Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

What did you do to your car today?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by spets
Missed the S a little, so wanted something fun/cheap that I wouldn't get too upset about if it smashed into a wall at the track. I mean I basically picked up a whole Miata for the price of an S2000 hardtop.

Ironically I also had 949 wheels on my S2000. Thought about getting them for the Miata but wanted to stay on a budget.

I get that, the Miata is definitely a really fun and inexpensive platform. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but I'd recommend trying to stay away from sinking a bunch of money in it. I'm running 2 second faster lap times with my NA S2000 than the 300whp Miata, and it I have close to the same amount invested in the S2000 as I did in the Miata.

Last edited by sirbikealot7; 03-23-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky

Trophy kit soon to go on
Very nice, I'm not sure what BBK to go with yet... I've got some oem size race pads and rotors to burn up still but I'll need to upgrade this season. What'd you pay for the trophy kit? Seems tough to find under $2000
Old 03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Well Timing/situation worked out for me. I found one vender here that was willing to do $1850 on it if I could wait for a group buy, after about a week I decided to PM Modiction to see what he could do, and as odds would have it, he said I was a day late on a recent Stoptech Group buy he just had, but with some back and forth got me in on it for $1900 to my door! So same cost as other vender w/shipping. You might hit Modiction up and see what he can do for you. I had to "gift" paypal to him for that price though because it was too low for him to eat the fees. He is a trusted vender here so I didnt have a problem with that to save another $50 off the $1950 he originally quoted me.

Still a lot of F-ing money though! I went back and forth a bit on justifying the added cost of this over the standard street stoptech kit and decided this was money better spent since my S2k is a keeper. I want them to last a lot of years with hard abuse on track once in a wile and have things work consistently and reliably. Plus they are lighter and wanted the bonus of helping to offset the weight of my big ass tires. The brakes have been my weakest link in the car at the Ridge both times ive tracked there, so im looking forward to not dealing with an early day due to no more brake pedal.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-23-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7
I get that, the Miata is definitely a really fun and inexpensive platform. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but I'd recommend trying to stay away from sinking a bunch of money in it. I'm running 2 second faster lap times with my NA S2000 than the 300whp Miata, and it I have close to the same amount invested in the S2000 as I did in the Miata.
Yeah, I'm not delusional to think the Miata will be faster than the S2000. We'll see how well it does at the track this year and how fun it will be to drive. Hell, can always make an Exocet out of it.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Timing/situation worked out for me. I found one vender here that was willing to do $1850 on it if I could wait for a group buy, after about a week I decided to PM Modiction to see what he could do, and as odds would have it, he said I was a day late on a recent Stoptech Group buy he just had, but with some back and forth got me in on it for $1900 to my door! So same cost as other vender w/shipping. You might hit Modiction up and see what he can do for you. I had to "gift" paypal to him for that price though because it was too low for him to eat the fees. He is a trusted vender here so I didnt have a problem with that to save another $50 off the $1950 he originally quoted me.

Still a lot of F-ing money though! I went back and forth a bit on justifying the added cost of this over the standard street stoptech kit and decided this was money better spent since my S2k is a keeper. I want them to last a lot of years with hard abuse on track once in a wile and have things work consistently and reliably. Plus they are lighter and wanted the bonus of helping to offset the weight of my big ass tires. The brakes have been my weakest link in the car at the Ridge both times ive tracked there, so im looking forward to not dealing with an early day due to no more brake pedal.
You should get some brake ducting done if you haven't already.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I'm not delusional to think the Miata will be faster than the S2000. We'll see how well it does at the track this year and how fun it will be to drive. Hell, can always make an Exocet out of it.

Hell yes on the Exocet. I loved that car, and its definitely a lot of fun, I think it really shines in the NA engine, good suspension and solid safety upgrade category. I don't think you can build a better track car for less than $10,000 an E30 would be the only thing close.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:50 PM

Nice, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Urge AP or Sakebomb AP or Stoptech kits. I'm also on the verge on hopping in the group buy for the Ptuning turbo kit. Too much money to spend.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Community Organizer

You should get some brake ducting done if you haven't already.
Already been running it up front. Still not enough with stock brakes I guess. Id hate to experience how bad would have been without! Apparently the stock heat shields have to be removed to run the BBK though so no more front ducting, in which case I may recycle them to run in the rear. Its said the front ducting is no longer needed with the BBK, but id prefer to retain if i can as added measure, so will see what I can do when I dig into it. Maybe a little creativity on my part.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7
Nice, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Urge AP or Sakebomb AP or Stoptech kits. I'm also on the verge on hopping in the group buy for the Ptuning turbo kit. Too much money to spend.
The AP calipers are by far the lightest at 4.xlb compared to 6.9lb of the str40- just confirmed tonight on my scale. But they are more expensive as well. They are also pretty blah looking i think with a forged but cast unfinished look to them. I know looks are only secondary to function, but you finally spend big money on a BBK, its nice to have both, and the STR40 caliper is by far the most beautiful 4 piston caliper ive ever seen. The machining detail is suburb and it is also very stout. The AP caliper looks a bit cheap in comparison and I question its comparison of rigidity and heat management being a smaller and lighter caliper. I think Gearhead uses the AP brakes though and haven't come across any complaints of his. The sake bomb kit isn't really a BBK as it uses factory diameter front rotors. But thats their principal on saving further weight, with the idea for the heat management part being the added thickness of the rotors. The Urge AP kit i believe uses the same AP caliper as Sake Bomb but If I recall incorporates a more conventional larger 328mm rotor like stoptech. This is all about what ive gathered to this point. I haven't even installed my kit yet to get any driving feedback.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 AM

The AP calipers are by far the lightest at 4.xlb compared to 6.9lb of the str40- just confirmed tonight on my scale. But they are more expensive as well. They are also pretty blah looking i think with a forged but cast unfinished look to them. I know looks are only secondary to function, but you finally spend big money on a BBK, its nice to have both, and the STR40 caliper is by far the most beautiful 4 piston caliper ive ever seen. The machining detail is suburb and it is also very stout. The AP caliper looks a bit cheap in comparison and I question its comparison of rigidity and heat management being a smaller and lighter caliper. I think Gearhead uses the AP brakes though and haven't come across any complaints of his. The sake bomb kit isn't really a BBK as it uses factory diameter front rotors. But thats their principal on saving further weight, with the idea for the heat management part being the added thickness of the rotors. The Urge AP kit i believe uses the same AP caliper as Sake Bomb but If I recall incorporates a more conventional larger 328mm rotor like stoptech. This is all about what ive gathered to this point. I haven't even installed my kit yet to get any driving feedback.
All fair, except that Urge is the 299mm rotor, and Sakebomb is the 325mm. Both 32mm thick, whereas the Stoptech kit is 325x28mm. Gearhead uses the Urge kit I believe. If the ST40 Trophy kit was $1500 or so if would be an obvious choice, but at roughly $2000, I'm not sure the extra $400 isn't worth it for the AP. Stoptech is a non floating rotor correct?

Last edited by sirbikealot7; 03-24-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your car today?