S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Advice/Opinions on trading in S2K (G35/350Z/etc)

Old 07-27-2002, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lately I've been thinking about trading my 2000 S2000 in on a new car. My eyes are on the 350Z, Acura CL Type-S, and the Infinity G35. The reasoning behind this includes hail damage/repainting, not enjoying a convertible much in our weather (humid, hot, or cold), and a bit of desire to take off fast without sounding like it takes all I got. Sound levels are another reason. And I feel like a change.

I've considered a few other options such as adding a super charger, getting a hard top, upgrading the sound system, but they are expensive, a lot of work, and I'm just not sure that will satisfy me.

I think I'm going to go test drive a 350Z. The performance numbers look great on paper. I'm wondering how well it corners though. Thats the one area I really do love my S2000 in. And while I've heard time and time again how good the shifter/transmission is in the S2K, I guess I don't see it- mine clunks through the gears and the clutch doesn't grab the way I feel it should.

Another thing I'd like to have is the Navigation system. Its just not offered in the US S2000. The 350Z does offer a $2000 unit. I'm always getting lost and I really do need something like this.

I'm also wanting to have a Stereo that sounds good again. In the past I've had cars with awesome factory stereos. I'm lucky to hear my S2000's radio. Yes, I know I can upgrade it- but frankly, it seems like a lot of effort given the available recepticles for speakers, and I just don't think its ever going to compete with the loudness of the convertible and engine.

Having said that, now I've heard the convertible 350Z is coming out in November (odd timing), and an Infinity G35 Coupe is coming out too. Then there is the 2004 S2000 next year, but I haven't heard anything that makes me think I should wait a year. Its a shame they don't leak info about their upcoming models. If I heard of more HP or torque, I might wait- but those rumors won't come out until late next year.

And now that I have only 1 car payment, I may not even want to trade up- but I've got the bug right now to get something more comfortable. What got me thinking about this was that my old POS Celica is ready for the junk pile and its air conditioning doesn't work. So I've had to start driving the S2000 daily. It does fine, but then for 3 weeks my wife was away on vacation and I started driving her Camry to work. The quiet ride was nice- and I could actually hear the radio. I don't want a Camry, but something with great performance, a hard top, a good sound system, quiet (relatively speaking), and a Navigation System would do nicely. I'm thinking this describes both the 350Z and the Infinity G35. I'm just afraid that I'm misreading my feelings and maybe its the automatic that is relaxing to me when I drove the Camry half asleep to work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the G35 vs 350Z? Nissan owns Infinity, right? Are these cars relatives? Is the G35 Coupe simply going to be a 350Z with the luxury options of an Infinity? I'm not sure about waiting for the 350Z Convertible- though I suppose it would be better to see it before deciding for or against it. Also, what are the prospects for cheap tuner parts on the 350Z? $5000 for a supercharger on the S2000 is a bit high IMHO.

Oh, don't forget the RX-8, but what I read about it led me to believe it might not be as powerful (hp/lb) as I'd like. I'd have to wait until next year to see...ugh.

My wife suggested maybe I just get rid of the Celica, keep the S2000 and buy a WRX as a daily driver. But part of the desire for the 350Z is its torque and HP numbers, and I'm not sure if the WRX would be such a confortable ride to work. It would be good for the Winter months- and this is in part what I'm concerned about. If I didn't get another car, I'd have to put snow tires on the S2000 and subject it to road salts.

I'm a bit torn... I want Torque, I want HP, I want quiet, I want fast, I want good audio, and I want a few luxury items, and I really don't have the money for a NSX, nor do I have time for Honda to reveal the details of the 2004 S2000 to see if its worth the wait.

-B
Old 07-27-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should go for the G35 coupe, it combines everything you are looking for, plus it's better looking than the Z.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:41 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are going to move up - why not wait for the 04 launch of the Skyline? I don't think the Z will be that much different - that thing weighs 500 more lbs than the s2k!!!

lig
Old 07-28-2002, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for Infiniti and yes Nissan does own Infiniti like Toyota/Lexus Honda/Acura etc. if I were you I would just get the G35 coupe its a bad a55 car we should be getting it late october early november it comes with 5 spd auto or the 6spd man w/ 275hp and 260lbs tor and much better than the 350z but if you want it fully loaded it will cost you a lot just bout $37 k
Old 07-28-2002, 02:46 PM

The G35 is a great car.

new G35 coupe rear shot

I'm moderator on the fresh alloy Infiniti forums. Feel free to stop by the G35 forum here:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/po...llapsed&sb=5&o=
Old 07-28-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by s2k2004
I think you should go for the G35 coupe, it combines everything you are looking for, plus it's better looking than the Z.
Same here, I really like the G35 coupe, very sleek, very modern...
Old 07-28-2002, 03:07 PM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

How does the G35 stack up when it comes to handling?
Old 07-28-2002, 03:16 PM

G35 sedan handles very well for a sedan, but is no S2000.

It sounds like Byron wants a sporty cruiser more than a sports car, so I would say to stay away from the 350Z. The 350Z will not be all that quiet with its sports tuned exhaust and will ride pretty firmly also.

My recommendation is the G35 Coupe. Still sporty enough for your mild requirements, but a comfortable GT car as well that is loaded with all the toys for you to play with at a very reasonable price.

The VQ35DE engine delivers torque out the tailpipes. If torque is what you want, this engine delivers it in spades. You can get an automatic that you can shift manually when you want, which sounds like just what you are looking for.

The 350Z, G35, G35Coupe, Nissan Stagea wagon (only in Japan) and upcoming GTR are all based on the same FM platform and are rear drive (Stagea has AWD option that will see use on GTR)

I'd get my order in now, though, as they will sell like hotcakes, and the price will be aggressive as well.

Go drive a G35 sedan, and use that as a base point.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by dlq04
How does the G35 stack up when it comes to handling?
Road and Track comparo with 11 other cars

Motor trend comparo

The g35 took first place. These reviews are for the sedan, but are a good read.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:07 PM

the coupe looks gorgeous. before i got my s2k i was going to wait for the g35 coupe 6-spd....

maybe when it comes out i'll need a 2nd car.

Originally posted by Jason B
The G35 is a great car.

Quick Reply: Advice/Opinions on trading in S2K (G35/350Z/etc)