S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Air Pump Delete Causing oil consumption?

Old 02-12-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air Pump Delete Causing oil consumption?

Hello all, I recently switched to Kpro and while I was at it I deleted the air pump. Ever since then I have noticed that my car burns nearly twice as much oil as it used to. Before I would burn a quart every 2500ish miles and now I'm burning a quart closer to every 1000-1200 miles. The only big difference between before and now is I installed Kpro, upgraded the oil jets, put ap2 retainer in, and deleted the air pump. Im not sure what is causing the oil consumption as my leak down and compression were both good. Could it be the PCV valve sucking up more oil than usual with those hoses from the air pump plugged off? I have a fairly rich tune in it right now which will be fixed in the next week as we are going to touch it up on the dyno some more. Really at a loss on what else it could be.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install a catchan
Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

The air Pump only does anything on cold startup, so I doubt that is your issue. You didn't have any issues with the retainer install (I.e dropped something that could have slipped into the engine) OR with the oil jets did you? My concern based on the dramatic change right after is a scored cylinder.

Last edited by bgoetz; 02-12-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

In order to cause consumption of oil with a PCV, which a catch can would solve, you would have to be taking a lot of sustained HARD right handers. Since you installed a K Pro you obviously had to put an AP2 DBW valve cover on right?

What kind of oil are you using?
Do you have any oil leaks, weeps or seeps externally?
Spark plugs are dry? Did you tear the valve cover boots and is all the oil ending up in the spark plug tubes?

Running too rich is obviously not a good thing, excessive gas can wear the piston rings or excessive gas fumes could possibly make it past the piston rings (which is true blow by) and break down the oil in the crank case.
People always think turning on your car and using the idling map is a good thing to warm up their cars, but the best thing to do is to just drive around slowly and light engine load.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by gptoyz
In order to cause consumption of oil with a PCV, which a catch can would solve, you would have to be taking a lot of sustained HARD right handers. Since you installed a K Pro you obviously had to put an AP2 DBW valve cover on right?

What kind of oil are you using?
Do you have any oil leaks, weeps or seeps externally?
Spark plugs are dry? Did you tear the valve cover boots and is all the oil ending up in the spark plug tubes?

Running too rich is obviously not a good thing, excessive gas can wear the piston rings or excessive gas fumes could possibly make it past the piston rings (which is true blow by) and break down the oil in the crank case.
People always think turning on your car and using the idling map is a good thing to warm up their cars, but the best thing to do is to just drive around slowly and light engine load.

Using AMSOIL OE 10-30 full synthetic. Yes have the new valve cover. No leaks on the outside of the engine that I have noticed. Spark plugs were dry last time I pulled them a couple weeks ago. I have noticed at times that I can kinda smell burnt oil through the exhaust pipes. It has also given me a little trouble starting where it turns over for 3 or 4 extra seconds before actually starts. Also not sure how the cylinder would've gotten scored as it hasn't had any problems or been ran low on oil at all. Still has plenty of power. This is what the plug looked like a couple weeks ago. Plug had around 7k on it.

Last edited by Mullallyman; 02-12-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
The air Pump only does anything on cold startup, so I doubt that is your issue. You didn't have any issues with the retainer install (I.e dropped something that could have slipped into the engine) OR with the oil jets did you? My concern based on the dramatic change right after is a scored cylinder.
no issues with the install at all. Everything went smooth.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

If your smelling burnt oil and issues starting, I would suspect some other issue. What do the dyno #s look like?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mullallyman
Using AMSOIL OE 10-30 full synthetic. Yes have the new valve cover. No leaks on the outside of the engine that I have noticed. Spark plugs were dry last time I pulled them a couple weeks ago. I have noticed at times that I can kinda smell burnt oil through the exhaust pipes. It has also given me a little trouble starting where it turns over for 3 or 4 extra seconds before actually starts. Also not sure how the cylinder would've gotten scored as it hasn't had any problems or been ran low on oil at all. Still has plenty of power. This is what the plug looked like a couple weeks ago. Plug had around 7k on it.
If your smelling burnt oil and issues starting, I would suspect some other issue. What do the dyno #s look like?

196 on a dyno that is known to read low.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mullallyman

196 on a dyno that is known to read low.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Just did a compression check right now and got these numbers

Quick Reply: Air Pump Delete Causing oil consumption?