S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Audio/CB Newb: Stereo/CB bypass, Tell me what to buy

Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Special tool recommended ;-)

Old 04-05-2015, 04:14 PM

Replaced all wires, routed and mounted everything. Got a spare radio, will keep it on the charger and use the one up front on battery. My attempt at getting a better mic has failed, I will be rocking old China special. I'm now using Android as my GPS on the modifry mount, will finish it tomorrow and photo it.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:53 PM

Mounted FRS radio and added support to the modify mount. No more wiggle!

Old 04-06-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great Aaron!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronCompNetSys
Mounted FRS radio and added support to the modify mount. No more wiggle!
ive been meaning to make some kind of support like that, what did u use there?

you didnt fix it to your dash in anyway with glue/screws or anything right?
Old 04-06-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by hand banana
ive been meaning to make some kind of support like that, what did u use there?

you didnt fix it to your dash in anyway with glue/screws or anything right?
A machine screw, two nuts and washers, and a rubber stopper with hole drilled offset. Maybe a dollar at Ace Hardware.

Its plenty rigid x and y direction, just z needed support.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed an almost identical fix on my car many years ago and then started offering them to any customer who complained about vibration. But shortly afterwards I received complaints about "permanent" indentations in the dash from the rubber foot. I checked my car and sure enough, there was a dent in the dash. It was small, but it was there and it did not go away after removing the support. So I immediately stopped shipping that style support but never got around to coming up with something different. As it turns out, my "dash dent" disappeared after a couple months, but I still think most owners would not be happy with an indentation in the dash that takes a long time to go away after the bracket is removed.

A better fix is to use a piece of foam rubber as a vibration damper, cut into a wedge to fit behind the bracket. It won't put a dent in the dash but seems to work well to stop vibrations. The problem with customers implementing this fix is finding foam rubber 2" thick at an affordable price. Most places that sell 2" thick foam are making furniture cushions and you have to buy a large piece that costs more than the bracket.

This post is an interesting coincidence because 2 weeks ago I purchased several samples of foam rubber to try and come up with an inexpensive vibration damper. I took some photos and actually created a new product page but jury duty got in the way and I am not quite ready to offer it for sale. Because users may install the dash bracket at slightly different angles the foam spacer has to be cut by the end user to fit the angle of his bracket. The hardest part of cutting the foam is the curve of the dash so I am trying it see if I can pre-cut that side of the foam so it's a closer fit to the dash.

Normally I wouldn't make a new product page public till it's ready to go but in this case I have made it visible here. Bear in mind the visible parts of the foam will be painted flat black in the final product.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Thanks Bob, I'm actually not to bothered by the dent. I may add an additional rubber foot to even out the pressure once I return from the Dragon, or let my wife have a crack at making a silicone molded foot. My existing foot is under very little pressure as it is, either adding another one or switching to silicone should work in my situation.

I'd consider yours to if hers isn't to pretty.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Please start selling this foam piece for your dash bracket modifry! I really need it.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

What have you used the CB for? Car-to-car, or are you chatting up the truckers for speed traps?

Quick Reply: Audio/CB Newb: Stereo/CB bypass, Tell me what to buy