New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Autocross Discussion Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Autocross Discussion Thread

Thought we should have a new place to discuss the season. (As opposed to continuing the Novice School thread.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7UgaC4wXc

Nice narrative of a course by Junior Johnson at the beginning.

@ 2:05 Check out the B Mod car. That is my competition this year.
@ 2:13 Jinx Jordan, I finished second to him at a National Tour in my white X1/9.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Plan on attending a Test and Tune event this Saturday in Albany and could go to the Points event on Sunday too.

OK, will also add this in here

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by A 2' timestamp='1336057854' post='21665851
oh! and Cone Mark...this last weekend. I drove the Si to an empty parking lot in an office park and tried the skid pad exercise without VSA. Car would understeer on the limit and no matter how much gas I gave it I could not induce oversteer. Adding throttle will pull a front wheel drive out of an oversteer condition. Typically, oversteer in FWD comes from taking weight off of the rear, ie trail braking. I lifted for mild rotation

Next day, I went back bright and early to the same location in the S. Repeated the skidpad exercise and then found two lamp posts between which I was practicing the Figure 8. All is well, VSA was turned off, the car was understeering and I'd lift to bring it back in line. As I was getting comfy, I decided at one point where I corrected the understeer to stomp on the gas pedal to see if I could get the rear out. I did and how. Car did a complete 180 degree turn under power and both feet went in to bring the car to a halt before I caused damage to a lamp post. Good that you are finding the limits. Be aware of the surroundings, don't want to see you damage anything. Smooth inputs is key. As you learned, "stomping the gas" really affected the car. I was quite a ways clear of the lamp post and the parking lot was empty. Wanted to get a feel for what would happen. I wont be trying that stunt again and will be more judicious with my use of the gas pedal

This is fun. I think I need to do this some more before I get the star specs on (the new tires have arrived and are sitting boxed in the garage). I will be running this weekends test and tune on the old all-seasons before I upgrade prior to Ellen's drive.

Also wanted to ask, when I go to the MOHUD event, should I be asked to be put in Stock Class or is there anothe class I should be asking for? Hope having the spoiler will not be a disadvantage to classification. You should be in B Stock. See if they have a novice class or street tire class. No body should complain about the spoiler at a local event.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate cones
I'm done
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM

I think I've posted this in the past, but it is worth another look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkdyrd3QXT0
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only venue I ever liked

Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM

I've read the book, but haven't watched the videos yet. Probably dated, but the principles still apply.

Autocrossing with Dick Turner
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Only venue I ever liked

Fun place. Not much variety of lines. I prefer the mental challenge of reading a parking lot course.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM

Dug this out of the archives. Car had 700 miles on it in this pic.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM

Another oldie...

Mine was the yellow/black one. The blue one had an intercooled turbo rotary and belonged to the guy that I share the current car with.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

^ Nice pic Cone Mark. Are those pics of the Seneca Army Depot that Doug posted?

Quick Reply: Autocross Discussion Thread