S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Wilwood 6 piston kit

Old 02-04-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Wilwood 6 piston kit

Can anyone comment on this kit? I know Sakebomb put together a 4 piston kit, am I correct that these are slightly better calipers? I have been tossing around the idea of a BBK for a bit, but there are tons of options from TL-S calipers to $3k kits and it is a bit overwhelming when considering the potential fitment issues or brake bias problems. Not to mention wide variation of cost in consumables, which is part of the idea to save as much on that end as possible.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222317177250?_mwBanner=1
Old 02-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed sakebombs kit. I'll be writing a review shortly.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by tut4u2
I just installed sakebombs kit. I'll be writing a review shortly.
great! How was the quality of everything?
Old 02-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Just went through this and got a hell of a good price on a stoptech trophy kit from Modiction here on the forum. Stoptech has a standard slightly heavier weight non floating BBK for about $450 less then the trophy. One nice thing about stoptech is there is a lot of options for brake pads on their calipers and rebuild parts. Willwood would be a lighter street/duty option. AP racing was the other one I was looking at for track duty, but after weighing its features/options compared to the trophy kit, the extra price didn't make as much sense to me personally.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Just went through this and got a hell of a good price on a stoptech trophy kit from Modiction here on the forum. Stoptech has a standard slightly heavier weight non floating BBK for about $450 less then the trophy. One nice thing about stoptech is there is a lot of options for brake pads on their calipers and rebuild parts. Willwood would be a lighter street/duty option. AP racing was the other one I was looking at for track duty, but after weighing its features/options compared to the trophy kit, the extra price didn't make as much sense to me personally.

so in your opinion what makes the Stoptech better than these Wilwoods? This is where I am struggling, these wilwoods are 6 piston, the rotors are quality 2 piece, so what makes them more of a light track steer duty?
Old 02-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
so in your opinion what makes the Stoptech better than these Wilwoods? This is where I am struggling, these wilwoods are 6 piston, the rotors are quality 2 piece, so what makes them more of a light track steer duty?
For me is was the more known. The Stoptechs are proven on the S2000, and its a big investment. I want to make sure all the bases are covered. Rebuildable, plentiful amount of pad options, full floating 2 piece rotor option, 4 piston caliper scaled to the front oversized rotor and stock rear s2000 brakes to maintain factory bias. Ive heard nothing but positive things about stoptech, but some less favorable things with willwood as being more of fluffy go to option for a lot of parking lot/show car domestics etc and more limited pad options. I wanted a sure deal that would take a lot of abuse and last long term on my car since its a keeper for me. When i weighed all this out along with the cost, its what led me to the trophy kit, right or wrong.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
For me is was the more known. The Stoptechs are proven on the S2000, and its a big investment. I want to make sure all the bases are covered. Rebuildable, plentiful amount of pad options, full floating 2 piece rotor option, 4 piston caliper scaled to the front oversized rotor and stock rear s2000 brakes to maintain factory bias. Ive heard nothing but positive things about stoptech, but some less favorable things with willwood as being more of fluffy go to option for a lot of parking lot/show car domestics etc and more limited pad options. I wanted a sure deal that would take a lot of abuse and last long term on my car since its a keeper for me. When i weighed all this out along with the cost, its what led me to the trophy kit, right or wrong.
The big question is: are the calipers for show or go? The Wilwood on eBay is a kit for show...it isn't one of their racing calipers. If the intent is the least expensive fixed piston caliper, it may be a choice.

However...for track use either a racing orient Wilwood, a Stoptech, or an AP would be choices. Or just stick with the stock caliper. Many just add floating rotors in the front, racing brake pads, cooling ducts, and maybe the Urge (stock diameter, stock caliper and pads) or Sakebomb (larger OD, changes to RX8 caliper) rear brake kit. Both rear brake kits replace the stock solid rotor with a vented rotor with more heat capacity. For just driving, it is easier to feel a pad change than a caliper or rotor change. If running hard on a road course, ducts and vented, floating rotors with more heat capacity will be more important than the calipers. There are is at least one analysis on the forum that shows for a driver who regularly tracks a car, reduced frequency of consumables such as pads and brake discs will make one of the racing oriented big brake kits cost effective.

The kit on eBay is at more or less a normal retail price. The calipers would have been current racing calipers in the 1980s. This picture shows that caliper with Wilwoods newer racing calipers. The difference in caliper stiffness is pretty obvious.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I threw my review of the SBG kit in the R&C Section

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...eview-1168862/
Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

To complicate your lives further we have the SakeBomb Garage Designed 325x32 Wilwood Track-Day Kit, SBG Designed 325x32 AP Competition kit, and our RX8 314x20 directional curved vane vented rear conversion kit which retains full parking brake functionality. We've sold out 4-5 times already since release... these have been well received since release and are what we consider to be the best bang for buck HPDE kit, and best bang for buck competition track kits out there. The pad costs are VERY cheap and both calipers run the same pads (20mm thick), as well as having reverse compatible AP fully floating or standard solid mount rotors, for future upgrades.

Wilwood Track-Day Brake System (S2000) - SakeBomb Garage LLC

AP Competition Brake System (S2000) - SakeBomb Garage LLC

SBG Competition Rear Brake System (S2000, Rear RX8 Caliper Retrofit kit) - SakeBomb Garage LLC
Old 02-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Sakebomb and Urge need to make clear that their kit is NOT the same as the AP kit from other sources. There kits both use floating AP racing and I believe different calipers, although I'm not sure which ones and which size pads they take.

Quick Reply: Wilwood 6 piston kit