S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Rear Fender Arch Rust Severity?

Old 07-16-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Fender Arch Rust Severity?

Hi all. I'm looking into buying a 2002 S2000 and the seller noted that there is rust on the rear fender wheel arches. I've attached some pictures. I just wanted to know how severe this rust looks and how much work/money you guys think it would be to have it repaired. Is it bad enough to halt the sale all together or is it a repairable fix that can be worked into the asking price of the car. Thanks!

Name:  U51U3Qp.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  980.4 KB

Name:  o4dhxeQ.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  924.6 KB

Name:  PbHmjSl.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  684.5 KB

Name:  oZfqwQm.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  793.9 KB
Old 07-16-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

It can be fixed but why not find a car that's not rusted in the first place?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 AM

I'm looking at this as a fun weekend/autocross/track car so if I can get it for a really good price, it doesn't have to be perfect condition. The car is said to be mechanically sound with red interior and around 95k miles. What would be a good price considering the rust?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:50 AM

what year?

any modifications?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:52 AM

2002, bone stock. 95k miles. Silver with red interior, aftermarket radio.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The one side is bad enough that it needs metal replaced. The other side might be able to just be ground down and repainted. If it's just a track car you could get someone to do a quick job that won't looked the best but will get rid of the rust. If you are looking to look like there was never damage it will cost more than a grand.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Late ap1's with around 100k miles sells for about 10-12k these days.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
Late ap1's with around 100k miles sells for about 10-12k these days.
That was what was seeing on KBB also. I just wasn't sure how accurate those types of sites were. I came from the NA Miata world where those "car value" sites were not representative of what they were going for on the open market.

I'm assuming with what I told you about the condition of this car, it would probably be towards the 10k range? Is the all red interior really worth anything more than the standard black?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:04 PM

The only condition of the car I know is the rust in two spots so I won't say how much is a good price for that car. Is the car for sale from the first owner? Are maintenance records present? Any mechanical problem? Any accidents? Are all the VIN stickers on the body panels match each other? Overall is the car in good condition or beat up? Some cars with similar age/mileage are extremely well taken care of and could pass for a sub 40k mile car while others look older then they really are. Where is the car for sale? Generally speaking, most s2000's I see on facebook and craigslist are beat up and cars here on s2ki are in better shape.

All red interior in general is more sought after since fewer of them were made but its not that much of a difference when combined with sebring silver exterior. Those are the most common ones with the all red interior.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
The only condition of the car I know is the rust in two spots so I won't say how much is a good price for that car. Is the car for sale from the first owner? Are maintenance records present? Any mechanical problem? Any accidents? Are all the VIN stickers on the body panels match each other? Overall is the car in good condition or beat up? Some cars with similar age/mileage are extremely well taken care of and could pass for a sub 40k mile car while others look older then they really are. Where is the car for sale? Generally speaking, most s2000's I see on facebook and craigslist are beat up and cars here on s2ki are in better shape.

All red interior in general is more sought after since fewer of them were made but its not that much of a difference when combined with sebring silver exterior. Those are the most common ones with the all red interior.
The car spent all of its life in this southeastern PA/NJ area (car is currently in central NJ). It is on its 3rd owner according to the Carfax. First owner owned it as a lease vehicle. No maintenance record other than what is on the Carfax, which are a few oil changes and generic "serviced vehicle". Clean title. Mechanically sound, bone stock with no leaks or oil burning. Overall exterior condition is OK, inline for a ~15 year old car, there is the rust of course. Interior is very well taken care of with no issues to note. Seller is claiming that he needs the money to pay for student loans and that he may possibly need to move for his job. I'm guessing he's fairly young. He has only owned the car for a few months now, prior to him, the previous owner had it for 10 years and the original lease owner had it for ~3.5 years.

Quick Reply: Rear Fender Arch Rust Severity?