New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days - 2013

Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3 Days, I'd be psyched! Have fun be safe and keep the shiny side up!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by pgss2k
3 Days, I'd be psyched! Have fun be safe and keep the shiny side up!
Yes, it certainly is something to look forward to!

I swapped out my brake pads last night. Midnight meeting tonight. Will put the numbers on tomorrow night, check my fluids and make sure my oil filter is tight. On Friday plan to take the car out for a test drive and re-acquaint myself with the 6 speed gearbox.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

For anyone that would like to see what driving on track is all about, NASA NE, has a Hyperdrive during their HPDE event at Lime Rock Park. Click the link below and select the Hyperdrive option.
https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1588

You pay $50 and for that an instructor will ride along with you as you and a group of other cars follow a pace car for a 30-45 minute session of lapping around Lime Rock Park with speeds not exceeding 55 MPH.

As this is not a high speed event, you can also drive a truck, SUV or your winter beater of choice. Helio (centurions2k) participated in the hyperdrive last year in his CR-V and enjoyed it a lot. This is a good option if you've always wanted to experience driving on track but would rather not take the risk. Its cheaper too and if you show up, Jeff might buy you dinner in Millerton once the event concludes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's everyone using for tires? I bought a set of RPF1 with star specs so I figured I would see how those go first. Just curious what everyone else is using?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 PM

There will be no dinner in Millertown! You've clearly forgotten the "Case of the Speed Trap and the Heavy Stones"? This is how it went down:

"I felt like Bertie Wooster, after sleeping fitfully on a plank bed and being hauled to the dock at the Basher Street Magistrate’s Court next day after Boat Race Night.

The magistrate, after spending an inordinate time scowling over the police report, looks up, and referring to me as “The Prisoner S… ”, asks how I plead. Caught off guard, I respond “Huh?”

She says, “You are charged with violation of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 1180 OD! How do you plead?” “Huh?” I say.

“That’s Speeding in Zone!” she almost shouts. I feel the wooden ruler wielded by the nun teaching third grade wacking the back of my cold hand! “Huh?” I say.

Her Eminence looks like she wants to reach over the bench to grab my lapels and throttle me. But instead, she announces: “The Prisoner S… will talk to the Prosecutor.”

So I’m hauled into a back room by the bailiff and shoved into the wooden chair. I wonder if this is anything like the chair they used to electrify the other prisoners. The prosecutor comes in. “Look here”, he says, “you have serious trouble with this judge. You can’t plead “Huh?” She can give you a $300 fine, plus surcharges and 15 days in jail. Then she can hold you in contempt!” “Huh?” I say.

“I’ll do you a favor. I’ll recommend ‘Stopped on Pavement’”

I look around. Three guys that look like unemployed lawyers trying to score a client have come in to watch the proceedings. I ask “Should I take that”. They all kind of nod like it would be a good idea. So I ask the P, “What’s the fine?” He says: “Plead guilty, keep your mouth shut and hope for the best.” He fills out a paper and says: "Sign here."

So in a bit, they haul me back into the court. The clerk calls out “The State of New York v. J.S., case number 1959645, The Prisoner S. is here on a substitute charge of violation of New York Vehicle and Traffic Law 1201A, Stopped on Pavement - How do you plead?”

I didn’t know why she needed such a big voice to make that announcement, but before I can open up my mouth to say “Huh?” the Prosecutor retorts: “He has a written plea of guilty, your Honor!”

She looks at me suspiciously - I mumble assent - and before I can blink, she announces “Fine of 100 Bob”.

You remember Sir Watkyn Bassett? The Magistrate who inflicted the monstrous sentence on poor Bertie - to the accompaniment, I may add, of some very offensive remarks from the bench. Bertie always felt that Sir Watkyn came by his wealth by sticking like glue to the fines. Five quid here, five quid there - you can see how it would mount up over a period of years. I had that exact same feeling about the magistrate in Millerton."

So you can see how I have no real desire to go back and risk being swept up with the other undesirables by the local constabulary.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM

Dave,

The entrance to Lime Rock is from White Hollow Road. From your direction (west to east), that will be a right off of Route 112, also known as Lime Rock Road. As you approach White Hollow Road, you will not see any evidence of the track. That is all past the turn.

You go past a few houses and the entrance is to your left. The entrance road splits. Stay left. You will come to a booth and be asked to sign a waiver of liability. Then you proceed through the main gates, cross the bridge and bear left down the hill. At the bottom of hill, bear right and look around for me - or just find a place to park. Get in to register at the tower (another waiver) and then get your car into line for the tech inspection.

Mongo,

Are you going? Would be great to have a third and would like to see progress on your car. You can't rely on my tire choice since I'm just there for a drive in the Park. I have new Sumitomo HRZ IIIs on the car with about 8 miles on them.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongo84
What's everyone using for tires? I bought a set of RPF1 with star specs so I figured I would see how those go first. Just curious what everyone else is using?
I use RS3's on Prodrive 17" wheels. Staggered 225/255 tires.

-Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Star Spec Z1 on the AP2V2 wheels. Hankook all season tires prior to that.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could have made it for this event, still have a bunch of work to get done on my car, hopefully get a good chunk done this weekend.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wont be at this event either but I have been using RS3's as well on 949 17X9 63ET wheels. Can't beat the grip for the money. I get a whole season out of them (6-10 days). Nitto's NT01 are more expensive price wise but I have no experience. Some seem to like.

Quick Reply: Track Days - 2013