S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking sound upon acceleration from a dead stop

Old 01-20-2021, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clicking sound upon acceleration from a dead stop

Hey all,

So I've been hearing a clicking sound coming from the rear; I hear it most of the time, but not always. I did have the axle nut TSB done by Billman a few weeks ago hoping it would resolve, but it hasn't. I've been under the car and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

My car is lowered, could this have anything to do with worn inner CV cups? I've been meaning to do this job as it has been about 30k miles or so since the coilover install. I'm not entirely sure if I am hearing the vibration that this may cause; I did hear a strange and loud vibration sound a while back during a long spirited day in the mountains, but I haven't since. I figured it was vibrations from the plastics of my recently acquired OEM hardtop.

Any input on this issue would be appreciated! Also, if anyone has any videos of the sound of a worn inner CV cup, that would be helpful before I decide to do the job.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2021, 06:04 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I'd guess axle cups you mentioned. Its a relatively easy swap for the initiated.
darcy
Old 01-21-2021, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was about to make a thread about a similar issue.

Two things.

Mine makes an initial crunchy gear noise when starting off that may or may not be normal. Basically as the clutch grabs and as the free play is taken up it's a little crunch.

Second: I've got a clutch buzz noise that has kind of increased and seems to encompass a larger rev range than it has before (can happen between 4500 and 2000 rpm vs clutch buzz's usual 3k-4k) and seems to be coming ever so slightly from the rear. It happens on light throttle application and shifts in between the acceleration and deceleration. It sounds almost like what I imagine a very slightly loose axle would, or vibration in a worn bearing or something. Does anybody have any videos of what CV cup wear sounds like? It does sound as though it's either coming from the rear of the car or the axle itself. It's hard to isolate because of the combination with clutch buzz but I believe it is a separate and new noise.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost like this:

I see in the comments to check Transmission output shaft or diff mounts.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:27 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

That may be the wheel bearing going south. When starting from a dead stop and you hear a rattle crunch type noise it's usually rear wheel bearings.

You can buy a good used knuckle to save time.