S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Top Replacement Soft or Hard

Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Replacement Soft or Hard

MY04 has the four usual corner rips. I've been getting by for years with patching but it's not a very clean look & they seem to loosen every time the top goes down. I've decided I have to replace it. I'm trying to decide between a Robbins soft top for about ~%500 & doing the install myself. Or a Forbidden Hard Top for about ~$1000 & having it painted. I think the soft top would be more versatile for resale, although there seems to be a demand for s2000's with a nice hard top.

I'm wondering about your opinions & experiences. How hard is the soft top install? What does it cost from a shop?(I feel much more comfortable doing all work myself). How is the fitment of the Forbidden Hard Top?

Thanks,

Proj
Old 11-18-2016, 06:48 AM

Pretty sure I'm in the minority in not being a hardtop fan. I don't care for the looks or inability to drop the top in a few seconds.

Also, I see so much discussion on hardtop issues (mostly fitment) that it doenst seem worth it (maybe if you like the looks).

The caveat is that I live in a mild climate, so top down season is pretty long for me.

I finally replaced my original top last summer with a Robbins canvas and it looks GREAT!!!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Pretty sure I'm in the minority in not being a hardtop fan. I don't care for the looks or inability to drop the top in a few seconds.

Also, I see so much discussion on hardtop issues (mostly fitment) that it doenst seem worth it (maybe if you like the looks).

The caveat is that I live in a mild climate, so top down season is pretty long for me.

I finally replaced my original top last summer with a Robbins canvas and it looks GREAT!!!

Yeah I have heard about issues with fitment & the hard top.

Did you install the Robbins top yourself? If so, how difficult was it? How long? If not, how much does an install cost?
Old 11-18-2016, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by project2k4
Yeah I have heard about issues with fitment & the hard top.

Did you install the Robbins top yourself? If so, how difficult was it? How long? If not, how much does an install cost?

No, I took it to an EXPERT installer (possibly done more s2000 tops than anybody). Labor pretty much doubled the cost of the top, but after recently seeing a badly installed top, it was worthwhile.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
No, I took it to an EXPERT installer (possibly done more s2000 tops than anybody). Labor pretty much doubled the cost of the top, but after recently seeing a badly installed top, it was worthwhile.
Clovis? I just read his post. I wish i lived in Texas. I remember getting a quote a while ago for over $1000 for install alone

I actually just found this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NYS9XE?th=1
Old 11-18-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A $1000 top is not a nice hard top, it is a piece of crap. You will have fitment issues. A nice hard top is an OEM hard top and there are no fitment issues, Of course you are around $3,000. I think you are better off with a soft top replacement. My two cents.

like most mods is comes down to what you think looks the best. I have a OEM top and I feel the car looks a 100 times better with it on. But you cannot bet the convenience of the soft top. I remove my hardtop all the time, so I feel like I have the best of both worlds(another reason I did not buy a CR).
Old 11-18-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you enjoy top down driving and don't have dedicated space to put a top or some sort of hoist, then go w/soft top. When I had my miata once I put my hardtop it never came off due to no where to put it. I do plan on getting a hoist for my S2K hardtop.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by project2k4
Clovis? I just read his post. I wish i lived in Texas. I remember getting a quote a while ago for over $1000 for install alone

I actually just found this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NYS9XE?th=1
Yep, Clovis! His pricing was less than $1k. Not cheap, but money well spent and worth my time to drive across Texas to him.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:01 AM

my softtop got slashed so I was debating the same thing. Between hardtop or soft top replacement. I went with a 1x1 weave double carbon Mugen hardtop from Forbidden. Best decision I made, fitment is 10/10 no leaks, seals are good, and dam the carbon fiber looks amazing! I would highly recommend Forbidden hardtop!
Old 11-26-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGou
A $1000 top is not a nice hard top, it is a piece of crap. You will have fitment issues. A nice hard top is an OEM hard top and there are no fitment issues, Of course you are around $3,000. I think you are better off with a soft top replacement. My two cents.

like most mods is comes down to what you think looks the best. I have a OEM top and I feel the car looks a 100 times better with it on. But you cannot bet the convenience of the soft top. I remove my hardtop all the time, so I feel like I have the best of both worlds(another reason I did not buy a CR).
OEM hardtop is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Top Replacement Soft or Hard