S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need your help!!

Old 01-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your help!!

Whats up guys, I am ready to go and buy a 2003 Berlina Black s2k on Friday. Deal worked out already. The car has 93k on it, salesman has sent me several pics and videos. I asked for a video of the car driving and during the video he drives the car hard through each gear, sounds great. Afterwards he sends me another video with the car idling and the CEL is on, he states the code came up and he shows the scanner live reading and one code P1399 MISFIRE IN ANY CYLINDER came up. Ive done some researching and people are saying all kinds of things, spark plugs, bad injectors, coil packs, low compression. I really want to get this car and plan on doing all the 100k maintenance as soon as I get it. What do you guys think it could be most likely, should I continue with the buy? Much appreciated
Old 01-18-2017, 04:16 PM

Get a compression test, if the numbers are consistent then you know the engine is healthy.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by BlakeNFR
Get a compression test, if the numbers are consistent then you know the engine is healthy.
What are the number ranges for each cylinder that shows the motor is healthy? I will ask for a compression test. Anything below what number is a bad sign? Thanks
Old 01-18-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Get a compression test and then beat them up hard on the misfire code. Odds are likely it's coil packs or injectors and they'll have a tough time selling the car with a check engine light so get a discount.,
Old 01-18-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have dealer or competent independent shop check it out before purchase. Could be issue if you are a distance from it but well worth the trouble and expense. Arrange details your self. Not on word of car lot or salesman. Better alittle effort/money now than alot of effort/money later. Also let shop do routine pre-purchase inspection.

Last edited by Halfassjack; 01-18-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 PM

Also a compression test is not the end-all be-all of motor condition. Too much money to gamble on.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Get a compression test and then beat them up hard on the misfire code. Odds are likely it's coil packs or injectors and they'll have a tough time selling the car with a check engine light so get a discount.,
I will definitely aim for getting a discount, and will ask for compression test Thursday. Going to go look at it on Friday, 2 hour drive.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Halfassjack
Have dealer or competent independent shop check it out before purchase. Could be issue if you are a distance from it but well worth the trouble and expense. Arrange details your self. Not on word of car lot or salesman. Better alittle effort/money now than alot of effort/money later. Also let shop do routine pre-purchase inspection.
The car is 2.hours away so Im going to call and ask them to do a compression test Thursday since I'm driving there Friday. Good advice
Old 01-18-2017, 07:28 PM

Need to make sure of repair cost. I was in car buisness (retired honda tech) and dont trust many if any lots. I bought 2003 s 3 months ago. Paid 1 grand. Had to spend alot on randum things. Needed all kinds of work. Its a rag with 66000 miles confirmed but its my beater. Stuff on these cars get expensive quickly.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Halfassjack
Need to make sure of repair cost. I was in car buisness (retired honda tech) and dont trust many if any lots. I bought 2003 s 3 months ago. Paid 1 grand. Had to spend alot on randum things. Needed all kinds of work. Its a rag with 66000 miles confirmed but its my beater. Stuff on these cars get expensive quickly.
I agree. Going to take it for a thorough test drive, and see if the CEL comes on again. Going to bring the price down and bring her home to start all the maintenance. I have a e36 that I daily as well

Quick Reply: I need your help!!