S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Joe's CR "Driver's Build"

Old 09-04-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Joe's CR "Driver's Build"

Hello All,

I've finally got my car "back in action". I've owned it over two years, and have only put about 60 miles on it. It's spent its life at my buddy's shop, being worked on, or parked for ages at a time. I now have a space for it, and I'm considering the build "nearly complete". Figured I share.

Car is a 2008 S2000 CR (RYP). I've been an avid S2000 fanatic, and have owned five in my lifetime. I still consider the S2000 to be my favorite car. I have more fun in it than I do in any other vehicle.

The car is currently making 275HP on a Dynapack measured at the hubs.

I'll be posting some final updates, still honing in the tune, and the cams (I've had some drama w/ cams).

At the moment, the car is running the following:
  • Mugen intake mated to a custom fabricated intake pipe that retains 80mm diameter, fitting perfectly w/ large 80 to 70mm ZDX throttle body.
  • Intake manifold has been port matched to the larger throttle body. Inside has been honed, runners have been enlarged, and port matched to the head.
  • Head was port and polished by Portflow.
  • Supertech valve train w/ upgraded retainers and springs. Supertech flat flat bottom valves for slightly increased compression.
  • Toda Cam Gears
  • Currently running Hytech cams that are long duration. They make 10 less horsepower than the Toda Spec C cams I have, but I'm having trouble running the Toda cams. I don't like the Hytech cams as with the extended duration, vs the higher lift design of the Toda's, they make the car run "rumbly". Not smooth like a Honda engine.
  • Inline pro upgraded timing chain tensioner
  • ASM Exhaust Manifold 07 (manufactured by Toda)
  • ASM I.S. Design Siren Circuit Exhaust
  • Toda baffled oil pan
  • Spoon clutch (pressure plate and disk)
  • AP1 Flywheel, and AP1 clutch slave cylinder

Suspension/Chassis:
  • Toda Fightex Type Ex Coilovers
  • Drexler Germany LSD w/ EVS increased capacity differential cover
  • Spoon rear bump steer kit/lower control arms (independent adjustment of toe/camber, reduced bump steer, and unpredicted oversteer)
  • Spoon engine, transmission, and differential mounts. Still rubber, but stiffer than stock.
  • Any and all suspension bushings replaced with Spoon's harder rubber bushings
  • Spoon X-Brace connecting front sub-frame to chassis, and Spoon rear tie bar.
  • Yokohama Advan AD08R tires

Exterior:
  • ASM FRP Ventilated Hood w/ Mugen Intake clearance. Manufactured by Challenge, Japan.

End result is what can only be described as driving a race car on the street. The sound is insane, and response unbelievable. Pulls hard all the way to 8,600RPM redline. Chassis is rock solid, transitions beautifully, tons of grip.

I'll be posting some random pics over the next couple of days. I'll be doing some final street tuning on Tuesday, and working out which cams I'm finally going to run.

Still need to install a Spoon lower temperature thermostat, and ASM oil catch can. Have an ASM GT chassis brace on order that connects the front struts, and steering rack.

The last part of this build is brakes, which let me down big time on a canyon run this weekend.

Corner balancing spec sheet. Weight w/ hard top, and half a tank of gas.
Joe's CR "Driver's Build"-9kmbwss.jpg

Fightex coil overs. This is the only part I bought second hand. GoTuning ran them on their shop car for 300 miles, and they went with ASM/Sachs to complete their ASM build.
Joe's CR "Driver's Build"-jpugmej.jpg
Old 09-04-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Anxious to see your pictures Joe.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:01 PM

CR w/ the rest of the team:

Joe's CR "Driver's Build"-4b5cqou.jpg
Joe's CR "Driver's Build"-i7z9nua.jpg
Joe's CR "Driver's Build"-mr3iyh4.jpg

More pics coming tomorrow of engine bay, and the car outdoors.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Love the photos!
Old 09-06-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Your car looks great! RYP is such a nice color
Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this car. Shawn and I discussed at great lengths about your car. Glad to see you have it prepped to go.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by takchi
I know this car. Shawn and I discussed at great lengths about your car. Glad to see you have it prepped to go.
I'm actually with Ryan and Daniel right now. We were going to do some street tuning, but didn't get to it.

Did Shawn tune your car? I've been going to Church forever.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Looks good, in for more pics.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:04 AM

Some raw footage/audio from a short morning drive. ASM exhaust sounds great, even without the cat.

https://youtu.be/Qob6Bhbskp4

Quick Reply: Joe's CR "Driver's Build"