the data set generation is as valuable as the potential advertising market (per app). I see value, but not the monetary amounts being discussed.

3. There appears to be value in the widget/sharing/interconnection process. Somehow, that's extensible. However, selection for the best sharing scenario per business model seems fickle.
So, after talking to some folks, I was SPOT ON with this idea. Turns out the user data is bought and sold. If you have an app/widget/website that yields useful information to advertisers and sellers, you're selling pure gold.

Moreover, when your widget/app/website has hooks/shares/API integration with a larger data set (Twitter, Facebook, Google User Services), the value increases. Whether or not you get acquired by a Facebook, Twitter, or Google is moot: the integration widget makes the targeting of user data more sellable to the people who want to buy.

4. As I write this, I'm not ruling out that the price of the company is being dictated by the outstanding cash of the potential purchaser modulo the outstanding cash of the potential purchaser's primary competiton.
This may be what s.hasan was looking for:
How To Rig The Entire IPO Market With Just $20M
Old 09-21-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Historically, 92% of market returns are captured by having the proper asset allocation. The other 8% is due to market timing and security selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 AM

That's a great statistic.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is another one that goes "If you miss the best X days of the market each year, you miss out on X percentage of the gains." I forget what the numbers are, but they are pretty drastic. Long story short = stay invested.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:07 PM

Yeah, I'm going to jump back in after this little correction.
It's basically where I sold.
*shrug*
Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Yeah, I'm going to jump back in after this little correction.
It's basically where I sold.
*shrug*
And what were you paying for the privilege of jumping in and out (and back into) of the pool in terms of fees/commissions/etc.?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Nada.
I'm shifting between funds within the same parent company, so there's no fee.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Nada.
I'm shifting between funds within the same parent company, so there's no fee.
That's substantially different than moving to cash per se, especially if you're just reallocating percentages.

Quick Reply: Moving into 'cash' for a while