S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RC1s vs RE71s

Old 09-28-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio
I am running the RE71R and the grip level out of the box really is amazing, right up there with RC1 and NT01 when brand new. I also got a chance to try them in the wet, and they're quite good at that too. But I have been quite disappointed in a few things:

1) They overheat like a street tire and get greasy after a few laps. They don't recover after overheating as well either. The RC1 and especially the NT01 are much better in that regard.
2) The performance drop off after two track days is quite significant. My current set still has around 5/32 tread left, but the grip now is really disappointing. Data log comparing my 2nd to 3rd track day shows 5 mph apex speed loss in a highly banked 65-70 mph corner where mechanical grip is tested most. Both the RC1 and NT01 have some drop off, but they maintain their grip much better.
3) They're quite noisy for a street tire, much noisier than the RC1 and maybe about as noisy as the NT01.

I personally like NT01 out of all three of them for a dedicated track tire. But if you are playing in NASA, I would just go with RC1 for the contingency. I'll keep using the RE71R as my street tire and backup wet tire, but I won't be using the RE71R again for competition. If the RE71R needs replacing as my backup street tire, I'll buy the RE71R again, do a couple track days on them, and then retire them to street/wet use only. I'll probably be running Hoosier R7's next year in TT4.
I've had the similar experience with RE71Rs. They feel great for the first 3-4 laps but somewhat easy to overheat them and after 3-4th track day they definitely felt like heatcycled out. This wasn't the case with the NT01s as they never HC out and most people use them to the cords.At my 5th event a few weeks ago grip was not there especially in the mid-corner and the braking zones compared to NT01 (or real R comps such as Hankook Z214) slip angle was very different. The brakes also didn't give any confidence.

I am not surprised that NASA list the NT01 and RE71R with same points (6) since they may perform similarly in terms of lap times, on the first few laps and very few track events but the key/main difference here is the consistency. NT01 wins in that department and for those who want to see an improvement after extended sessions it makes sense to go with a consistent tire.

RE71Rs still might be a great choice for those who live in a very cold climate and have to DD with one set of wheels/tires or someone who only plans to attend a couple events every year but not designed for someone who drives aggressively and often. I will simply go back to NT01s and will probably get another set of wheels for winter/DD use if I ever want to use them on the street. In fact, I am going to discount tire store today to have my tires (RE71Rs) replaced with 235/255 Nt01s

I will most likely attend another event this Friday and post the results before and after
Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Interesting RC1 vs NT01 comparison: http://www.prima-racing.com/update-m...vs-nitto-nt01/
Old 09-29-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Interesting RC1 vs NT01 comparison: http://www.prima-racing.com/update-m...vs-nitto-nt01/
I've seen that one here's the second part of the comparo:
NT01 vs RE71R

I believe RE71Rs might be great tires for auto-x or light track use so no wonder they were able to get similar lap times but after 4-5 laps they behave like a typical street tires (greasy, inconsistent feel) .. I've had the tire shop install the NT01s yesterday and will be attending another track day tomorrow. I'll see how they perform against the RE71Rs
Old 09-30-2016, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by glamcem
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1475117200' post='24072296
NT01 vs RE71R

I believe RE71Rs might be great tires for auto-x or light track use so no wonder they were able to get similar lap times but after 4-5 laps they behave like a typical street tires (greasy, inconsistent feel) .. I've had the tire shop install the NT01s yesterday and will be attending another track day tomorrow. I'll see how they perform against the RE71Rs
In for review
Old 10-12-2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by glamcem' timestamp='1475170750' post='24072702
[quote name='RedCelica' timestamp='1475117200' post='24072296']
NT01 vs RE71R

In for review
[/quote]
sorry for the late reply,

I finally had a chance to test the car with the NT01 tires and I should say it definitely feels better in terms of overall grip especially at the entry and mid-corner, and as expected it provides a lot more consistent grip throughout the session (vs the RE71R which feels good for the first few laps and then greasy)

However, and this is very important, the weight difference between the RE71R and NT01 was very noticeable FYI, I had 245/40/17 SQ setup on RE71R (23 lbs each) on 17x9 Wedsport TC105N wheels NT01 on the other hand was 235/40/17 front and 255/40/17 rear and the weights are 24.5 lbs and 26.5 lbs respectively so the 1.5lbs front and 3.5 lbs rear rotational mass was noticeable and the acceleration suffered a bit not a whole a lot but noticeable. Probably the added friction(more tread width) as well as the longer gear due to larger overall size also played a role in that.. Lap times were pretty similar (1:57.9 with RE71R and 1:58.6 with NT01s) and I am pretty sure if I had a few more laps I would be able to match my previous time but maybe wouldn't be able to improve only because of the weight being the limiting factor. I am willing to bet you if the weights are the same I would be able to shave at least another second from my previous best lap time, due to added grip and confidence.

Funny thing is I did know the weight differences but never thought that it would be something I could easily feel but I did. If I had a higher horsepower car or FI setup (like my Rotrex BRZ) I would definitely keep the NT01s since there is no better tire when all things considered IMO (price, longevity, consistency, grip level,..etc) but for cars like Miata, GT86/BRZ, or S2000 and especially for those who attend Autocrosses RE71R might still be the best option. For someone ( like me) who only goes to lapping days or very serious about the tires for extended sessions they just don't cut it. I am surprised I didn't see anyone or any review mentioned the weight differences when comparing them.

I will most likely go with Trofeo R 255s next time and list the NT01s for sale. They weigh 23 lbs each so compared to RE71Rs, I will get a lot more grip while keeping the weight the same. I heard nothing but good things about those tires and since I am getting another set for street (Advanti 17x9 wheels that clear BBKs) I will be able to swap them on the track day and drive to the event.I know they won't last as long as the NT01s but they are not terribly bad either. I have a friend who used them on his Camaro 1LE and loved them. I hear they demand some negative camber and I have -3.0 degree camber all around so no issue there.

My only issue is the season is over here in PNW :/ and have to wait till Spring to test the new tires and other things such as harness bar and harnesses, stiffer springs,,etc
Old 10-13-2016, 05:31 AM

255 NT-01s good for a 9" wheel or should 245/40s be the choice? I think I have enough tread on the rs3s to make it through this season, but if not and the other set of wheels dont come through I might have to buy a treaded tire.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

255 NT01's are fine on a 9". Many of us on the west coast run that setup. 10" is ideal but 9" isn't a huge sacrifice.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:18 AM

in terms of fitment and tread width, clearence I had no issue with the NT01s (255s on 17x9 wheel) 9" wheel since it is pretty much the default configuration for that size. I have to mention though I am really happy with the offset of these Wedsport wheels and rolled my front and rear wheels and relocated the tab so YMMV..

and I am sure running on 10" rims should provide more mechanical grip ( I used to run 235 NT01s on 17x9 wheels because of that) since it's stretching those but it may not be "ideal" for those who keep their car in NA form simply because the lightest 17x10 wheel I've seen so far was 18 lbs. Combined with the already heavy tires (255 Nt01s) it adds up additional 6 lbs on each corner compared to 17x9 and 245 alternatives (or lighter Trofeo R in 255) ..that difference is YUUUUGEEE, it's something you can easily notice.. even with the new GT350, many people including Randy Pobst claim that the difference between the "R" version and the standard was pretty obvious and that's on a 3700 lbs 520 hp car, the difference is bigger than 6 lbs of course but you get the point

Another important factor, IMO, is the track layout; the tracks in CA where a lot of high speed corners and relatively less elevation changes (compared to tracks here in Pacific Northwest) this may not be an issue but in our local tracks there are many tight corners ..

Tire and wheel choice should be definitely taken into consideration since "one size doesn't fit all", I will be running the Trofeo Rs next season and compare data to see how it stands up against the NT01 and RE71R
Old 10-13-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by glamcem
in terms of fitment and tread width, clearence I had no issue with the NT01s (255s on 17x9 wheel) 9" wheel since it is pretty much the default configuration for that size. I have to mention though I am really happy with the offset of these Wedsport wheels and rolled my front and rear wheels and relocated the tab so YMMV..

and I am sure running on 10" rims should provide more mechanical grip ( I used to run 235 NT01s on 17x9 wheels because of that) since it's stretching those but it may not be "ideal" for those who keep their car in NA form simply because the lightest 17x10 wheel I've seen so far was 18 lbs. Combined with the already heavy tires (255 Nt01s) it adds up additional 6 lbs on each corner compared to 17x9 and 245 alternatives (or lighter Trofeo R in 255) ..that difference is YUUUUGEEE, it's something you can easily notice.. even with the new GT350, many people including Randy Pobst claim that the difference between the "R" version and the standard was pretty obvious and that's on a 3700 lbs 520 hp car, the difference is bigger than 6 lbs of course but you get the point

Another important factor, IMO, is the track layout; the tracks in CA where a lot of high speed corners and relatively less elevation changes (compared to tracks here in Pacific Northwest) this may not be an issue but in our local tracks there are many tight corners ..

Tire and wheel choice should be definitely taken into consideration since "one size doesn't fit all", I will be running the Trofeo Rs next season and compare data to see how it stands up against the NT01 and RE71R
I've got my eye on the Trofeo R'S as well. Should generate more grip than the nitto or Maxxis.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 AM

The Porsche spec Trofeo Rs run a bit wider than the normal ones...and it seems the normal spec are out of stock on TR.

Quick Reply: RC1s vs RE71s