S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Student - Need all info

Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Much depends on your area, all cars are subject to vandals.
Levi
Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Depends on where you are. There are stories about this car being left in apartment parking lots and something happens to it.

I leave mine top down in my town for errands and not worry about it. Nothing in the open to steal. I would not leave the top down overnight. However, in other urban environments I would be careful. Mine is in a garage at home but we take it out on the weekends for drives and stay at hotels/B&bs etc and leave it out parked.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

^^^Pretty much the same here, when out and about the main reason I close the top is I don't want birdpoop on the seats. I figure if someone really wants something they will do what they want to get it.
Levi
Old 03-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Depends on where you are. There are stories about this car being left in apartment parking lots and something happens to it.

I leave mine top down in my town for errands and not worry about it. Nothing in the open to steal. I would not leave the top down overnight. However, in other urban environments I would be careful. Mine is in a garage at home but we take it out on the weekends for drives and stay at hotels/B&bs etc and leave it out parked.
Originally Posted by NNY S2k
^^^Pretty much the same here, when out and about the main reason I close the top is I don't want birdpoop on the seats. I figure if someone really wants something they will do what they want to get it.
Levi
Is there really good alarm system for convertible cars especially?
Do you guys know any or recommend any specifically for the honda s2000 roof cutting issue people are having?
A system where if anyone gets even close to the car/car roof the alarm system will go off before they even touch it.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rpnp
Is there really good alarm system for convertible cars especially?
Do you guys know any or recommend any specifically for the honda s2000 roof cutting issue people are having?
A system where if anyone gets even close to the car/car roof the alarm system will go off before they even touch it.
I think the biggest piece of mind will come from a hardtop. A lot of people don't even bother to lock their soft top cars. Rather have the thief take what they were after with as little damage as possible.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Parking any ragtop out in the open overnight is asking for trouble. Especially a car as noticeable as the S2000. The typical stolen/stripped S2000 is in an apartment parking lot, or on the street, or where it can be seen from a busy street. "Couldn't find a parking place at my apartment so I parked (fill in the blank)." Parking at a known "sketchy" spot is sure to have trouble. Apartments (and campuses) are usually at least quasi-sketchy parking spots to start with. Many guys go years parking at these places but that doesn't make them safe.

If I determine up front parking will seem risky I simply don't take the S2000. This car as an "only car" can be very inconvenient.

Ever heard a car alarm going off? We all have. No one, though, has ever seen anyone do anything positive about it, just complain about the noise.

I'd get a BRZ if I wanted a 2-seater (seats grocery bags in the rear) and was a "student" of any type parking on campus or an apartment.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 03-11-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Parking any ragtop out in the open overnight is asking for trouble. Especially a car as noticeable as the S2000. The typical stolen/stripped S2000 is in an apartment parking lot, or on the street, or where it can be seen from a busy street. "Couldn't find a parking place at my apartment so a parked (fill in the blank). Parking at a known "sketchy" spot is sure to have trouble. Apartments (and campuses) are usually at least quasi-sketchy parking spots to start with. Many guys go years parking at these places but that doesn't make them safe.

Ever heard a car alarm going off? We all have. No one, though, has ever seen anyone do anything positive about it, just complain about the noise.

I'd get a BRZ if I wanted a 2-seater (seats grocery bags in the rear) and was a "student" of any type parking on campus or an apartment.

-- Chuck
A BRZ/FRS is a great choice for this poster. You can get lightly used models in his or her price range, still have a warranty, has a hard top, and has a healthy aftermarket.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpnp
Hey guys, I am currently a medical student and off to get my first car as a gift to myself.
I've looked around for many cars and I was stuck between a porsche boxster, mazda mx-5 miata, and a honda s2000.
I will be buying a used one.

After a-lot of research on many forums I came down to choosing between the porsche boxster and honda s2000. I really wanted the porsche boxster but as a student I simply can't afford the maintenance costs if something goes wrong with the porsche boxster so I started leaning towards the honda s2000.

One big thing for me was long road trips & smooth rides and the fact that the honda s2000 is a 4 cylinder car.
I'll be very honest and say I dont know much about cars at all.

I wanted to know the following and any extra information if possible:

1) Because the honda s2000 is a 4 cylinder car does it shake like crazy and can you feel the vibrations?
2) How comfortable is it on long road trips as I love doing them as long as the car is smooth as butter ..... I simply hate vibrations on long trips.
3) I have watched a-lot of youtube video's and on each one I see the person shaking or the stick shifter shaking from the vibrations of the car ... is this true?
4) Is the Honda s2000 reliable enough to go ahead and buy them with around 100k miles and expect them to last another 100k miles?
5) Is it worth paying $25,000+ for these cars when you can get a porsche boxster for around the same price?

I am not that knowledgeable about cars so I hope you can forgive me.

Thanks!
I don't have much experience with the boxster but I've had 4 911's so you may take my input as you please.

1. Doesn't shake like "crazy" but yes, you feel it, especially at idle.
2. The double wishbone suspension is amazing. A well looked after car feels like it is gliding on the highway. As long as you keep the motor up there is very little vibration.
3. The shifter is literally built into the transmission. This looks crazy but feels like nothing else out there-it is amazing.
4. Again, depends on how it has been cared for.
5. That's up to you. A flat motor will always have less vibration. It seems like that is something that is very important to you. As you can see Honda has tried to angle the motor to reduce vibration but it is still there. When I replaced my engine/trans/diff mounts with brand new OEM replacements there were still vibrations. Nothing is like a flat motor. On my 911's and FRS it doesn't matter how high you rev the motor-you just hear it and feel nothing.

Hope this helps you.

I'll leave this photo here to give you a visual of where the shifter connects in the car and the slight angle of the motor.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

As others have kind of stated you may want to look elsewhere. As reliable as s2000's can be they are at best 8 years old. It's not a great combination to not be car savvy and owning an older car especially something like the S. I wouldn't recommend the P-car either but that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Good luck on the degree and rest assured you'll be able to easily afford an S and pay someone to maintain it once you complete your studies and start making the big bucks.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are simply awesome!
Thanks for all the help.

The thing about becoming a doctor is the fact that you might make big bucks but it's so far along the road of life that when you do start making money .... the same enthuasiasm as I might have now won't last when I'm 30+.

This is why I wanted to get the best car I can possible afford so I don't regret not having fun in life & simply studying 24/7.

Quick Reply: Student - Need all info