S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP2 totalled? Valuation?

Old 01-29-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 totalled? Valuation?

First things first - this bone stock 05 with 41k miles deserved careful stewardship and I blew it.

What happened: I have a bad cold and didn't realize I was impaired - can't think of any other explanation for over-correcting and crashing doing something I'd done dozens of times before. No excuses - I was coming home from work, sober, rested, and not using my phone, on clean pavement, on a 55F day. At 40-50 mi/hr it rotated counter-clockwise and the right rear quarter hit a jersey wall. It's inexcusable and my fault.

The data so far: It appears the hit was close to flat but was hard enough to shatter the brake rotor. The back right side is lower, the wheel is frozen, there was oil under the car, and several grey bushings on the ground. The top is misaligned at the windshield by more than a half inch (say more than 10 mm) and a very small amount of paint flecked off on the driver's side behind the down (whole body flexed?).

In prep.for the initial meeting with the body shop and insurance adjuster:

1. What damage do we need to look for in particular?

2. What cannot be fixed?

3. What is the proper way to determine if the "x-frame" is bent? What, if any, frame damage is acceptable?

4. Are there any unacceptable sources of parts, etc? Unacceptable repair methods?

At this point I'm guessing there is a good probability the car is or should be totaled (IMHO). This car is completely stock, properly maintained, never abused, in good but not immaculate condition, and with only 41 000 miles It really only needed repainting of the rear bumper cover. Negotiating with my insurance co. effectively probably requires documented comparable sales.

What is the best data showing actual condition and sales price of comparable cars in the mid-Atlantic (USA) region? How does one adjust for mileage and differences in condition?

Are there reputable providers of assessments and how would I find one? Is the cost worth it?

Sincere thanks for thoughtful responses.
Attached Thumbnails AP2 totalled? Valuation?-dsc_0060a.jpg   AP2 totalled? Valuation?-dsc_0059a.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 AM

Recently went threw this and they wanted to fix it.... insurances tried to go cheap on everything. Make sure you stay in top of them
Old 01-29-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

First off, I'm sorry, that sucks. Similar to the damage I caused to a past miata. If possible, I'd have it towed home and do a lot of inspection yourself. Get underneath it, etc... DO NOT have it towed to a shop. They could start charging you/your insurance storage and try to tie your hands and forcing you to getting it fixed. Have your adjuster come to your house and be there to point out damage ask questions, etc..

In my case I did this and got a very fair settlement not sure if it was handling the way I did or due to my insurance company being decent. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
RocketRider (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I hope the officer was at least cool.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry to hear.
That is totaled 100%. No question. Don't take their (insurance company's) first offer on the total - do your research on what it's worth and have examples. Take the money and get yourself another one.
If they don't want to total it I'd push for it to be totaled. I doubt it will be hard to total it though. You have frame damage, mechanical damage and multi-panel damage, doesn't get much worst.
That will never drive normal again even if they do try and fix it.
RocketRider (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the answers, esp. MrFunk.

The State Trooper was great. He had a ton of specific questions trying to figure out exactly what happened. I was totally respectful and won him over completely when I said "I don't know" to most of them and then said "I don't think I was going fast or did anything silly .... BUT ... look at my car. It was a one car crash, so obviously it was completely my screw-up." We then talked about cars and he showed me accident pictures on his personal cell phone. No ticket and nothing placed on my record and he hung out with me until the tow truck arrived.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Oh - blackbook weekly values. Good place to start for your car's value.
Black Book Weekly Values Lite
Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If no frame damage then I don't see anything that may possibly total this car. What do you kbb your car at? 16-17k? I don't see 13k in damages.
IA_ap1vin7583 (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vasquezgno
If no frame damage then I don't see anything that may possibly total this car. What do you kbb your car at? 16-17k? I don't see 13k in damages.
Rear quarters and wheelwells on a unibody car are considered frame damage. If it has to be cut out, it's frame damage. If that rear area took a high hit (like from an suv bumper) it might be under 10k. But he's obviously gonna need a rear subframe and all the right side suspension. Then there's the issue of damage and sway to the rear subframe mounting points. It's not getting fixed.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Unfortunately I cannot provide much data with your questions but I'm sure others can..

I'm just glad you're all right man, things like this can be scary at times and sometimes can even cause those in the accident to be deathly afraid to go back behind the wheel (I had a similar incident on one of my motorcycles years ago).

Stay up, hope all works out for you.

Quick Reply: AP2 totalled? Valuation?