Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Here's what I dont understand with people moving away from car forums and going to facebook

Old 03-18-2016, 07:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky
SQUIRREL.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devildust
The s2k talk and s2k talk & tech are very sad groups on FB...to me at least. Lots of stupid topics, bad info, trolling.
If it is a technical question someone will usually point that person back to s2ki with a link.

FB is killing the forums, new generations are not used to using forums as much as they are facebook.

If I didnt have a boring office job I know I would spend a lot less time here than I do now but I would always come here for technical and research data.
Define new generations, because I've lurked s2ki since I was 14. I'm 18 now and still do. I hate FB compared to s2ki. I sit here and read all day long about suspension and motor for the most part. The fb group seems like a cluster of people who are there to show off(I don't want to say that, just can't think of the word) vs here I feel like you're all more adult and act that way until it comes to certain topics.

Being used to fb over forums is kind if a touchy thing. I rarely use fb over a forum. Some forums take getting used to because of layout, age and if it was designed in early 2000s(AFAIK s2ki has looked like this forever correct me if I'm wrong though) and then there's some new forums like ft86 that look and feel new when it comes to navigation. Facebook is a hay stack, and a certain post you're looking for is the needle. Takes too long.

[Edit]excuse any lack of thought flow, I'm exhausted.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Whats this Facebook thing I keep hearing about?
Old 04-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm coming here to S2ki from facebook as I personally just can not deal with the constant crap that runs rampant through the groups. Not even just the S2k groups, it seems like all of them are plagued with pre-pubescent trolls. The "buy/sell" groups are pretty nice but for information purposes you're better off going through a hard copy of the encyclopedia!

I had heard about this forum for a long time from other S2k guys and I've lurked but finally decided to sign up and get at it full bore!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find myself more active/checking FB more often I do S2KI, as I find more people are inclined to list their items for free there, rather than become a (paying) member on here.

But when it comes to guidance/help, S2KI has proven to be an invaluable source for me throughout the years.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ICrazyChrisI
I find myself more active/checking FB more often I do S2KI, as I find more people are inclined to list their items for free there, rather than become a (paying) member on here.

But when it comes to guidance/help, S2KI has proven to be an invaluable source for me throughout the years.
I will probably say without question I have saved THOUSANDS due to S2KI and the community. I might not still have the car was it not for them and a few people in particular.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts

I am of the younger generation and do not have a facebook FWIW. I have been on vehicular based forums pretty much since they existed. I started off on Z400central in the early 2000s with ATVs well before I had my license. Forums have always been my source of information and have given me the confidence to tackle all mechanical projects on my personal vehicles. I learned to rebuild ATV/Dirtbike engines in my teen years and am willing to tackle just about anything on my car short of machine work. I have barely even had to post on the forums that I have taken part in due to the wealth of information available. I rarely felt that I have much of a contribution on technical aspects because most of what I know has come from what has already been posted on the forum and is readily available.

I am certainly not familiar with facebook and am pre-disposed to dismissing it as invaluable. That is why i do not have one to begin with. I agree with the OP that it could not, at least from the formats that I have seen, take the place of a well designed, well maintained forum. I have been on plenty of forums that are loaded down with worthless posts but true enthusiast forums will certainly have a place. Which leads to my next point... I believe that facebook taking some of the traffic may be a positive for a dedicated enthusiast community's forum. We may have less traffic/new members, however, I would think facebook would take away some of the negatives that come along with that traffic. We may lose the picture whoring and superficial folks who just want to show off their cars. We may also lose those who just want to post the simplest of questions and spew any garbage stream of thought they may have to the internet even though it has been answered many times and is worthless, respectively. I think what we will gain is a smaller, more knowledgable, more dedicated group of enthusiasts who contribute to the forums. I like to think of it as a positive as opposed to a negative.

In summation: Forums will lose traffic but will have a tighter community of enthusiasts
Old 04-15-2016, 04:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is interesting as I belong to two S2K FB groups and find I spend very little time on either. One group seems next to inactive at all unless someone is trying to sell something or "testing the waters" and the other seems populated by boy racers. Probably just my age, but I come to this forum for information and sharing of experiences around this great car. But you find other common interests too. FB too often is about misinformation and boasting.

Rex
Old 05-06-2016, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car forum tried to move to facebook about two years ago. We noticed it was tailing off with memberbase and that events were harder and harder to control - in actual fact it was the only way we could keep the club going as we were hacked and lost our licence. Sadly the IT group set up to get us going again on VB were useless and the club essentially ceases to exist. The core members survive but only through that fact we message each other regular.

Forums will always have their place.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm 29 and had FB years ago. Got tired of it, deleted the account and never went back. Too much drama lol. I don't see how a FB page for cars can be beneficial for information. I'm turning 30 by the end of the year, so I guess I consider myself a little older. Does the younger generation really not like car forums?

Quick Reply: Here's what I dont understand with people moving away from car forums and going to facebook