S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Our Leather Interiors

Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Our Leather Interiors

I'm looking for a good leather conditioner and I'm almost certain that the leather seats and steering wheel are protected with a "coating" in the S.

I was told this is why certain leather treatments do not absorb into our leather.

My question - does this coating eventually wear away with use? I'm interested in Leather Honey but it seems to be used for saddles and leather boots, etc which are not treated with a "coating"..

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if the leather in our S2000's are genuine leather but more of a vinyl leatherette (?). That leads me to believe that leather conditioner wouldnt be that effective. I think a good mix of all purpose cleaner should do the trick.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Soof
I'm looking for a good leather conditioner and I'm almost certain that the leather seats and steering wheel are protected with a "coating" in the S. I was told this is why certain leather treatments do not absorb into our leather. My question - does this coating eventually wear away with use? I'm interested in Leather Honey but it seems to be used for saddles and leather boots, etc which are not treated with a "coating".. Any help is appreciated.
Griots Garage Leather Conditioner is excellent; this car does have real leather, and it does work. My leather still looks brand new after 90k miles...
Old 01-06-2016, 05:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything that is perforated is real leather. The smooth leather might be a blend but leather conditioner definitely works and should be used.
INFO:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/113...erior-leather/
Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by S2000Stud' timestamp='1440619416' post='23727357
I have a 2002 Sebring Silver with all black interior. Does anyone know which interior parts are leather and which are vinyl? Is there a diagram somewhere showing what is what?

I had a very good source in the custom automobile interior industry tell me that everything that is perforated within the S2000 interior is real leather. That covers the door card inserts, elbowrest, steering wheel, and seats.

Now while various parts are leather based it is important to know that the parts are heavily coated with a top-layer that is mostly a coloured vinyl application on top of the leather. It isn't the type of leather that is a natural hide with open pores that readily absorbs conditioners like you might find in very high end autos. This leather is heavily coated - called pigmented leather. I think the Ap1 leather parts are coated even more than the ap2 leather.

Personally I find the oem leather parts are pretty crappy, I've had many of them replaced with higher grade replacements that look and feel much nicer.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can always use the finger test for fake vs real leather. Push in on it and if it makes a perfectly round indent, it's faux. Real leather will make a star-like indent.

Either way, leather conditioner helps our seats quite a bit. A thorough steam cleaning (doesn't have to be a $100+ machine) prior to applying it will work wonders on opening the pores. Don't use a white towel, otherwise you'll be rather embarrassed if it's never been deep cleaned before.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After much trial and error I have settled on Zaino leather care for the seats and other leather areas (mostly the seat faces and the door cards) in my 2007. It appears to keep things really supple and has a very nice "leather" smell to it. I also use it on my NSX seats which are notoriously difficult to keep looking pristine. I have also used the Griott product and find it very good as well but it doesn't leave me with the "new leather" smell. Both companies have wonderful other products for our cars and they can be oredered on-line.

Originally Posted by Soof
I'm looking for a good leather conditioner and I'm almost certain that the leather seats and steering wheel are protected with a "coating" in the S.

I was told this is why certain leather treatments do not absorb into our leather.

My question - does this coating eventually wear away with use? I'm interested in Leather Honey but it seems to be used for saddles and leather boots, etc which are not treated with a "coating"..

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Your Bentley has a nice grain leather and that is it. Your lower tier cars do have "leather" but it is highly processed for the auto market. Plus there is a lot of vinyl mixed side by side in the upholstery; look for the term "leather trimmed". The parts that do have leather are bonded to a plastic coating. For the most part, it is very durable and pretty much care free. Conditioners cannot be absorbed through the plastic, unless there are hole perforations that would allow conditioner to seep through the holes.

Use a water test to see what kind of leather/vinyl it is. If it leaves a spot, it is naked leather. Many European cars are like this. Use leather conditioners.

If it is American/Asian, it is probably coated. Don't use a leather conditioner (unless you have holes like our S) but do use something vinyl conditioning and UV protection.

Previous thread on this subject from August :

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/113...erior-leather/
Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts

I've always used Lexol on my S. Do it 3 or 4 times a year use the cleaner then the protectorant and it is holding up well after 13 years. I also like the smell I've tried other brands on other cars I have owned and while they seemed to work they left too much of a perfumy smell.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Your Bentley has a nice grain leather and that is it. Your lower tier cars do have "leather" but it is highly processed for the auto market. Plus there is a lot of vinyl mixed side by side in the upholstery; look for the term "leather trimmed". The parts that do have leather are bonded to a plastic coating. For the most part, it is very durable and pretty much care free. Conditioners cannot be absorbed through the plastic, unless there are hole perforations that would allow conditioner to seep through the holes.

Use a water test to see what kind of leather/vinyl it is. If it leaves a spot, it is naked leather. Many European cars are like this. Use leather conditioners.

If it is American/Asian, it is probably coated. Don't use a leather conditioner (unless you have holes like our S) but do use something vinyl conditioning and UV protection.

Previous thread on this subject from August :

https://www.s2ki.com/...terior-leather/
Agreed!...more like naugahyde..= treated leather, not absorbent like raw, porsche, bentley, etc
Old 08-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a vote for the Learherique system. I use it on my NSX, Acura TL, and all of our other cars. In a whim, we used it on our couch at home, and it completely transformed it.

Just purchased my S2000 last weekend and it will be the next thing I do after I get the exterior detailed.

Quick Reply: Our Leather Interiors