S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2K vs Camaro Z28??

Old 05-02-2001, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both, they are comparable. Don't believe it when someone says the Z is heavy breathing anywhere below 150. S2K handling is, of course better but not by as much as you might think. The Z will win a drag race almost any time if only because it is more likely to get a good launch. BTW, almost any intake/exhaust will get the LT1 over 300 hp and torque.
Old 05-03-2001, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BratBoy
[B]I beg to differ, UL.....

Those Camaros are fast, yes.....but they are much more powerful down low.
Old 05-03-2001, 12:57 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SSinfull
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by BratBoy
[b]I beg to differ, UL.....

Those Camaros are fast, yes.....but they are much more powerful down low.
Old 05-06-2001, 03:49 PM

Uh Oh! Trouble in S2k Land

See the Jan 2001 issue of Road and Track, they tested a bunch (Z3, Z8, 550 Maranello, 360 Modena, NSX, S2K, Z28 SS, C5 Z06, 911 Turbo and the Boxster)of sports cars at Thunderhill park roadcourse.

First the C5 Vette mopped the floor with everthing but the 360 Modena. It lapped more than 2 seconds faster than a 911 Turbo. You can read for you self how much quicker it was around the race track then either of the Honda entries, but I'll tell you now you won't like it.

But it gets worse, the Z28 SS turned a best lap of 2Min 16.46 secs vs the S2k 2Min 17.66. Ouch!

Now I'm waiting on a yellow S2k, so I like the car. But as a former Corvette owner (85 4+3), I speak from experience, you would be wise not to dismiss the Chevys out of hand.

-El Tianti

[Edited by ElTianti on 05-06-2001 at 05:21 PM]
Old 05-06-2001, 04:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ElTianti
[B]Uh Oh! Trouble in S2k Land

But it gets worse, the Z28 SS turned a best lap of 2Min 16.46 secs vs the S2k 2Min 17.66.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clueless idiot you speak of was Steve Millen, multi time IMSA GTP winner and series champion. I'd say his driving skill is probably beyond anything the folks on this board will ever achieve. If not for a career ending accident that broke his neck and fractured his skull, he might still be sports car racing today. You might consider his participation in a past R&T article where he piloted a Ferrari 355 around Laguna Seca to show proper lines and driving technique. He was fast enough that he was catching air over the crest before the Corkscrew....

In terms of acceleration times, they were all taken from previous tests - made on different days, at different elevations and uncorrected for conditions. So they really don't mean all that much.

On the NSX, I believe that the testers complained that the suspension felt out of sorts, delivering understeer that they hadn't felt before.

Nonetheless, the Z06 is a bona-fide track tool and a bargain at $50k - even a Zanardi edition NSX probably wouldn't have been able to keep pace. And the SS was faster, albeit on a very fast (read high speed, long straights) course that is Thunderhill (over 2 minutes a lap, you know its long!). On other tracks the S2K can run with a SS (see showroom stock racing).

Bur remember, a live rear axle is really not much of a liability on a smooth road course. In fact, it provides excellent camber control and predictable handling at a low cost (and high unsprung weight). It's only on real roads with bumps and unusual circumstances that the skittish cornering behavior of that rear suspension becomes a problem. The S2K is certainly easier to drive near the limit in these circumstances, but you really can't make a comparison there because driver fear factor almost always shows before the car's limits do.

UL
Old 05-06-2001, 08:29 PM

Never offically raced a Z28, but did decide to see what a tailgator had... coming home from work, a late model grey Z28 came up behind me at a light, when the light changed he stayed glued to my bumper... At about 20mph, still in 1st I decided to give it a go... through 1st and 2nd he stayed glued, by 3rd I started pulling him and by 4th I was pulling him easily... We ran it to the top of 4th and slowed down for a light, that was when I discoverd it was a Z28, no apparent mods, and those sculptured headlights, which I think make it a 99' or later. I tried to ask ?? at the light as to mods, etc... but all he would do was look straight ahead. Could have been an auto or a bad driver... but I pulled him w/o any problem in 3rd & 4th.
Old 05-06-2001, 08:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]And the SS was faster, albeit on a very fast (read high speed, long straights) course that is Thunderhill (over 2 minutes a lap, you know its long!).
Old 05-06-2001, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Showroom stock racing allows basic suspension mods (shocks, etc.) and the parts these guys put in are big bucks ($1000 per shock, etc.). I doubt the 1LE outperforms those tweaks. In that environment, the S2K is competitive on certain tracks (won a couple of races). Just doesn't have the hp to hang on the big tracks, but then not many cars have the hp to hang with LS1s in factory form (several cars, both Camaros and Mustang were disqualified at the nationals last year for illegal engine mods, as if the LS1 guys didn't have enough power already :-).

UL
Old 05-07-2001, 06:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SSinfull
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[b]And the SS was faster, albeit on a very fast (read high speed, long straights) course that is Thunderhill (over 2 minutes a lap, you know its long!).

Quick Reply: S2K vs Camaro Z28??