S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AGM battery

Old 10-17-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default AGM battery

Need a replacement battery for my S2K and kinda like the idea of an AGM battery. I see AC Delco makes one that is the group 51 size, but uses smaller posts that fit the Prius. Some Japanese sized battery posts or something, but that can be remedied by using some battery post shims. Here's a link to the battery: https://amzn.com/B010GKJ8F6 Thinking I might try this out. Haven't had good experiences with Optima, and will never buy another Interstate. Its too cold here to deal with a lithium ion battery. Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

What happened with the Interstate battery? Know several friends that have had good service with Interstate and live in cold climates. Like Lake Tahoe and Montana.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Try going to your local Honda dealer for a price on a OEM replacement battery, You may find that they offer a very good price and a better warrantee than most auto parts stores do.

I had to replace the battery in my friends CRV and Honda gave us a OEM Honda battery with a 5 year warrantee for just over $100
Old 10-17-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I've been running a Braille 17 lb battery for over 2 years, more CCA than the stock battery, 13 lbs lighter too. This isn't one of those toy batteries, it turns the engine over with more power than much larger batteries, it's an AGM design. I've been very happy with the performance of this battery, I go several weeks between drives and never have to trickle charge it, just start up and go. It is more expensive than a regular battery but worth the cost to me. This performs better than the yellow top it replaced.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD
Try going to your local Honda dealer for a price on a OEM replacement battery, You may find that they offer a very good price and a better warrantee than most auto parts stores do.

I had to replace the battery in my friends CRV and Honda gave us a OEM Honda battery with a 5 year warrantee for just over $100
I agree. I was going to go for the Costco battery but I called my parts guy at the dealer. They installed a new one for $95! Sold!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AGM batteries are very heavy! Just go with a reagular or Lithium ion if you want an upgrade
Old 10-18-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Thats a pretty weak battery, it has 325 CCA and thats not very much if you live where it gets cold. Hell my motorcycle battery has 310 CCA. I got my battery from Costco and the first one lived 4 years and when I went back to Costco they took about 1/3 of the price off my new battery. And I think the CCA of my Costco battery has 550 CCA. Never fails to start the car(unless you leave the lights on for two days).LOL

ROD
Old 10-18-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I don't know why they don't make batteries with built in super caps. I'd gladly pay $250 for a li-ion battery with a balancing circuit and 6 super caps. This would easily handle cranking, jump starts, and start in practically any weather. Not to mention considerably lighter and could easily fit in the trunk even leaving room for the spare.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
What happened with the Interstate battery? Know several friends that have had good service with Interstate and live in cold climates. Like Lake Tahoe and Montana.

Thanks!
Bought an older Tundra and needed a new battery right away so went to Interstate and got whatever they recommended. 3 years later, mysteriously just out of warranty it was not starting the truck in the cold. Interstate would not replace it of course. Went elsewhere and they sold me the correct battery for the truck. Interstate sold me a smaller battery than what the truck really needs. Here in ND in the -40 winters, we need as big of a battery as possible. 2nd bad experience with Interstate was when I bought a WRX that had an Interstate battery that was once again dead, mysteriously a couple months out of warranty. Had to pay for another one. I'll go elsewhere.

Doesn't look like there are many AGM battery options out there for us, so maybe I'll take the chance, maybe just go back to Batteries Plus and get another quality battery.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
Bought an older Tundra and needed a new battery right away so went to Interstate and got whatever they recommended. 3 years later, mysteriously just out of warranty it was not starting the truck in the cold. Interstate would not replace it of course. Went elsewhere and they sold me the correct battery for the truck. Interstate sold me a smaller battery than what the truck really needs. Here in ND in the -40 winters, we need as big of a battery as possible. 2nd bad experience with Interstate was when I bought a WRX that had an Interstate battery that was once again dead, mysteriously a couple months out of warranty. Had to pay for another one. I'll go elsewhere.
Sorry, to hear that. I don't think I've heard of this kind of failure with Interstate. Been using them for 25 years.

Well, there are plenty of other good brands out there. OEM Honda ones (Panasonic, Matsushita?) seem very good.

Quick Reply: AGM battery