S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

splitter mounting

Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Where did you get your turnbuckles? I thought the general rule was there was little downforce added and more drag with anything bigger than a 4".
McBeath's data shows that total drag changes very little between 2", 4" and 6" splitters. Front downforce does continue to increase as they get longer, with diminishing returns beyond 4". However total vehicle downforce drops very slightly between 4" and 6", because the 6" slightly increases rear lift on a non-flat-bottom car. But if you have all the spare rear downforce you need from a wing, the amount of front downforce you can get is going to be your limiting factor. You can "get back" any lost rear downforce with the wing (albeit with more drag from the increased AOA), but there's no way to "get back" front downforce if you didn't make it with the splitter. There's probably a happy medium in there somewhere that would be different depending on how much horsepower you have and what other aero you have (flat bottom, vented hood, and/or diffuser).

Practically, it's easier to trim a 6" splitter to 4" than the other way around, and those sheets of alumalite aren't free.

Rob Robinette mentioned his top speed was better with a shorter splitter, but I'd be curious about his actual lap times as well as his splitter's AOA (his follows his bumper, with no dam to flatten it out).

Oh, I should mention I want to experiment with snowplow rubber to add an additional ground-scraping dam underneath the leading edge of the splitter. Still considering options to mount it (maybe spring or something so it can bend).
Old 03-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did everyone happen to get their Alumilite?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm cheap, so I am going with 1/2" birch and making two at a time.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kiwiflavored
Where did everyone happen to get their Alumilite?
I went to a local sign company and asked them to get me a few sheets of blank alumilite. It was the first time anyone had asked that, but they did a little price-matching online and we worked it out for them to deliver it to me. Took a week or a so. I think I paid about $120-$150 per sheet delivered.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
I went to a local sign company and asked them to get me a few sheets of blank alumilite. It was the first time anyone had asked that, but they did a little price-matching online and we worked it out for them to deliver it to me. Took a week or a so. I think I paid about $120-$150 per sheet delivered.
Same thing I did, I think I paid like 180 but they were the only place out of several in town that was even willing to get it for me or stocked it.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

http://speed.academy/wp-content/uplo...pgrades-08.jpg

Splitter mocking 1.7 I'm going to build a frame this time around since my splitte will make double the down force now.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tougefactory
http://speed.academy/wp-content/uplo...pgrades-08.jpg

Splitter mocking 1.7 I'm going to build a frame this time around since my splitte will make double the down force now.
OT, but really love the writeup! From Bad To Rad To Record Breaker? Targeting The Fastest S2000’s In The USA | Speed Academy
Old 03-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Thanks man, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I'm following it, too.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
I'm following it, too.
I'll be double dipping and posting it on here to. Its called unlimited build thread on here. I'll just be getting to the details and way more photos on Speed Academy.

Quick Reply: splitter mounting