S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Accessory Power Relay

Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you much, i really appreciate the help. Its been bugging me since.
The following users liked this post:
speedcat (01-19-2017)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I could be of assistance
Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Figured I'd bring this back up from the dead because I wish I found it earlier. I had searched all over s2ki but never found this thread until after solving my problem....

Anyway, I just finished fixing an AP2 w/ this problem....It had the exact same symptoms and problem was traced back to the same relay.

Symptoms:
Radio will turn off when anything is plugged into the 12v socket
12V socket had voltage but won't output enough current to run anything useful
Adjusting the mirrors will also make the radio turn off

I made a bunch of measurements to help narrow down the problem:
Checked all the related fuses and all of them were ok
Measured ground at the radio harness
Measured 12V battery at the radio harness
Measured 12V ignition at the radio harness and something interesting happened. When a load was placed on the 12V socket, ignition would drop down to 6.8V and the radio would turn off.

W/ my findings, I looked up the relationship between the radio and the 12v socket. In the service manual I noticed that the accessory relay was in series w/ the 12v ignition wire going to the radio and also supplied power to the 12V outlet. I yanked the relay out of the car and made a bunch of measurements. The NC contact showed around 300ohms resistance so I took apart the relay and cleaned the contacts. After cleaning them, the resistance dropped back down to 0.5ohms. When I put the relay back in the car, everything worked!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad I found this thread.
Where can I buy this relay,cost etc.
It is difficult for me to determine the location of the relay from the above photo. Please explain where it is.
Thanks so much!
Russ
Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't locate the steering shaft in your car?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 AM

Great thread. My car has been suffering with power port problems for years, wish I had searched for a thread sooner.

For those of you who are struggling to get a replacement relay I used a Tyco (TE CONNECTIVITY) alternative, part number V23074A1001A403.

Purchased from Farnell online.

Some of the relays I found from automotive websites seem to have a massive mark-up. The Mitsuba original relay is nothing special so no way was I going to pay 10 times more than the Tyco relay from Farnell.

*Note to people who have a right hand drive car.
The relay you want to change is the one closest to the drivers seat not the firewall as shown in the picture posted by NoRegrets78.
I guess Honda has just flipped the relay bracket around when transfer from right hand drive (Japan, UK) to left hand drive.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 AM

I have to give you guys a big hearty thank you. I have had an off an on electrical gremlin for the last year and half or so and it seems to be these two relays. I have copied a post I made to another board indicating the parts I used etc. to help anybody else out and to detail another issue that seems to have been solved by this.

Thanks again guys.

Posted to the Miataforum below.

For The S2000 Owners - I found and killed my electrical gremlin
I had posted a while back about some electrical gremilins I had. That post is here.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=416168

I know there are a few S2K owners here so I figured I would post my solution not to mention what was happening could technically happen to any car.

The long and short of it is that there are two accessory power relays that are located under the dash, behind a vent, next to the steering column, behind a wiring harness, through the wardrobe to Narnia, just East of hell. I would have never found these just looking. Even when I found them it took me a few minutes to figure out how they were oriented and how to pull them out. Of course I was upside down at the time.

At any rate one or both of the relays were bad. They would cause my ABS/HVAC issue as listed in the thread above as well as cause my stereo to reboot when I set the power mirrors or tried to use the charging port. (I don't generally do either of those things so I didn't realize the problem existed until I came across it in my internet searches and was able to duplicate it).

So if you ever have similar issues could be these relays. I am going to link to the thread that has a picture of where the relays are as I think this could be helpful and save folks a lot of headache if the issue crops up.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/7632...y-power-relay/

Also I sourced parts from both Autozone and O'Reily. They are 5 pin relays with the following part numbers.
Autozone-Duralast Relay part 19283
O'Reily relay part 2-DR1066 with another number R3146

Both parts were behind the counter not with the other fuses etc. Parts were $13.99 each.

I hope this saves somebody some headaches in the future.

GIZMO is DEAD

Chris
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread , but I have the same problem . I changed the power relay already and still the radio doesn't work and the Power accessory thing also. Pls help thx
Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrenic
Sorry to bring up an old thread
No need to apologize for searching. More people need to do this on all discussion forum sites.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Fixed the problem . I just replaced the fuse and it works now. Thank you guys

Quick Reply: Accessory Power Relay