S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Asking s2k experts if this car looks good to purchase

Old 01-14-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Asking s2k experts if this car looks good to purchase

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this site for a few months now learning what I can before purchasing a s2k.
On a pretty tight budget but I found a 2005 with 115k miles. It is two states away so I asked the for pictures of the engine bay and underbody before I take the 3+hours drive.
Im hoping I can get some s2k experts here to weigh in on how this car looks based on the pics. I understand it's not the best approach but wanted to start somewhere. And sorry for some crappy pics and angles but this is all I have to go by for now.
The only thing I see of concern may be oil stain on the passenger side of the tranny. Not sure where this may come from.
Any thought on this car?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Oil stain may just be indication that it's been changed / maintained frequently similar stain on the diff. The other big $$ questions are what condition is the top in and do the VIN stickers on all of the body panels match? What about interior, seats, steering, wheel, armrest, etc.. condition? Has it been smoked in? These are all items that the PO of my car got beat up on and really drove the value down.

I'd guess by looks of the underneath it has seen a bit of salt. On a plus side the engine has remained stock. What is the asking price?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

It looks fine to me. Could use a good cleaning underneath. Looks don't always tell you all that much though. Any body work ever done? If so what and why? Good compression? Engine sound good? Transmission and clutch working well. Does it run straight and true down the road? Brakes good? Top? Interior condition? Etc. etc.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the opinions.
All 10 VINs match. No accidents, at least on the AutoCheck report.
Brand new top.
new front rotors and pads. Valve adjustment and new plugs. All done at a honda dealership except top, not sure what brand or where that was done.
Cons:
-It has some cheap tires uniroyal tiger paw but its brand new. Never heard of it?
-front bumper has some scratches and scrapes and one nasty swirl. I would think a body shop can fix that?
-the console armrest is beat up. But I think that's an easy replacement.
-the wheels have some curb rash which I can get refinish if I wanted to

asking is $14.5K. I think it's a little high though.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

That does seem high for that car. I would probably hope to get closer to 12 or so.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Oil stain may just be indication that it's been changed / maintained frequently similar stain on the diff. The other big $$ questions are what condition is the top in and do the VIN stickers on all of the body panels match? What about interior, seats, steering, wheel, armrest, etc.. condition? Has it been smoked in? These are all items that the PO of my car got beat up on and really drove the value down.

I'd guess by looks of the underneath it has seen a bit of salt. On a plus side the engine has remained stock. What is the asking price?
is the tranny stain a common area to have staining? I would of thought the other side where the drain and fill areas are would be. Not sure what is above the passenger side tranny that could drop oil there.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Definitely not a Southwest/California car! From what I can see, no major damage/panel replacements. Good comments from above.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ddong2lee
is the tranny stain a common area to have staining? I would of thought the other side where the drain and fill areas are would be. Not sure what is above the passenger side tranny that could drop oil there.
maybe the oil filter?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Definitely not a Southwest/California car! From what I can see, no major damage/panel replacements. Good comments from above.
haha yes. Northeast car. So as someone else mentioned, looks like it's been on some salty roads.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

If it were me I would do a compression test or pay to have one done.

Quick Reply: Asking s2k experts if this car looks good to purchase