S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb
View Poll Results: What rear preload setting did you use?
Ohlins spec (2mm)
57.69%
More preload (specify)
42.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Ohlins DFV rear preload settings

Old 10-26-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So I used 6mm of rear spring preload. That resulted in a 1.44" spring compression at ride height. That is a clear spring travel of about .66" or about 17mm.

i really didn't change much from the oem spec so the result is to be expected. I hope to do some test drives this weekend.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
So I used 6mm of rear spring preload. That resulted in a 1.44" spring compression at ride height. That is a clear spring travel of about .66" or about 17mm.

i really didn't change much from the oem spec so the result is to be expected. I hope to do some test drives this weekend.

Well...with 6mm preload, your initial spring length is 6mm shorter already.

Your shock is fully extended with a 7.64" (194mm) spring.

Are you calculating your final spring length at static by subtracting 1.44 from 7.64 to give you 6.2"?

Or are you just subtracting 1.44 from the original 7.87" (200mm) length? This is an incorrect measurement .

Convert to inches if that's what you're used to. 6mm is .24"

Full spring length is 200mm or 7.87"

7.87 - .24 = 7.64. That's your "zero". Start everything there.

Put the car on the ground. Measure the static spring length. Lets call that "static".

Subtract your static ride spring length from "zero":
[7.64 - Static = X]

Then take total free travel before bumpstop (which we know is 2.125) and subtract out X.

So 2.125 - X = Free travel at ride height.

Last edited by B serious; 10-27-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Used 7 5/8 - 6 3/16 = 1 7/16 or 1.44

then used the 2.1 clear travel - 1.44 = .66

I am using a standard tape measure so nothing more precise than 1/16".
Old 11-04-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had my ohlins on now for about 6 months both street and track. Setup with the stock specs, i havent felt any problems. I have been running the rebound settings very soft on the street as well. I started them 10 clicks from the softesf setting (apparently i did this incorrectly as youre supposed to count the stiffest as one and count up to the softest?). They feel great on the street at this setting.

Anyway ive been trying to follow these preload discussions and had an idea/question. If you were to set the shocks to the lowest ride height setting, and then dial in preload to raise the car to the desired ride height, shouldnt this get you the most shock travel at a given ride height?

Now i know others are having issues getting the car as low as they want, but I set the shock length to ohlins reccomendations and am more than happy with the drop and still have adj. to go lower. Any issues i might be overlooking in my method above? Not as exact as "measuring twice, adj once" that has been previously discussed, but still might have the desired results?
Old 11-04-2016, 01:01 PM

^yes, you should lower the bottom bracket as far as possible and then set preload up ward in order to get more free travel.

the issue is that you run out of bottom bracket threads pretty quickly.

And too much preload/too short of a shock results in wheel lift at the track on turns . wheel lift opens up the LSD.

A possible solution would be stiffer springs with a gap...or with helper springs. And/or roll center adjusters.

On midwest roads, more shock travel would be nice. Mine ride quite well, I guess . Could be better with more travel. I can feel bumpstops all the time.

Last edited by B serious; 11-04-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:39 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
^yes, you should lower the bottom bracket as far as possible and then set preload up ward in order to get more free travel.

the issue is that you run out of bottom bracket threads pretty quickly.

And too much preload/too short of a shock results in wheel lift at the track on turns . wheel lift opens up the LSD.

A possible solution would be stiffer springs with a gap...or with helper springs. And/or roll center adjusters.

On midwest roads, more shock travel would be nice. Mine ride quite well, I guess . Could be better with more travel. I can feel bumpstops all the time.

running into this currently...swift 11k rear springs, with the collar bottomed out in the rear, still not 100% as far as ride height. Its CLOSE, but not 100%. I might try RCA's in the rear now, but i dont want to stiffen up the rear end, so im in the midst of decisions and what i want to do. I am currently running ohlins recommended specs (2mm rear preload), and dont like the idea of changing it to introduce spring play regardless if its just happening when youve jacked the car up in the air. Would be curious to hear your opinions on rear RCA's and the benefits/disadvantages of running them.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt. Spock
running into this currently...swift 11k rear springs, with the collar bottomed out in the rear, still not 100% as far as ride height. Its CLOSE, but not 100%. I might try RCA's in the rear now, but i dont want to stiffen up the rear end, so im in the midst of decisions and what i want to do. I am currently running ohlins recommended specs (2mm rear preload), and dont like the idea of changing it to introduce spring play regardless if its just happening when youve jacked the car up in the air. Would be curious to hear your opinions on rear RCA's and the benefits/disadvantages of running them.
I have not received mine yet, but am real curious what is driving people to the stiffer springs? IMO once you do that all bets are off with regards to what Ohlins reccomends, they designed the shock and setup recommendations around the 10k/8k setup....
Old 11-08-2016, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I have not received mine yet, but am real curious what is driving people to the stiffer springs? IMO once you do that all bets are off with regards to what Ohlins reccomends, they designed the shock and setup recommendations around the 10k/8k setup....
To reduce body roll and improve overall suspension performance, personally. Ohlins shocks can take up to 30% stiffer springs, provided you run the shocks in the higher range of damping adjustment. I previously ran 10/10 and thought it was still a little too soft for my liking. I have since swapped out to 13/11, which seems to be a significant improvement for me personally with the testing that i have done... As i keep mentioning, this is all personal preference and what you're looking for. If the factory springs are sufficient for you, stick with them.

Last edited by Cpt. Spock; 11-08-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:23 AM

I haven't run RCA's, but I assume you can play with sway bars to reduce the roll stiffness that you gained.

Since you're running 13K front springs, though, rear RCA's may not "un-balance" the car, so to speak.

What about a helper spring? Run the 11k's down further and use a helper spring to fill the gap. Hopefully, your 11K springs are much shorter than the 8K?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
I haven't run RCA's, but I assume you can play with sway bars to reduce the roll stiffness that you gained.

Since you're running 13K front springs, though, rear RCA's may not "un-balance" the car, so to speak.

What about a helper spring? Run the 11k's down further and use a helper spring to fill the gap. Hopefully, your 11K springs are much shorter than the 8K?
I have an eibach front bar w/ 06 rear bar (softest production rear s2000 bar). I guess i could swap the RCA's in and test, you may be right. I purchased the swifts in the same size/diameter as the factory ohlins springs, so that wouldnt be an option as far as the helper springs. Im just curious how much the RCA's would affect the roll stiffness in the rear. I did the RCA's in the front the same time i swapped the 13k springs on, so i cant comment on before and after specific to the front RCA's.

Last edited by Cpt. Spock; 11-08-2016 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV rear preload settings