S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Gernby eTune with dyno

Old 08-18-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gernby eTune with dyno

To start off, based on all the research I have done on etunes, it normally concludes with a big midrange gain and maybe 3-5 whp peak. I was aiming more for peak numbers so I was a little anxious getting an etune versus getting an actual dyno tune. But i pulled the trigger on the etune instead mostly due to the better reliability and better partial throttle. I live in Boston and the roads are always filled up with traffic even til midnight and I could not drive for 4 months due to winter, so Greg has been very patient with me because it actually took me an entire year to complete three sets of datalogs that are required.

I got my dyno done on a very hot day as my intake temps were above 97 degrees and was done on a Dynojet. I was dissapointed with my baseline which was a stock equivelent tune that was preloaded on the flashpro but I guess the numbers vary from dyno to dyno.

Mods: 4 inch tapered to a 3.5 inch intake about 40 inches long, PLM header, 3 inch Berk exhaust, 70mm Invidia test pipe, and Hondata Flashpro.

My link

[media]https://flic.kr/p/LiAf4V[/media]

Also, I know that Greg likes to set vtec at 3600rpm but I actually adjusted it to 4300rpm due to my own preference, so yes I do know more gains can be made down low.

I actually gained 21 hp in the midrange and up top I actually gained 10whp peak on a etune! That is way more than the average that I have seen. On the contrary, the numbers do seem low but as I was leaving there was another s2000 with full bolt ons with a 2.4 stroker kit and he made 218whp as well, needless to say, the dyno might have read low.

I noticed after that the tech only revved it to about 8400rpm. I thought he would have taken it to 8600 rpm because it looks like its still making power up top which might be due to my large intake and exhaust which kinda transitions my power towards the higher rpms, opposed to midrange. Also it looks like the AFRs began to rise about 8000rpm and above instead of staying flat. The tuner said that he normally makes the most power keeping it at a 13 for max power but my AFRs up top was hitting 13.5 which greg explained to me that our motors make the most power in between 13 and 13.5 and the numbers don't lie, but I was thinking why wait til 8000rpm and above to raise the AFRs?

Again, the dyno was only used to get a baseline and compare it to the tune and it performed better than I have expected with a 10whp peak increase and maybe even more if they took it to a higher rpm. I am very pleased with the whole process and greg is still touching up some areas down low on my tune so it will be even better. The end result is for $99 you get 10whp. That is basically 10 dollars per hp. Way better than any other mod you can possibly buy.

https://youtu.be/hnX6YtJg0AA
Old 08-20-2016, 12:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This sounds great. Now only if he would reply to my PM...
Old 08-20-2016, 01:08 PM

yeah he normally replies fast but I know he is pretty tied up this summer. He normally takes 5 days on average to reply to my emails but when he checks, he replies right away. Its a bit of a wait but its definitely worth it
Old 08-20-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I figured he must be backed up on work. It's all good though.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Do you have "stock" dyno numbers? I have no "before" dyno data but my '06 peaked at 221 bhp at the rear wheels after by Gernby tune. On my buddy's butt-dyno he proclaimed it to be a "beast" compared to before and to his AP1. (Mustang dyno is reputed to read low.)

3600 rpm VTEC is simply wonderful. Car cruises at 80+ mph on the "economy cam" and VTEC is just under my right foot any time I want it. With a 4300 rpm engagement VTEC will require a downshift. My tune took over a month (probably three sets of tests) as it was interrupted by two weeks out of the country and discarding the deafening Invidia Q300 exhaust and substituting a more reasonable Tanabe Medalion Touring.

-- Chuck
Old 08-21-2016, 08:07 AM

I don't have a stock dyno number, only a stock tune with the same bolt ons which got me the 208. I just uploaded a second dyno graph. It's the same dyno run but just a more detailed graph that was displayed on their computer instead of a printout with all the smoothing. You can see that the car never stops making power and at the end there is a hump of power and still going upwards so I sure if he took it to 8500 or 8600 rpms I would be around 221-223whp instead which bummed me out that he didn't
Old 08-21-2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Do you have "stock" dyno numbers? I have no "before" dyno data but my '06 peaked at 221 bhp at the rear wheels after by Gernby tune. On my buddy's butt-dyno he proclaimed it to be a "beast" compared to before and to his AP1. (Mustang dyno is reputed to read low.)

3600 rpm VTEC is simply wonderful. Car cruises at 80+ mph on the "economy cam" and VTEC is just under my right foot any time I want it. With a 4300 rpm engagement VTEC will require a downshift. My tune took over a month (probably three sets of tests) as it was interrupted by two weeks out of the country and discarding the deafening Invidia Q300 exhaust and substituting a more reasonable Tanabe Medalion Touring.

-- Chuck
What mods did you have?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:17 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Mods:

(Obligatory) K&N FIPK intake.
Berk 63.5mm high flow cat
Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhaust. This is a 60mm system into dual 50mm outlet exhaust (100mm tips).

-- Chuck
Old 08-22-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by khahoang91
I actually gained 21 hp in the midrange and up top I actually gained 10whp peak on a etune! That is way more than the average that I have seen. On the contrary, the numbers do seem low but as I was leaving there was another s2000 with full bolt ons with a 2.4 stroker kit and he made 218whp as well, needless to say, the dyno might have read low.
Ha, I'm the owner of that 2.4L stroker car you are referring to I saw your car on the dyno at Granite State when I went in to pick up my car. I'm disappointed with my numbers (219.90HP and 166.11TQ) but Alex at Granite State said that the dyno used reads ~15HP lower.

Even still my numbers are lower than a 2.4L stroker should be able to get (250-260HP). So I'm focusing on improving my intake (I only have an AEM v2 which starts as 3.5" and tapers to 2.75"). I'll be converting the AEM v2 over to using a velocity stack with filter overtop and upgrading the 2.75" section that connects to the TB to 3.5". Also, my exhaust header (Urge Unicorn) had a leak at the collector so I'm waiting for a repaired/new header from Urge before I get my car dyno'd again at Granite State.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by snitm
Originally Posted by khahoang91' timestamp='1471578394' post='24042782

Ha, I'm the owner of that 2.4L stroker car you are referring to I saw your car on the dyno at Granite State when I went in to pick up my car. I'm disappointed with my numbers (219.90HP and 166.11TQ) but Alex at Granite State said that the dyno used reads ~15HP lower.

Even still my numbers are lower than a 2.4L stroker should be able to get (250-260HP). So I'm focusing on improving my intake (I only have an AEM v2 which starts as 3.5" and tapers to 2.75"). I'll be converting the AEM v2 over to using a velocity stack with filter overtop and upgrading the 2.75" section that connects to the TB to 3.5". Also, my exhaust header (Urge Unicorn) had a leak at the collector so I'm waiting for a repaired/new header from Urge before I get my car dyno'd again at Granite State.
Thanks for the clarification, yea 219 is way too low for your 2.4 with a high end header. The 2.75 section of your intake is probably holding you back from more top end. I use to have a aem v2 in my last s2k but even going from a 3.5 to a 4 inch made a big difference for me up top.

It would make much more sense that this dyno is under by 15whp because I can't be a 208 with full bolt ons. If the math is correct than I should be at a 223whp untuned and 233 tuned if we add on that 15whp. Cause there is no way a 06 ap2 would dyno under 200whp stock. DO you by any chance have the dyno graph they gave you so I can compare?

Quick Reply: Gernby eTune with dyno