S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Brother's best friend died last night....

Old 11-28-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brother's best friend died last night....

Hey everyone, I haven't ever posted on this part of the boards before, but I figured this would be the best time. Anyway, my brother's best friend died around 12:45 am this morning, in Olathe Kansas, after loosing control of his 93 RX-7 Turbo. He was 21 as was his passanger. They aren't completely sure what happened, but it looks like he lost control of the car due to water or ice at a high speed, went off the road and hit a heavy duty electrical pole. He and his passenger died upon impact. According to my brother and one of his other friends, his car was a race spec RX-7, no airbags, and put down about 350 whp. They also said his rear tires were not in that good of shape. Regardless of this it probably wasn't the best idea to be going as fast as they might have been, and now we are without another great person, persons. Please, please, if you ae gonna race, or drive fast on a regular road THINK before you do so. I can not imagine what the family's are going through, especially at this time of year. My brother's friend was only 21, he had his whole life ahead of him, and now it is finished.

Be safe,and think before you put your life or anyone else's in danger, peace!

Edit: I wanted to add this to the post today:

From the Olathe Daily News:

Eric T. Richards, 21, of Olathe passed away November 28, 2004. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m., Tuesday, November 30 at the McGilley & Frye Funeral Home, Olathe.
Eric was the best son, brother, and friend anyone could ever have. He loved life and its challenges, always striving for perfection, and never settling for less. Eric graduated from Olathe North High School in 2001 with honors. He was currently a senior at K-State, Salina. Eric was an avid Formula 1 race car fan, dreaming of someday being a part of that world. His presence on earth will be missed by his parents, Brian and Susan Richards; sister, Carey Richards; paternal grandparents, George and Charlotte Richards; maternal grandparents, Ted and Helen Davis; aunts and uncles, Jeri and Char Richards, Barry and Sharon Richards, Dawn and Jay Koenitzer, Kathy Pittman, Betsy and Doug Corder, and Jim and Pat McAtee.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Cat Cannon Project for Mechanical Technology at the KSU, Salina Campus c/o KSU Foundation, 2323 Anderson, Manhattan, Kan., 67205.

He was a great guy!
Old 11-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Banned

A few kids here have also died due to racing in the past weekend.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:19 PM

damn it really sucks to hear this kinda story.... everyone be safe...

and i hope his family will be ok...
Old 11-28-2004, 08:37 PM

Old 11-29-2004, 02:54 PM

I saw it on the news this morning. The car looked like a Supra on TV, like theone I raced a few months back. Sorry to hear ir was a close friend. I am glad the news said it wasn't street racing related, they always try to spin it like that. My condolences...
Old 11-29-2004, 03:24 PM

RIP
Old 11-30-2004, 09:38 AM

Thank you every one for your condolences! The funeral is today in Olathe, KS at 6 pm.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM

My sympathis, especially to your brother.

A car should never be taken for granted, especially one with a lot of power behind it.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:55 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

One could say that people who drive fast are asking for trouble...but I know from experience that bad things can happen at random.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:14 AM

Sorry to hear about it bro that sucks...

P.S. Everyone drive safe

Quick Reply: Brother's best friend died last night....