S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

I'm building the ultimate autocross tire trailer

Old 08-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you plan on attaching it to your car?
Old 08-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
I take it to save weight you'll make it out of aluminum? Looks like a very fun project. Please take lots of pictures and keep us informed of your progress.

ROD
Aluminum is not in the cards. It's gotta be steel. The deck may end up being aluminum but I'm a long way off from that. This trailer will be a little bit heavier than a harbor freight model, but it's also larger and will be much sturdier.

Originally Posted by RumRunnerS2k
how do you plan on attaching it to your car?
I assume you mean like what kind of hitch? I'll be building my own custom hitch.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In for pics and updates looks like a good project
Old 08-06-2016, 06:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Solidworks? I like it and will await the progress pics.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Assuming you've already have or have started acquiring the welding skills, and have an adequate strength MIG welder, this seems like an excellent project. Building a Harbor Freight like trailer seems to be one of the recommended welding projects. The key is decent welds with very good penetration.

However, a steel trailer could be a bit heavy for an S2k to tow. Aluminum is more a bolt-together project.

The suspension seems overly complex. Are the mountain bike shocks, made for about a 100# load, really up to the load and duty cycle you are proposing? A more conventional solution would be a torsion arm spring would be a much simpler and more targeted solution.

This aluminum 40"x42" kit for $400 has a 1000# capacity. The kit doesn't include the box or cover. http://www.northernt...60342_200660342

boyguan comment on rear overhang matches my experience. My 26' enclosed trailer, like many/most car trailers is very low. The rear scrapped in driveways and on inclines. I ended up installing 2" diameter steel rollers for the problem. This would be overkill here because the trailer can be higher off the ground. However, the trick will be positioning the load and the length of the arm to get the right tongue weight.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Assuming you've already have or have started acquiring the welding skills, and have an adequate strength MIG welder, this seems like an excellent project. Building a Harbor Freight like trailer seems to be one of the recommended welding projects. The key is decent welds with very good penetration. However, a steel trailer could be a bit heavy for an S2k to tow. Aluminum is more a bolt-together project. The suspension seems overly complex. Are the mountain bike shocks, made for about a 100# load, really up to the load and duty cycle you are proposing? A more conventional solution would be a torsion arm spring would be a much simpler and more targeted solution. This aluminum 40"x42" kit for $400 has a 1000# capacity. The kit doesn't include the box or cover. http://www.northernt...60342_200660342 boyguan comment on rear overhang matches my experience. My 26' enclosed trailer, like many/most car trailers is very low. The rear scrapped in driveways and on inclines. I ended up installing 2" diameter steel rollers for the problem. This would be overkill here because the trailer can be higher off the ground. However, the trick will be positioning the load and the length of the arm to get the right tongue weight.
This aluminum trailer is awesome and was not an option when I purchased my Northern tools steel trailer last year.

Interestingly, it's shipping weight is only about 15 less lbs than the steel trailer.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SportInjected
That looks very nice! Which trailer is this? also, what hitch are you using? Thanks!
Northern Tools 40x48 with alum box from Northern Tools.

NT trailer is better than the HF version.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:56 PM

Update: I FINALLY have acquired some steel tubing for the frame so I can start building soon. I have also modified my plans a bit for some of the details. I have decided against the underframe jack carrier due to the departure angle problem, in addition to the significant extra weight and fabrication complexity. I can place my big jack across the deck if I want but I am open to the possibility of a smaller, lighter, and hopefully cheap jack that I could put wherever. I really, really don't want to jack around with ramps so I would really like to have it clear the side jack points on a lowered car.

In response to concerns about the mountain bike shocks being up to the job, I'm actually more concerned about the bushing longevity in the eyelets. Some of my research says that the bushings don't even really last very long in there intended usage. I've been wanting to install spherical bearing in them but the largest ones I could possibly fit would only allow a 1/4" bolt to go through. That's technically strong enough, but I don't want to push anything to the extremes here. I would have loved to have found some dampers that were a little heavier duty but this was as close as I could get off the shelf with a length/ travel/ spring rate/ adjustability that I could design around. If these shocks ever die I might look into quarter midget shocks.

Sure, I could take the easy path by starting with a trailer kit or using off the shelf torsion axles, but a big part of this project is to challenge myself, learn some new skills, and sharpen the ones I already have. This project isn't meant to be totally easy.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

i love my trailing arm suspension tire trailer- tows like a dream.

It has rubber isolators and a compact design.

good luck with the build.

darcy
​​​​​​​
Old 12-11-2016, 06:40 PM

Started cutting steel for the frame today. I have about half the tubes cut so far.

Quick Reply: I'm building the ultimate autocross tire trailer