S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Vortech sc stock 7 psi. Belt keeps coming off.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways,Sep 15 2010, 07:41 AM
You do release the lock nut on the arbor holding the pulley, adjust the screw and tighten the locknut. The adjusting screw does not hold tension. Correct?

I have seen some mounting plate wear from the interaction of the stainless and aluminum under vibrations. If the arbor lock nut is not tightened up adequately there will be excessive wear into the mounting plate and eventually the inability of the arbor to hold a set.
The adjusting screw was very tight when tightening it. Tightened it until it would not turn more and belt seemed tight and then tightened the nut on back of pulley.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Sep 15 2010, 08:38 AM
The adjusting screw was very tight when tightening it. Tightened it until it would not turn more and belt seemed tight and then tightened the nut on back of pulley.
Did you get the kit new? I've seen several where the adjusting screw was tweeked by someone not releasing the arbor. It makes the adjustment very tight up until it breaks and you have to replace the screw and possibly the arbor. It should easily adjust when the arbor is released.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

I didn't buy the kit new but bought a new arbor and adjusting screw and basically all new hardware. I just took a look and the washer part of the head of the adjuster screw broke off somehow it looks like. I will upload pictures in a second. So I guess losing tension that way.
Should the adjuster screw get really tight and hard to turn once the belt is to the point of being tight?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 AM

You should be able to adjust the screw with a short ratchet to the point where the belt sounds like a piano string when you snap the edge of it and that is too tight.
Sounds like you broke the adjusting screw. Mine the washer part is machined into it.
When you replace the adjusting screw take a tap and clean up the arbor so it adjusts freely.
Also look at the small allen bolts that hold the U bracket the adjusting screw goes against. The bolts I received from Vortech were very short and required replacements that were 1/4 inch longer. Use Loctite on the two allen bolts.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Alright well I think most of the issue was me being a dumbass lol. I loosened the tensioner pulley and I noticed I adjusted the tensioner screw the wrong way. I tightened it instead of loosening it which I guess tightens the belt right?
So I just adjusted it the other way and the screw turned very freely. That must be why the washer part broke off.
The belt is nice and tight now and I think the adjuster screw is still good to go even with that part broken off.
The first time the belt shredded I know I adjusted it correctly but the last time it flew off I know I didn't so must have been why it came off then. I had the adjuster screw all the way loosened somehow. The belt was fairly tight then but not like how it is now.

I am wondering though. Do you think that could cause the car to vibrate? I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but will be able to later on today.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM

Vibrate.... .....yes.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok cool. Hopefully that resolved the issue and the belt wont come off again. Did shred the first time so it either rode up on the lip and ripped or the belt was already bad for some reason. Maybe got a little bit loose and didn't notice. Came off at redline in 3rd or 4th can't remember but a lot of strain on the belt then.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Well something is definitely ****ed up with it!

Took it for a spin now and belt is part way off the crank pulley now and the edges is getting all messed up already. Still felt the vibrations as well. Very tight still though. So it is not a matter of being loose!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Pull it and check everything out. The arbor may have worn into the bracket or something.

Quick Reply: Vortech sc stock 7 psi. Belt keeps coming off.