S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Thought on Fortune Auto 510 for the track?

Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
So you're saying Ohlins can be had for $1400?
i think the cheapest ohlin is 2k.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by copafeel87
I think he means $1800 + 50% = $2700.
See, you can math, I can't.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
i think the cheapest ohlin is 2k.
Retail is $2k but PM SakeBomb Garage and they can get you a much better price than that.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by yessamgerg
Retail is $2k but PM SakeBomb Garage and they can get you a much better price than that.
pretty good price for basically the best all around coilover.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
The Ohlins DFV is also a 46mm piston, an insert style damper is very important to allow for independent ride height and preload adjustment. Many people will point to this design as allowing for much more stroke compared to a cartridge style which is true however a fixed mount damper doesn't use this stroke efficiently. Due to the lack of adjustment, fixed mount dampers rely on zero rate tender springs to set the static bumpstop clearance and ride height. By coupling these two items you cannot effectively set up your car. The extra stroke allowed by the fixed design is never utilized and is simply thrown away by the zero rate tender. A cartridge design allows the static bumpstop clearance to be set to properly utilize the bumpstop as a beneficial tuning tool while allowing ride height to be set to the correct height. Cartridge style dampers admittedly have less stroke but are able to utilize the stroke fully. The damper body size on the Eibach fits a 65mm spring so it has the same outer diameter constraint as the DFV.

These Eibachs at $2700 are almost 50% more than the base DFVs. For the same price as these Eibachs you can get DFVs custom valved to match any rate swift springs you would like. Also if you wait just a few more days we will be announcing a new product that will truly blow the Eibach Multi-Pro R2 out of the water.

***As a side note implying that the TTX36 is an inferior damper to the Penske 8300 due to the 36mm piston is very misleading as it is a twin tube design and therefor a smaller piston can actually perform much better (Also with the addition of a free piston is eliminates the downsides of a traditional twin tube design). A twin tube damper can generate the same damping force with a much smaller piston with lower gas pressure, friction and hysteresis than a much larger mono-tube design. Each design has certain tradeoffs but . Both are excellent dampers and either can be set up to perform phenomenally.
I wasn't saying the TTX36 is inferior because it has a 36mm piston. But it was a conscious design tradeoff. The TTR has a 44mm piston. The large piston helps by displacing more fluid for a given movement.

I'm unaware of any racing shock that has a cartridge...although they are popular with street tuners and clearly less expensive. Saying the cartridge is an advantage is probably incorrect IMHO. There are tons of videos on YouTube showing cartridge shocks being installed. Interestingly, none seem to use scales all many involve a scantily clad woman.

I'm curious what your new shock is. Are you making it yourself or carrying a different brand?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ISADE
If you want to talk $2700 range I'm sure you're in the range of Fortune Auto's "Dreadnaught Pro 2-way" coilovers, these do have an external resevoir
Dreadnought PRO 2-WAY - Fortune Auto North America
Those seem to be $3900-$4200, or around the same as the JRZ Pro and close to the Penske 8300s (around $4500 with springs). The Penske's would probably be the best on resale by a fairly wide margin (check e-bay).

If you are a fast driver in a competitive class, have enough time or support to do tuning at the track, and either know how or know someone who knows how to tune shocks for your application, you are would see an advantage from the Penskes and TTXs. If tow across the country and lost national championships by less than a 1/10th of a second a few years in a row it is something you may want consider. On an HPDE track day or local competitive event where those extra few 10th aren't worth $1000s, any of these shocks are probably going to be ok. May to question to ask is: how often do you get new tires? Do you have the data acquisition to tell what the shock changes did? How often do you do check corner weights, ride heights, and alignment? There are lots of things that add to speed and many other things were an adjustment can affect performance.

Note that in some forms of racing shocks are a really big deal. Dirt track racers often come to the track with multiple shock/spring setups and will change as the weather gets cooler and the track drys out.

One post mentioned that the poster didn't see Fortune Auto shocks winning a lot. That is probably more a function of the driver than the shock. The difference between any of the monotubes isn't that great if they are equally setup. They are basically all just an aluminum tube with a floating separator piston between the oil and the nitrogen, a piston at the end of the shaft with passages and deflection washers that meter flow based on force, and either bleed holes in the piston or shaft to handle low speed movement. Differences come in materials used, especially the sealing between the pistons and the tubes, the design of the pistons, and how accurate the adjustments are. The reservoir adds nitrogen capacity and also operates as a base valve. The only other base valve shock for the S2k (that I am aware of) is the Penske 7500DA) which has base valve between the floating piston and the piston on the shaft. The TTX is different in design but the underlying concepts are similar. The TTR and some Penske models have a through shaft avoiding any volume change as the shock moves (e.g., the nitrogen doesn't get compressed as the shock moves). Some have a blow-off feature that reduces the force with a really fast movement, such as hitting a curb.

There are also other things to spend money on. If aero is allowed it can make a big difference, especially in the rain (there are some videos of that on the forum). Karcepts has a beautifully designed front and rear bars that very quickly adjustable over a wide range and the bar itself can be changed relatively easily. A quick way to make adjustments in mechanical balance at the track.

It will be interesting to see SakeBomb's new offering.