NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

Official Metro Beer Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Metro Beer Thread

I cant remember if there was ever a beer thread before. I know that Justin (Gofast) and I have tossed ideas back and forth and Barry "Sam Adams" Barius is becoming well versed in the Boston brewed beer. So i figure lets open up a discussion of what we like, dont like, recommendations, good places to find rare brews etc.

I guess being the first poster...Ill start with my current search. I made the mistake, well it wasnt a mistake because it was f*cking aweosme, but I drank my only bottle of Sierra Nevada 30th Anny Brewers Reserve. I went to ebay first but there is one bottle avail and he wants 50$. Keep your eyes open. Will take any quantity
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A local bar in Asbury park called the Brickwall Tavern (awesome place) is running a promotion they call Rare and Raw. They've been aging some very rare kegs and every Monday at 8 they tap one and serve $1 oysters. So far I've had Founders Old Curmudgeon Ale, Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, Dogfish Head Hellhound On My Ale. Kegs remaining for upcoming Mondays are: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout, Oskar Blues Deviant Ale, and Troeggs Nugget Nectar.

Sam Adams is a great starting point for beginners to get into new and different beers but it's nice to see Barry really branching out into the good stuff now. I believe he was sampling some Chimay last night!

BTW beer is not off topic! This should be in the main forum! Haha j/k...or am I...
Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 AM

It certainly seems to be my main topic. I am up in the Berkshires this week and am going to be meeting up with Mike (datruckie) from the NE section. He has recommended a great beer bar called Moe's Tavern in Lee, MA. Seems they have a nice rotation of drafts and some very neat bottles. I wish I could make it down for the world wide stout tap. I have one bottle of that at home. I am also heavily contemplating buying a case (12) of Life and Limb for about 225$-250$. I had two bottles of it but now I am down to one as I was a good big brother and shared one with my little brother on Thanksgiving.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one bottle of it as well. I had it on draft once before with a great char-grilled burger, it was one of the best combinations I've ever had, and that is one of the most decadent stouts period. The thing is they don't tell you which keg they're going to tap in advance so it's a surprise every Monday.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like beer. I also like how your sub-title to this thread is No Coors Light
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

my sam adams thread turned into a beer thread. it was last yr, so i'll go find and bump it..then maybe a co can merge the 2 threads.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Barry does drink good beer, he's just not a big IPA fan. Most of them are too hoppy for me.

Yes, Justin, I bought the 3 pack of Chimay and they were all delicious. I have a beer album on my facebook if anyone is interested in the delicious types of beer that I drink.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 PM

Ive thought about trying to document all the different beers I try (mostly IPAs) but everytime I go out it could be two or three different ones. I usually facebook any bottles that I bring home
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This place is on my way to work in Boonton. I think it has one of the best selections of mass- and micro-brewed beers in north Jersey.

Liquor Outlet Wine Cellars (www.liquoroutletwinecellars.com). It is easy on, easy off from 287 - - - you can see it from the higway.

The nice thing is they have standard labeling on 75% of the beer showing ABV, 'Malt <->Hop' indicator, 'Light<->Dark' indicator and some brief tasting notes. Easy to make an informed choice.

For the summer, I picked up a few bottle of Estrella Damm Inedit. Awesome taste and made to serve ice cold.

Brooklyn Summer is another go to choice at the moment.

Sam Adams Porch Rocker is great, especially if you have been working outside and just need something to quench your thirst.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Forgot to take a pic yesterday...But I had a Bottle of Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet 1.5 Double Black IPA...As far as black IPAs that I have had...this was way up there...super hoppy and quite potent...nice with a burger and some spicy sausage

Quick Reply: Official Metro Beer Thread