S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

At the track with a super light flywheel

Old 02-02-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default At the track with a super light flywheel

Getting my Flashpro and Dyno tune in a couple months and was thinking of adding a lightened flywheel. My car see's 90% track and was curious if you guys had a pro and con list besides the obvious and what your thoughts are. Obvious being better response and acceleration and I know rev-matching gets a little more difficult. To the guys who have done it are you glad or do you wish you would have left it stock?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I put a lighter flywheel in my AP2 when it needed a clutch. (think it was exedy, maybe 2 lbs lighter than AP1). I think it's a little more peppy but you need to be quicker on the shifts, the heavy AP2 allows a lazier shift of course by maintaining the momentum with its mass. I like it as I am use to a K20a2 so the F22 feels sluggish to me regarding reving.

The clutch slave cylinder should be changed from AP2 to AP1.....if you have not done that, that's a night and day difference.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Ive been running an 8lb flywheel on my F22 for a very long time, and the motor just loves it, just wants to rev, and is really responsive to your foot, making rev matching much more controllable and enjoyable. The few times I get into a stock 22lb flywheel equipped ap2 It takes a huge adjustment, the revs just hang in the air to an absurd amount and its difficult to drive. I hate it, and doesn't feel natural at all. ap2 flywheel should be used as the boat anchor it is. My truck has a lighter oem flywheel.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

In my experience, a lighter flywheel makes rev matching EASIER. If your car is 90% track, I'd say get the lightest flywheel you can as it makes shifting faster easier. Since my AP2 is predominately a street car, I went with an AP1 flywheel as I still live around some areas with 13% grade hills. But if my car were only a track car? I'd get the lightest thing possible. With a heavy flywheel, I find I have wait on both upshifts and downshifts for the revs to change to execute a clean shift.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Lighter flywheel should means better acceleration coming out of the corners which translates into faster speeds down the straight which translates into faster lap times.

I'm not sure if it translates into bigger brakes.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

When blipping for heal toe is a little easier to get in the higher RPM. Example: Shifting from 6th to 3rd at Road ATL in turn 10A
Old 02-03-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone regret a upgraded clutch over the OEM on an N/A car?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to. get an oem disk. ACT PP, and light FW. you'll be happy. The weak link in the AP2 trans is that heavy ass flywheel. the disk is actually perfectly fine.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by slowd16
No need to. get an oem disk. ACT PP, and light FW. you'll be happy. The weak link in the AP2 trans is that heavy ass flywheel. the disk is actually perfectly fine.
This. I have 11 lb flywheel and love it. This is the low limit for a car that still uses A/C. Shifting is a chore with 8 lb flywheel with the A/C on. Flywheel weight makes no difference in acceleration or mph only shifting speed. My engine builder said to put an ATI damper on the crank if i did a lighter flywheel but never did. Our bottom ends seem solid.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I got tired of my ap2 flywheel and mustered up the desire to drop the tranny to swap it (didn't touch the stock clutch). I installed an 11lb flywheel like dead serious (I'm rocking an F1 flywheel) and I love it. Car drives much better and it's much easier to heel-toe. I've run an ~8lb and ~10lb in my old cars and think I'm right around the sweet spot for a street car. Much lighter and it can be a pain putzing on the street. For a pure track car, I'd definitely go w/ the lightest possible. Oh ya, as others mentioned, remove the delay valve in your ap2 clutch slave cylinder. That also makes a big difference in terms of the clutch feel/engagement.

Quick Reply: At the track with a super light flywheel